• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Movie Glass Question !

Liberator TJ1984

Sergeant
Minuteman
Watching " Smokin'Aces " last night the Girl Sniper with the .50cal was using what appears to be a US Optics Scope (best I could make out on the DVD cover ) ...anyways it shows a digital yardage readout on the left side of the reticle as she is aquiring targets ...

is there such a Scope ??? if so what kind of Clams are we talking ???

Re: Movie Glass Question !

If I remember right, one of the optics makers makes such an optic, bushnell or burris, maybe ziess, would have to go digging for it, I do not think it adjust for you but will give you yardage

i believe that it is Zeiss, they make one with an internal rangefinder, and some other stuff like the ability to record the scoped view of the shot

Hendsolt has a scope that gives you your elevation reading in the glass.

Do a search. If I recall, it's a USO as the producer of the film is an avid shooter and fan of the SoCal optics gang.

Burris and Zeiss, maybe more make scopes that have a rangefinder inside. I'm not sure of the quality or how good it works. They don't adjust though there is that Barett system.

Most "movie" reticles are BS flashy lights and digital readouts. I have not seen the movie you are talking about so I can't comment on specifics.

Several manufacturers have scopes with built in laser rangefinders. Bushnell is one I know for sure. One of the students at the last school I went to had one.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, 99% of the time in movies when you see a view through a scope or binoculars it's a visual effect composited from a standard plate. And more often than not they just have the artist add all of those unrealistic bells and whistles because it looks cool or they think that's what it's like.

I made the mistake of bringing a bolt gun to work one day trying to show the VFX Supervisor that he was wrong...didn't go over well
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sommers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep its definitely a USO. Just re-watched it last night, good film </div></div>

Good film but like most other action movies its simply one where you deposit your brain before pressing play, always enjoy them though!

If memory serves the USO in the movie was a fake(as in non functional). I believe John sold it here on the hide too for the movie fans.