• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounting rings: Screw/hex nut always on left?

kelvrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Since i spend so much time here, I noticed that everyone mounts their rings so that the screws (seekins) or hex nuts (everyone else) are on the right side of the rifle. So, thats how I mounted mine and figured, those hide guys know more than I.

Anyway, I was at a friend's house yesterday and noticed he had his seekins rings mounted so that the screws are on the right side of the rifle. It is a right handed FN SPR and he is left handed. I mentioned this to him and he asked if it mattered. We couldn't come up with why it would matter since the rings should be the same each way and it is the base that would add elevation.

So, can you hide guys clue me in on whether he should flip them around and why?

Re: Mounting rings: Screw/hex nut always on left?

Nuts on the left for a right handed rifle, allows easier access for loading/ejecting/clearing jams/etc without the nuts in the way.

A bigger deal on Badgers with the 1/2" nuts vs. the Seekins with small screws.

Also be aware of the recoil shoulder, some rings only have a milled flat spot facing one direction. Burris XTR rings are a good example of this.

glock24: I've noticed that on the burris xtr's.

Thanks for the replies, guys.