• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounts, MoA, CM and MIL

Finn55

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Hello SnipersHide,

I have a three parter for your collective knowledge.

Anyone know of a good 3 ring picatinny mounted, quick detachable scope base for a 34mm tube?
In addition, could you please suggest a good company to purchase picatinny add-ons (Fore grips, flashlight mounts) from?
Also, in choosing your flavour of scope, given a mil-dot reticle, does it matter whether you go CM, MoA or MIL with elevation/windage?

I have experience in cm, but the range I shoot is maximum 300m with a fine crosshair, this rifle I am getting will be my foray into long range shooting.

I appreciate your time,

Cheers,

Finn

Re: Mounts, MoA, CM and MIL

Well, not quite.

A milliradian is a measurement of angle.

A centimeter is a measurement of length.

It happens that 0.1 milliradian subtends an arc at 100 meters whose length is 1 centimeter - but that's only because 0.1 milliradian is an angle which subtends an arc which is 1/10,000 of the distance from the vertex.

That's why, for example, that 0.1 mil is 3.6 inches at 1000 yards.

Scopes commonly adjust in angles which are integers or fractions of angles which are designated in the following units:

1. Minute of angle, which is 1/60th of one degree. At 100 yards, that works out to 1.047 inches.
2. Milliradians, of which there are approximately 6283 in a circle. At 100 yards, 1 milliradian works out to 3.6 inches.
3. Inches per hundred yards (IPHY), which some people call "Shooter's Minute of Angle", is a derived unit of measure. One IPHY at 100 yards amounts to 1 inch.

Its bad repeat the CM thing because it confuses people who dont have a tangible understanding of the concept.

Then you get people believing that instead of the full capacity of 1 MIL=

1mm @ 1000mm
1cm @ 1000cm
1m @1000m
1" @ 1000"
1' @ 1000'
1 yard @ 1000 yards
et cetera
et cetera
et cetera

Finn,
If you are trained and comfortable with MOA, get MOA turrets with an MOA reticle

If you are trained and comfortable with a MIL ranging system, or want to learn that instead, get MIL turrets with MIL reticle.