• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounting the EGW 20 MOA Base

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
My EGW 20 MOA Base came today for my Savage Mark II FVT and I got it mounted. (I was going to shoot my Lakefield but decided to mow the Range this morning instead. It needed it). When I got home from the Range mowing venture I mounted the base.

I used the furthest back and farthest front channels to mount the scope rings in so as to get the full effect of the 20 MOA. In the morning (Sunday) I'll take the setup out to the Range and see what I can do with it.
smile.gif

Did I mount it right? Seems to me that a person would want to use the highest rear channel and the lowest front channel to mount the scope rings in. There really are no instructions that come with this base, so I figure the high and low ring mounting channels must equal the 20 MOA?

Re: Mounting the EGW 20 MOA Base

Joe, its 20 MOA anywhere you mount it on the rail. The distance between rings makes the scope mounting alot firmer so to speak. Picture grabbing a pool cue with your hands close together(touching) and someone taking that cue away from you. Leverage. Congrats on the rail, should be a nice addition to the .22.

Thanks Bjork. After someone says it (about the mounting as you have) all I can say is what I heard my kids say, "duh"
crazy.gif
lol!!!

Thanks for getting me back on track with my thinking. I don't know what I was thinking? To many hours in the sun mowing today I guess?
smile.gif

Generally the wider the rings the better, as long as your eye relief is where it needs to be. You may have to shift as needed.

Eye relief came out good Shiraz.
smile.gif
There's lots of tube room on these 6-24x42 Tasco Target/Varmint scopes.

I should post a picture and I think I will.
smile.gif

Here we go. I was able to edit it in;
100_0377.jpg

Yo Joe, hey bro....not trying to sound like a smart ass but why mount a 20 moa base on a 22?

Because these guys here said I had to...
laugh.gif
Not really. It is for long range shooting of 200+ yard targets, both paper and metal.

Lot's of folks doing this these days. Go through some of the earlier post before today and there's a lot of information about long range .22LR and subsonic ammo on this site.

Also, as I understand it there are many that use the .22LR to train with as a low cost trainer -vs- their .308's as the ballistics are compatable though at scaled down ranges of course.
smile.gif

bcrich

Nice second post. Just registered. Batting 1000.

There guys on here that shoot 22 to 300 yards and beyond.

If you didn't mount at least 20moa rail you would never get to 300 with any consistancy. 400 yards is even more inconsistant. I wonder how Joe did today?? How did it shoot Joe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bjork</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you didn't mount at least 20moa rail you would never get to 300 with any consistancy. 400 yards is even more inconsistant. I wonder how Joe did today?? How did it shoot Joe? </div></div>

Not that good really...
crazy.gif

The wind came up early in my zeroing in at 50 yards, but it didn't seem to bad at the time. I then decided to zero the cross hairs at 100 yards and wasn't getting good grouping at all, so I moved back to 50 yards and after I don't know how many shots I finally figured out I needed to raise my cheek weld to the stock so I could put a stop to my erratic virtical groups that at times were really running north and south.

I finally settled down a bit and got into a groove and tightened up my groups in semi round formations rather then the verticle spread. That cheek weld change I made helped a lot.

I'm off Wednesday so weather permitting I'll be back out pursuing the 200 yard range if I can get everything to fall into place from 50, 100, 150, then the covetted 200 yards.

I did solve how many clicks I needed to come up from zero to be in the general neighborhood of 50 and 100 yards on the cross hair. So I can lose zero and get back to either pretty quick.

Realizing I needed to use a higher cheek weld with this 20 MOA base was a good find I thought.
smile.gif

Check this out. I thought I'd do some research on my verticle shooting groups possibly being because of my cheek weld to the stock. Here's an article on just that;

I got it from;

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/ScopeMountSelection.asp

The Tapered Base.
Not all is doom and gloom with a tapered base, however, I would be derelict if I did not point out the obvious short-comings upfront. Cheek weld. Anything over a 10 moa taper is going to require you to raise your head up off the stock. Most tapered bases come in 15 to 20 moa tapered with 20 moa being the norm as it appears to be most useful on the surface. I do not agree wholeheartedly with this theory, but can see why some believe it. I have two tapered bases on my current rigs. One, the IOR, is said to be a 20 moa but in actuality I believe it is 15 moa, which makes me VERY happy. The other is definitely 15moa and came from north of the border. Both are represented as 20 moa bases here in the States and in the second one's case, it probably is 20 moa. Guess it all comes down to how you run the math. At any rate, both of these bases are manageable in terms of cheek weld. But both also bring my head up off my ideal cheek weld enough that I could, if I so desired, add a bit of material to the top of my stock to compensate for this. Its borderline right now so I live with it and have not really found much reason to complain. However, I recall years ago playing with a true 20 moa base (no longer in production) that was so high that without an adjustable cheek rest you were not using the stock to support your head at all and "cheek rest" was an oxymoron. You either had to affix something to the stock as a field modified cheek rest or buy a stock with a fully adjustable rest like one of the HS Precision Tactical models. The second downside to a tapered base is the one mentioned above. It really can bend your action. I am familiar with several very high quality tapered bases (I sell the IOR and the Badger units on the PX for instance) and none of them are going to flex when you mount them to your rifle. They are very rigid and that is a selling point as well as a curse. RAM tuff you could say. Hardcore. Rock solid. Yep. All of the above. But if your rifle's receiver is drilled by a drunken sailor -- like some of the factory rifles I have seen in recent years -- you may have a problem. Now this does not mean you WILL have this problem. Check the rifle out BEFORE ordering your base. If the action is fairly true, and the scope base mounting holes are drilled along the axis of the bore and not off center, AND inline with one another, you are going to be fine. But you MUST check it first before mounting one of these kick-ass systems on your rig. You could use any one of these bases as a fighting instrument all on its own. They are that tuff. As a blunt instrument, you can do serious bodily harm to an opponent with one. So just remember that you must verify that your rifle is not ate-up right from the factory before mounting one of these things up, because the mount ain't gonna give. The rifle will.

I have a similar questions kinda. Just mounted my EGW HD mount on my Ram 700 AAC, but with no directions, didnt know if I was supposed to tourque the screws or just make them tight by feel?

Any ideas?

its 12-15 inch pounds for the screws in the rings and 60ish for the ring to base screws. snug it all down consistantly is the main thing. i keep thinking 12-15 for the base also

oh, but honestly i dont have a torque wrench like that so i do all mine by feel.

Thanks guys. I am going to guess I am going to need something that can torque in In-Pounds now I guess. I honestly have never seen one. Where does one get such a wrench? Local sears sell them?

I assume when I put my new stock on, i will also have to torque that in inch pounds as well?

I'm sure Sears sells in/lb tourque wrenches. I have a torque driver from Snap-On tools that works very well. Look in Midway or Brownells or one of the other places to see what they offer.

hey there is a sweet little torque tool in the group buy area, the Borka tools torque wrench. pretty sweet setup. LL does a video review on how it works in the equipment section i think