• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounts for Vortex Gen III

Desert Ranger Tycho

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
Need some help, Ladies and Gents,

I got my Gen III in the mail today and tried to install it in the Mark 6 IMS mount I had. Surprise! The ball of the turret does not clear the riser separating the rings!

So now I need to get a new mount for this beast. It will be going onto my Scar 17S. Thanks in advance.

I’d guess because the SCAR has a continuous top rail you don’t need cantilever and it’s believed that the cantilever can be or is responsible for aggravating the harmonic vibrations, unique to the SCAR, that damage optics.
That makes complete sense. Mahalo!

Take it for what it is worth, but I was watching a Grand Thumb review of this optic and he was using the badger condition 1 mount, though on an AR15...

I've been digging the SCALAR. First time owning one, I dont take the glass off hardly at all, but I did enjoy the easy of mounting:

20200508_140307.jpg

Reactions: vigildom7
Take it for what it is worth, but I was watching a Grand Thumb review of this optic and he was using the badger condition 1 mount, though on an AR15...

I just watched that too! LOL. If you've ever watched a Garand Thumb Scope review just to see what mount he is running.

Usually you don’t want declination if you want red dot like performance. You want your eye that’s interesting he tube and your eye that’s outside the tube to be looking at the same angle.
But would that really matter when zeroing to 50m? Some others seem to think not but I am just trying to understand the pros and cons.

A canted mount won't matter even at 1x.
Thank you. I understand Ryan's point about the toilet paper tube analogy but the downward tilt is so slight I cannot see it mattering a noticable difference. At this point, I am going to roll with the Larue mount I bought and see if their is a noticable tube effect. :).

Thank you. I understand Ryan's point about the toilet paper tube analogy but the downward tilt is so slight I cannot see it mattering a noticable difference. At this point, I am going to roll with the Larue mount I bought and see if their is a noticable tube effect. :).
You got it. 20 moa is .333 degrees. Your eye can't discern that. And remember that once you shoulder the rifle the line of sight is a straight line from eye through scope to target. The angle of the mount is transferred to the scope's erector when you zero your rifle. Because trigonometry.

Not every bit of advice you read here is good.