• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounting SureFire SOCOM556-RC2 to a DD MK18 10.3" Pistol

rossini

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2022
Maricopa County
Hi, I'm new here and relatively new to the AR-15 platform. As all of us AR Pistol folks will have to soon be "forced" to get a tax stamp for our pistols (this coming August), I see no reason not to swap out the SBA3 with a proper stock and while I'm at it, get in line to get my tax stamp for a suppressor.

I have the factory-built complete Daniel Defense 10.3" MK18 and I have been eyeing the Surefire SOCOM556-RC2 suppressor to be able to easily mount. My question is, given the current build, what exactly will I need to easily mount this (https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/suppressors/socom556-rc2-suppressor/) to the pistol?

I am FAR from savvy when it comes to even the most rudimentary gunsmithing (I am slowly learning) so any layman's advice would be much appreciated. And thanks in advance for any and all helpful responses.

You will need a surefire muzzle device. flash hider or a brake.

https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/muzzle-devices/socom-3-prong-flash-hider/

Good read

Last edited:
Thank you both for your comments. So it looks like the Surefire 3 prong flash hider is the way to go. I've been reading that adding the suppressor will worsen the recoil and cause more gas blowback. Any simple recommendations to mitigate that? Based on the current NFA tax stamp wait time for a suppressor it sounds like it will be a while anyways.

Also, on a side note related to NFA approval, I assume if I am going to apply for a suppressor tax stamp that I would need to first apply for the SBR tax stamp as it's currently considered a pistol with the SBA3 brace. The two stamps can't be applied for in tandem, can they?

A suppressor will increase gas coming back in your face and can cause some other issues. An adjustable gas block/adjustable BCG, "gas busting" charging handle or RTV sealant, and heavier buffers/springs are most common when going with a suppressor. You can try and plan in advance, but really it requires some trial and error.

You can file for the stamps at the same time you don't need to wait for one or the other before you apply for the next. With E-file form 1 (making an SBR) are coming back in a month or so. Suppressors were often in the 10+ month wait, but with the recent (Dec 21') ability to E-File a form 4 some of those are coming back in a few months.

Reactions: rossini
on a side note related to NFA approval, I assume if I am going to apply for a suppressor tax stamp that I would need to first apply for the SBR tax stamp as it's currently considered a pistol with the SBA3 brace. The two stamps can't be applied for in tandem, can they?
The SBR will be using a eForm1; the suppressor Form4.......one doesn't know the other is in queue for approval. Establish a BATFE online account, complete your eForm1 application for the SBR, have 2 sets of fingerprints at the ready to submit within 10 days of BATFE notifying you to send the prints to them when the send you the email explaining the process / address.

Thank you both for your comments. So it looks like the Surefire 3 prong flash hider is the way to go. I've been reading that adding the suppressor will worsen the recoil and cause more gas blowback. Any simple recommendations to mitigate that? Based on the current NFA tax stamp wait time for a suppressor it sounds like it will be a while anyways.

Also, on a side note related to NFA approval, I assume if I am going to apply for a suppressor tax stamp that I would need to first apply for the SBR tax stamp as it's currently considered a pistol with the SBA3 brace. The two stamps can't be applied for in tandem, can they?
I’ve always read that brakes act as a sacrificial blast baffle and sbr’s are obviously harder on cans with the increased pressure, blast and possibly the sandblast effect from bits of unburned powder. After looking at the erosion at the first brake port on my 10.5” from a few thousand rounds I believe it.

If your DD was built in the last few years, it should have a proper sized gas port. The SureFire is an excellent choice for several reasons, particularly the fact that it is a low back pressure can.
I run one with a Colt 10.3” barrel. An adjustable gas block is unnecessary with this combination.
I would recommend a H2 or H3 buffer.
If you are going to shoot it suppressed full time (I don’t know why you wouldn’t) I would go with the brake over the 3 prong.
It may reduce wear on the first baffle in your suppressor.
If you are going to shoot it unsuppressed on occasion, use the 3 prong. The muzzle blast from the brake on the 10.3 is unbelievable.
On my 14.5” and 16” guns I use the 3 or 4 prong flash hider.

You will definitely want to go with the flash hider option, if you run a brake on that gun, everyone at the range will hate you. SBR's are loud AF with a brake. Once you get the flash hider make sure to take it to a qualified gunsmith to do the install the right way, where they will time it and use Rocksett or equivalent thread lock compound. As stated above it would be a good idea to look into the gas busting type charging handles like the Geissele Super Charging Handle or the Radian Supressed charging handle.

I've shot numerous ARs suppressed, various barrel lengths from 10.5 to 18", all with normal charging handles, and never a problem encountered with blowback in my face. They were mainly with either Surefire, SilencerTech, or TBAC Ultra series cans.

If you’re going to shoot it mostly unsuppressed then the war comp is probably fine but if mostly suppressed I’d avoid it and go with the standard brake or 3 prong. The war comps don’t seal as well and I believe it shows pretty drastically in the testing on pew science

Reactions: clsx and FatBoy
i have a mk18 also but using a rugged radiant. Didn’t change anything but the buffer to an H3 and it runs great. Using rugged brake.

99CEF969-38DC-4F9D-9CBE-62DA14D9A762.jpeg

118CAC82-1F3D-47FF-AC86-D5A779422FF9.jpeg

As all of us AR Pistol folks will have to soon be "forced" to get a tax stamp for our pistols (this coming August),

Don't count your chickens... There were at least ten million braced firearms sold all with the explicit written blessings from the ATF.

For them to do an ex post facto reversal WITHOUT actual legislation will be really difficult.

Don't get me wrong, they will try to do it, but for me I would make them force it before I did anything.

That said if you want to be in the NFA game then by all means do it. There are plenty of reasons to do so. This kind of after the fact politics though should not force you to change if you don't want to. In fact the less people that do the better as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Don't count your chickens... There were at least ten million braced firearms sold all with the explicit written blessings from the ATF.

For them to do an ex post facto reversal WITHOUT actual legislation will be really difficult.

Don't get me wrong, they will try to do it, but for me I would make them force it before I did anything.

That said if you want to be in the NFA game then by all means do it. There are plenty of reasons to do so. This kind of after the fact politics though should not force you to change if you don't want to. In fact the less people that do the better as far as I am concerned.

Well, either way, given I'm going down the suppressor avenue, I have no choice but to register it as an SBR.

Well, either way, given I'm going down the suppressor avenue, I have no choice but to register it as an SBR.
No. You can have a suppressor on a pistol. That's perfectly legal.

You don't have an option for the suppressor.

You definitely have options for the SBR (or not).

Hi, I'm new here and relatively new to the AR-15 platform. As all of us AR Pistol folks will have to soon be "forced" to get a tax stamp for our pistols (this coming August), I see no reason not to swap out the SBA3 with a proper stock and while I'm at it, get in line to get my tax stamp for a suppressor.

I have the factory-built complete Daniel Defense 10.3" MK18 and I have been eyeing the Surefire SOCOM556-RC2 suppressor to be able to easily mount. My question is, given the current build, what exactly will I need to easily mount this (https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/suppressors/socom556-rc2-suppressor/) to the pistol?

I am FAR from savvy when it comes to even the most rudimentary gunsmithing (I am slowly learning) so any layman's advice would be much appreciated. And thanks in advance for any and all helpful responses.

Do not buy a warcomp. The mount leaks horribly causing increased sound to your ear.

As far as "recoil" or increased blow back you can use a Surefire obc if you can find one. If not a standard bcg with an H3 buffer. I like the vltor A5 system.

Reactions: clsx
No. You can have a suppressor on a pistol. That's perfectly legal.

You don't have an option for the suppressor.

You definitely have options for the SBR (or not).
Thank you for clarifying that! That's a rabbit hole I was going to go down unnecessarily!
Do not buy a warcomp. The mount leaks horribly causing increased sound to your ear.

As far as "recoil" or increased blow back you can use a Surefire obc if you can find one. If not a standard bcg with an H3 buffer. I like the vltor A5 system.
Yes, I am leaning towards this and calling it a day https://tombstonetactical.com/product/socom-muzzle-brake-5-56mm-1-2x28-m4#product_detail

For full time suppressed, especially on a sbr the brake is the BEST option
What is the benefit of the Surefire muzzle brake vs. the three-prong flash hider? The pew science article compared the warcomp to the 3-prong flash hider and as someone else stated, the 3 prong was significantly better in the testing. So where does the muzzle brake fit in? Thanks

What is the benefit of the Surefire muzzle brake vs. the three-prong flash hider? The pew science article compared the warcomp to the 3-prong flash hider and as someone else stated, the 3 prong was significantly better in the testing. So where does the muzzle brake fit in? Thanks

It hasn't been tested but the problem with the warcomp is it doesn't have Labyrinth seals. The muzzle brake does have them and it's probably ok even with ports right next to them but we know for sure the flash hider is gtg.

Lhnkvie.jpg

Having said that flash hiders are often very abusive to blast baffles. The question you need to ask yourself is what is the realistic round count and firing schedule you plan for it. If you plan on shooting it a lot and with aggressive firing schedules it might be a good idea to get the brake.

23732208364_0d4dfd9b3f_h.jpg