• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounts: QD or Regular for return to zero?

Sogan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2013
This is for my hog hunting gun. I’ve recently changed out both my day optic (now a Vortex 1-6) and my thermal. I need new mounts for both. I switch these out either in the field or in the car between spots once the sun sets. I used QD before but what’s better for returning to zero? I don’t mind carrying around fix-it-sticks if I go non-QD.

This is for my hog hunting gun. I’ve recently changed out both my day optic (now a Vortex 1-6) and my thermal. I need new mounts for both. I switch these out either in the field or in the car between spots once the sun sets. I used QD before but what’s better for returning to zero? I don’t mind carrying around fix-it-sticks if I go non-QD.
I've had good luck with my Bobro mounts and they are qd. I always go for the dual lever ones and have not checked the single lever ones. That said, it works to a point. There isn't a mount that will keep exact zero out to real distance like 600-1000yds. If you are talking 100yds-300 yds, it's possible to do it the way you want and stay on target.

I run several of these:

AD-RECON-S SCOPE MOUNT (1312)​

I have found they are good at return to zero when moving optics around. I also like I can just but a new set of rings when I get an optic with a scope diameter I don't already own and keep the same base unit.

YMMV

HTH

Reactions: GhostFace
ADM mounts is what I had originally. If I go QD again, then I’m probably going to try Bobro. I’m just not sure if QD or a regular mount will give me better repeatability on RTZ

Both work well. It's more a brand issue than a mount type.

Using a single piece mount, both my Warne and my ADM Recon QD return to zero pretty well. I had a LaRue QD that I didn't care for.

I use Bobro Single lever to switch scopes between guns. I document the clicks for each scope/gun and the zero is spot on. I would use the dual level Bobro mounts but I want to keep total weight to a minimum.

After using LaRue, Eratac, ARC, and Bobro QD mounts, I now only use the Bobro on my AR but a standard mount/rings and a torque wrench on everything else. If you are going onto the same rail with the same pattern, rings can work fine. If you are switching between firearms, I would recommend a mount as extra insurance.

Try not to think of it as "return to zero" but as "return to hog" in your situation, if your scope/mount is within .2-.3 mil of zero will it make a difference at the ranges you're shooting hogs? Most QD mounts will RTZ better than this, but the Dark Lord is correct, if you want the best RTZ then nothing beats a good torque wrench for consistency. For me personally, the convenience of QD outweighs the negatives, if I'm going to shoot comps then I'm verifying zero regardless, if I'm going on a big hunt then I'm verifying zero, in fact, I verify zero a lot - maybe I'm a little obsessive compulsive???

I have swapped between a thermal and day scope a few times over the years with both the single and double latch Bobro. The RTZ has generally been within an inch at a 100 yards when I verified….as pointed out above…..well within MOP (minute of pig).

I'm not a fan of QD mounts in most cases. In my experience, it's quite common for the QD mounts to be either too tight, or too loose. I prefer the simplicity of a regular one piece mount and fix it sticks. I have much more piece of mind with that setup, which is what really matters.

I'm not a fan of QD mounts in most cases. In my experience, it's quite common for the QD mounts to be either too tight, or too loose. I prefer the simplicity of a regular one piece mount and fix it sticks. I have much more piece of mind with that setup, which is what really matters.
All I know of now are adjustable for rail tension. Most come with neat wrenches even.

QD mounts are RTZ only on the gun, and position on the rail, where they left. But are very good IME. I don't usually bother with QD on precision rifles as they add a tiny bit of weight and snag, there's nothing to use when the scope is removed, but the accuracy is there IME. Favorite is my PEQ2 lives off the gun, I put on as needed with an LT mount and can hit a 6" plate at 300 yds whenever I want, years and dozens of installs later.

Regular high quality mounts and a torque wrench. Some QD mounts to return to zero well, but they are susceptible to wondering zero if bumped.

ILya

This. QD mounts suck one way or another. A good one piece mount and a torque wrench gives the most repeatable RTZ.