• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounting help needed with S & B and Spuhr

blackraven1079

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2011
United Kingdom
This is my first dial scope with a Spuhr mount and I'm having issues with the setup, hoping someone on here with loads of experience can walk me through the steps?

Scope is a S & B 5-25x56 pm 2 double turn, 260cm elevation. Mount is a Spuhr 4601 with 6 mils built in on pic rail.
Not shooting out past a grand at the moment but just need some advice on setup from start to finish. I believe I need to reset the the turret to 7 mils because of the 6 mils built in is this correct.
Any thoughts please?
Regards
Carl

Re: Mounting help needed with S & B and Spuhr

If you run out of down adjustment before you get zeroed, with the elevation at zero, loosen the setscrews on the elevation knob, turn the knob to 10 mils (the knob will be decoupled from the erector adjustment shaft) then tighten the setscrews. You should have enough down travel to zero now. Once zeroed, loosen the setscrews again and set the knob to zero.

With a 6 mil canted mount, if you zero at 100 yards, you will give up about 7 mils of useable elevation travel (below zero) and you will probably be limited to 22 mils or so of elevation on top... which is much more than you need to get out to 1000 yards.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marksman79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my first dial scope with a Spuhr mount and I'm having issues with the setup, hoping someone on here with loads of experience can walk me through the steps?

Scope is a S & B 5-25x56 pm 2 double turn, 260cm elevation. Mount is a Spuhr 4601 with 6 mils built in on pic rail.
Not shooting out past a grand at the moment but just need some advice on setup from start to finish. I believe I need to reset the the turret to 7 mils because of the 6 mils built in is this correct.
Any thoughts please?
Regards
Carl </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scudzuki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Mount it
2. Zero it at the desired range.

With a 6 mil canted mount, if you zero at 100 yards, you will give up about 7 mils of useable elevation travel (below zero) and you will probably be limited to 22 mils or so of elevation on top... which is much more than you need to get out to 1000 yards.

Joe </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Carl</span></span>:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">scudzuki</span></span> is correct - by using the SPUHR 4601 instead of a SPUHR 4801 you have effectively given up about 7 MILs' of Elevation travel. And also as <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">scudzuki</span></span> said, you'll have a lot more travel than necessary to get you to 1,000 yards. However, if you want to get to 2,000 yards you'll need the other 7 MILs' of elevation travel that a 45 MOA base would get you (even with a flatter cartridge like a .338 LM).

Personally, I would sell or return the SPUHR 4601 and get a SPUHR 4801. The reticles of PMII scopes are adjusted out of center at the S & B factory by 1/2 of their specified Elevation travel, and in order to compensate for this Elevation bias a base cant equal to the reticle offset is required <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">if one expects to be able to dial the full 26 MILs' of advertised Elevation travel.</span></span> In a MIL-based PMII 5-25X[56] with 26 MILs' of advertised travel a 45 MOA base is recommended, so the SPUHR 4801 (advertised as 44.4 MOA of cant) would have been the appropriate SPUHR mount for you to get full travel out of your scope.

Keith

thanx Aries, now that is an explanation even i can understand, well done sir.