• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounting scope on Remington 700

TonyAngel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Metairie, Louisiana
I have an issue that's been driving me crazy and maybe for nothing. I have an SPS Tactical on which the mount holes are drilled way off center. When I mounted the scope up using regular rings, I had to correct the windage by something around 30 minutes to get the scope on target. I HEARD that using a scope's adjustments to such extremes isn't a good thing, so I got some Burris Signature Zee rings to correct for the misaligned holes. The setup works, but I sure would like to be able to use a set of more robust rings, like Badgers or something.

Will using the scope's internal adjustments to correct for the misaligned holes have any sort of negative impact on the performance of the scope? I'm using a Nightforce 5.5-22X50.

Re: Mounting scope on Remington 700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will using the scope's internal adjustments to correct for the misaligned holes have any sort of negative impact on the performance of the scope?</div></div>

There are at least two potential problems. One is that having a windage offset to establish a short-range zero may limit the scope's travel at the high end, because the windage is not centered.

The other one is that except at your zero range, you will have a windage offset. To visualize why, imagine the scope is 5 feet to the left of the rifle. When you zero the rifle, your windage will be correct at the zero range. But because the scope was pointed to the right of the direction the bullet is going to the target, the further you go beyond the zero range, the more left windage error you're going to get from that offset.

Now, if the problem is that the holes are not aligned with the bore, but the center of the scope is over the bore, you may be all right, and the Burris rings will fix the problem. But that's pretty sloppy work.

Lindy, the problem that you described is what I was fearing, but hoping not to be. The holes on my action are in line with each other, but not the bore. I'm just holding off until I get a barrel replacement to give my rifle to my smith to have him redrill the holes. What I really feared was that the holes were drilled across the curvature of the action putting undue stress on my scope that's probably worth 3Xs what the rifle is. I'm just going to stick with the Zee Rings for the time being.

Thanks.

The curvature problem could be solved by bedding the base. Having a good gunsmith take a look at it is certainly worthwhile. A lot of times that problem can be solved by opening the holes up to the next screw size, but that will have to be done to the base, too.

Why not send the rifle back to remington? I had the same problem with a SPS Varmint and they replaced it without any hassle.

redneck, that is why I haven't sent it back to Remington. I won't know what I'll get back. Aside from the problems I've had, the rifle is a tack driver and I do mean that literally. .2 -.3" groups at 100 yards with a broad range of loads is the norm. I'm not sending this rifle back.

I'm just gonna wait until I give the rifle to a smith and let him redrill the holes straight with the next larger size screws. From what I've seen, there are a good number of good bases that accommodate the larger screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm just gonna wait until I give the rifle to a smith and let him redrill the holes straight with the next larger size screws. From what I've seen, there are a good number of good bases that accommodate the larger screws. </div></div>

I'd cut to the chase and do that....even if the holes were in line with the bore.

BT/DT.......

Have your base on hand when he D&T's the action, if the holes aren't big enough he can open them up too at the same time.......

This is kind of an old thread, but I'll update.

I have since had that action rebarreled with a a Krieger. When I took the action to my gunsmith, I asked him to check out the mounting holes, because I thought that they were off.

When I got the barreled action back with the Krieger installed, my smith told me that the holes are fine. The barrel was installed crooked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is kind of an old thread, but I'll update.

I have since had that action rebarreled with a a Krieger. When I took the action to my gunsmith, I asked him to check out the mounting holes, because I thought that they were off.

When I got the barreled action back with the Krieger installed, my smith told me that the holes are fine. The barrel was installed crooked. </div></div>

how was your grouping with the crooked stock barrel?