• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Movies and "suspension of disbeleif"

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
If ever a part comes along in a movie where I respond "Yeah, right" then that movie is done for me.

(I'm referring to movies that are supposed to be telling a story involving real people, and laws of physics that apply on this planet)

The classic example to me is Tom Crusie in MI:2 where he and another guy are flying at each other on motorcycles at 80 mph, jump up 15' in the air, smack into each other at speed, fly thru the air like 100 feet, smash to the ground, roll like 50 feet, and then get up and start punching each other.

"Yeah.....right." DONE.

When it gets that bad, I cannot suspend disbeleif.

YOu?

Re: Movies and "suspension of disbeleif"

Well, I guess that you're not a fan of all those Chinese gungfu movies with people flying through the air.

When I was sitting in the balcony of a theater somewhere in southeast Asia with a six-pack, though, watching Run Run Shaw productions, I thought they were pretty good entertainment.

If one insists on technical accuracy in a book, movie, or other work of art, one is likely to have an unpleasant experience with the depiction of any field one knows more than a passing amount about.

I had tendencies in that direction when I was younger and more of an asshole eager to prove how much I knew.

Now I prefer to sit back and enjoy the show.

I insist on technical accuracy when someone might rely on the information. Otherwise, I'd rather have fun. I <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> laugh at the really silly parts, though.
laugh.gif

Added note: Sir Run Run Shaw is now 102.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had tendencies in that direction when I was younger and more of an asshole eager to prove how much I knew.

</div></div>

This thread has nothing to do with that.

Tho I think you may not be as far away from still doing that as you think you are. I kinda get the "look how good I am" tone from your post.

Sorry if I'm misreading you.

The idea behind the King Fu movies with the fly-by-wire fighting was those movies in the Orient are like our "fantasy" movies in the West...ala..."Lord of the Rings", "Camelot",...etc. So you can suspend disbelief because you know your watching a world that isn't supposed to exist.

However, with modern action movies, where none of the actors are supposed to have special "powers"......watching Tom Cruise do that kind of ridiculous stunt in a movie, also ruins it for me.

The ending of Titanic was a shock to me. Never woulda seen it sinking in real life. Stupid Hollywood.

I swish Kung Fu theater was still on. Watched it all the time as a teen.

As I tell my son it is Hollyweird.

I love the Matrix series. In one scene a handgun that shoots like a machine gun is spitting out .223 brass from a 9mm/45acp mag. I laughed my ass off.

But I have created a monster. Now my son is into the "dad" check it out. I saw a flaw. We laugh. Hey, its a movie. Entertainment.

I agree. Movies are flawed. They reflect life itself in that degree. All works of man are flawed, because man, himself, is flawed. Those among us who are absent flaws are truly entitled to critcize the flaws in others. Something about that first stone. So far, I think but one Gentleman has actually managed that accomplishment, but it was quite a while back; so I doubt we'll see Him posting here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Harvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I swish Kung Fu theater was still on. Watched it all the time as a teen. </div></div>

Growing up in the Piedmont Region of the great State of Georgia, I also grew up on Kung Fu Theater, or Kung Fu Gold Theater on the early TBS.

We had 5 TV channels, the big three, GA PBS and TBS. Never guessed that I would ever want 200 channels of TV and get bored with most of it.

I miss the old days.