• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Mounting for an AR platform can?

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    What is the best.... Ok, wait, I'm not going to ask that.

I'm looking at getting a can to use for AR platforms. Most of mine are 556. In looking at the various cans out there there seem to be a number of mounting systems and I'm trying to understand the options. Help me understand mounting them.

I get the simplicity of direct thread. Cheap, light, easy, except you probably don't want to be screwing a hider/brake on and off if you aren't using the rifle with a the can, so you at lest need a thread protector. At least that is what I think is the case.

(I was about to pull the trigger on a Saker when realized I didn't understand the attachment, and I want to understand it before I want to drop ½ of the price of the can for muzzle devices.)

Hard to beat a Saker. Wish all my AAC cans were Sakers! It has a quadrilateral base that allows the can to fit on only one way and it slips down and you tighten the can around the flash hider, it'll ratchet, until it stops. Make sure it's all the way on. When it comes off, you'll feel it "click" as it unlocks and then it just pulls off. No-shit twist on, twist off with wrist action only! It's a badass way of doing it. Saker goes on solid and has good performance. It's one of the best hard use cans made. It's also very flexible, they offer a lot of options for it. I have the 5.56 version, but I hear the 7.62 can with the 5.56 end cap is actually quieter (they have replaceable end caps, more for the 7.62). Makes sense, it's also longer. Flash hider has 3 prongs all different lengths, so it doesn't "TWAAAAAANG" like the AAC mount, or any other flash hider with symmetric prongs does.

For a hard use can, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one for a better price. Saker for the win. I have the regular one I think, but there's a new one that's shorter. I can tell you that the regular 5.56 Saker isn't that long to begin with, and with the brake or flash hider, it'll only add 4.5" or so I'd guess. A 6" suppressor wrap fits it perfectly and leaves a bit of the ratcheting portion uncovered.

I have a 7.62 KAC QDC and I don't think they suppress as well as others but it has a solid mount and it's light for what it is. Mount is one of the best, uses cage flash hiders or this unique MAMS brake that have index pins on top. There are dimples around the mount. The can has a ratcheting sleeve over the can and after the can is indexed on the pin, it ratchets down until it locks, won't go anymore. Length added isn't bad, 5.5"?. Likely a very good "all around" rifle can, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Looks really nice, but hey, most of 'em do out of the box! It's also expensive.

KAC also makes a QD can that uses regular A2 flash hiders for QD mounts. Yeah, A2 flash hiders. That's nice, huh?

AAC has the worst mount. Stay away. They're all bad. Only their direct thread cans are any good.

Elite Iron makes a solid can and it uses a mount similar to TBAC, it threads over the brake. Solid cans are made like tanks and aren't too costly.

TBAC makes a hard use 5.56 can different from their regular titanium cans. That'll thread over the brake too I'm sure. The thread over brakes are just about as good as direct thread. Their regular cans, if you don't push 'em or overheat 'em, are about as good as they get. Perform well in all categories.

Liberty makes good .22 cans, some of the best in fact, but not a fan of their rifle cans. Never tried 'em, but they don't look like they're built to handle much abuse.

There's others but those are from my experience. I stay away from gimmicks until someone comes out with something that's a gamechanger.

Sico, TBAC, Elite and KAC to a point are my choices.

I chose Surefire for the mount. Very solid, very repeatable. I use my 5.56 SOCOM RC2 on ARs and a .223 bolt gun.

The only other mount I have experience with is the 51T AAC. I concur with Stryker above, stay away.

Don't try attaching the Saker on the mount without the mount FULLY secured to the rifle. If you do, it's prone to get stuck and can be a bitch to remove. It says this in the folder, but some folks are in too much hurry, 'ya know? That's the only downfall I can think about with the Saker --being a dumbass and trying to attach it to the mount on the way home. I got it fixed quick and easy enough, but still.

I don't know how long ratchet type cans take to wear down to the point of needing repair. I know AAC stuff would have worn down much quicker had I not made a point of it to depress the latch during on/off procedure, but with Saker and QDC you can't do this. The ratcheting portion of the mount is built into the can. But the way Saker and QDC are designed, there shouldn't be a problem with repair or replace. I can say for a fact both lock on TIGHT, none of this wiggle bullshit. They go on by making a fist around one and turning until it stops (Saker you may feel it cam over when it locks). Removal is the same, no latch, no bullshit, just grab it and turn. With Saker you can turn the whole can, with KAC you turn the locking collar at the end. Saker ratchets and locks behind the shoulder on the back of the mount; doesn't look like much but the front part of the mount also fits in there tight and the cam in the rear ratchets over the shoulder of the mount, ratcheting it down like a vice. Solid. The KAC ratchets down in a similar fashion, but it's cool feature is the indexing pin that allows the can to be mounted TDC each time. It always goes on the same way. When it ratchets down, the collar is simply rotating down a concealed threading on the outside of the can which applies pressure to the hard, darkly gray shiny bearings held in place in the mount which seat into the dimples on the back of the mount and the face and body of the mount also fit tightly in the can. Prior to the blast baffle on the QDC, it has a ring with 50 or more holes drilled in a circle that mount fits into. My guess is this is where the gas from the MAMS brake or flash hider feed into the can to reduce back pressure (ingenious).

I can make this easy for you. Go buy a Saker and however many mounts you figure you'll need. Brakes are nice and flash hiders have no drawbacks. If you get the 7.62 can, you can use that on 7.62 obviously but I think you have to be sure to buy the proper mounts for 5.56 and the end cap if you go that route. That'd be a really nice 2 in 1 rifle can too, especially with all the different end caps and mounting solutions. Sake will even mount on the shitty AAC mounts if you buy the mod for it!

So yeah, just get the Saker. I'm out! Good luck!

I say look at the Dead air cans. They have a great mounting system called the KeyMo. I will probably swapping my SiCo mounting to it eventually.

The ASR works but I believe the KeyMo is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIG mounts are hard to beat. That said I really like the Area 419 QD mount.

Don' forget that some cans are designed to be held onto their mount with a locking latch. This may not be ideal, if the base of your can is inside the forearm.

if the entire can is exposed, the Saker ASR mount works great.

Last edited: