• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounting rings on rail

Woolsocks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
Looking for comments on this guy’s advice to push the rings towards the front of the notch (check out 3:30 and watch for 30 sec). This doesn’t make sense to me.

I assume rings depend on the clamping force of the wedge-shaped bits to pull the rings tight to the rail. The rail could just as well be a flat surface with no notches. The friction between the two clamped-together surfaces does the work, not the male/female connection of the notch and groove. Otherwise we’d all bed that connection in JB weld to eliminate play.

Does anybody on here push their rings forward?

Reactions: Alcanino
Looking for comments on this guy’s advice to push the rings towards the front of the notch (check out 3:30 and watch for 30 sec). This doesn’t make sense to me.

I assume rings depend on the clamping force of the wedge-shaped bits to pull the rings tight to the rail. The rail could just as well be a flat surface with no notches. The friction between the two clamped-together surfaces does the work, not the male/female connection of the notch and groove. Otherwise we’d all bed that connection in JB weld to eliminate play.

Most modern rings would function without the recoil lug. I belief the only reason Ted puts a lug on ARC rings/mounts is because the industry expects him too.

However, yes, you should push the rings forward if you have a lug. When you fire the rifle, the optic/mount/rings want to remain stationary while the rifle wants to move to the rear due to recoil. Pushing the lug forward ensures the optic doesn't slip during recoil.....since the slip would be "forward" since the scope wants to remain stationary. The lug pressed against the rail prevents that "forward" slipping (the slip is actually the rings staying still and the rifle/rail moving backwards.

Don't confuse this with bedding a recoil lug on an action. The point of the recoil lug on an action is to transfer recoil energy into the stock. Essentially it protects the actions screws from acting as defecto recoil lugs and eventually sheering.

The recoil lug on rings/mounts is to prevent slipping.

Two different purposes.

That's correct, by pushing then locking the rings to the rail, will prevent the scope & rings from sliding forward from the recoil when the rifle is fired. And that will prevent or definitely illuminate if not minimize any the scope from being zeroed.

Reactions: shoobe01
...However, yes, you should push the rings forward if you have a lug...
This. There are cross-slots that work as locators and recoil lugs So Use Them.

Aside from the last ditch safety against slipping for any cause, it also gives you that much more precision to locate the system if you take it apart. Which happens for any number of reasons. Good procedure like this has had me pull guns entirely apart (I mean... barrel stays on the action) and were 1 click right to re-zero once it's all back together.

Takes no extra time, so give yourself every advantage, yes.

I pull scopes for cleaning fairly often.

Even the cheaper $50 rings never need more than 1 click by dropping them on the rail, pushing forward, and tightening. Most times they need nothing at all and the zero doesn't move a bit.

Just insures you're getting them back in exactly the same place. And it's sure as hell not moving under recoil.

Reactions: shoobe01
Push the rear ring against the rear of the aft lug and tighten it, and the front ring forward against the front of the front lug and tighten it... This way there is no movement forward or backward regardless of recoil impulse type. Rock-solid. Never had a problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Krazy_jim