• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movin Trucks

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Having learned from my previous move, we are moving DocRDS Junior ourselves. I have the usual suspects for moving trucks

UHaul
Budget
Penske

getting quotes

Any other recommendations for a 10-15' Truck rental I may be missing? Moving from TX on a 1 way trip at about 1k miles.
TIA.

Every time I tried to rent a U-haul, I could walk onto a full lot with cash and they did not have one to rent me. This happened more than once, leading me to think that U-Haul is used for laundering money. So, I would go to the Penske lot and drive away with what I needed, that day.

The last time I moved a child, I used Penske since they had a diesel. previously we had moved a married son with a u-haul pulling a car. Louisiana through Chattanooga to Virginia. Big mistake! If significant weight or any vertical get a diesel…

About two months ago, the wife and I flew to Phoenix, then drove up to northern AZ. Picked up some hydraulic equipment for the shop.
Rented a F650 U-Haul box truck, drove 1300 miles back to southern LA. No issues at all with the truck other than tie downs loops on the floor would be nice. Prettiest scenery I have ever seen on the way back. (y)

Screw Budget. Four years ago was moving from Idaho to Oregon and reserved a Budget truck, the largest they had available, about 4 weeks before needing it. Go to pick it up and was told they didn't have one because Budget was getting out of the truck rental business. They said they would try to find me one but it would take a few days. Explained that was unacceptable and when asked why I wasn't contacted to be told no truck was available, they couldn't give me an answer.

Ended up having to go 60 miles away and rent from Uhaul as the local Uhaul didn't have any large trucks available. Cost was almost 2x over Budget. In addition to the cost, we had a very tight schedule for the move and this almost screwed it up completely because of losing most of a day just to find a rental truck. I made a huge issue of it with Budget and they claimed to be sorry for the inconvenience but that was about it.

When I looked at my credit card statement and saw a charge for 'failure to pick up the rental' I about lost my mind. Called them to tell them they were a bunch of thieves, was working to reverse the charge and would do whatever I could to inform people of what they had done. No show charge was reversed and they ended up refunding me the difference between what I paid for a Uhaul truck and what the cost was to be for their truck. All this only because of me bringing up the issue with them.

Can't speak to other rental companies but Budget is to be avoided if at all possible.

Uhaul is like airlines, the earlier you reserve it (to a degree), the cheaper it is. If you need it today, you will pay through the nose.

Play with pickup and destination as well, larger markets on both or at least either end can make a big difference in pricing, but watch you don’t shorten yourself up on allowable mileage too much.

Reactions: Maggot
I've only ever used U Haul . Probably cause I've never had any problems with them .
Once moving a friend and driving the truck I had an incident . Manager at the storage place waved me into a parking space . Like actually guided me . Surprise , I backed over a motion detector . Manager lost his fuckin shit . Total Autistic Screeching "You'll fuckin pay for this " self emolating melt fuckin down . Had UHaul insurance and called . They said no problem don't sweat it .
Another time my brother was moving and used U Haul . Blew the engine up .
They didn't bat an eye .
Moral of the story , U Haul is problem free . Oh and don't rent shit to me en mah kin . 😜

Rented enough of them over the years that I KNOW not to get a u-haul worn out, no maintenance, POS ever again.

Go with Penske, better trucks and the tires will actually be balanced so you can go over 55mph.

I've only ever used U Haul . Probably cause I've never had any problems with them .
Once moving a friend and driving the truck I had an incident . Manager at the storage place waved me into a parking space . Like actually guided me . Surprise , I backed over a motion detector . Manager lost his fuckin shit . Total Autistic Screeching "You'll fuckin pay for this " self emolating melt fuckin down . Had UHaul insurance and called . They said no problem don't sweat it .
Another time my brother was moving and used U Haul . Blew the engine up .
They didn't bat an eye .
Moral of the story , U Haul is problem free . Oh and don't rent shit to me en mah kin . 😜
Get the insurance. I got pinched into a place I couldnt turn and hit a concrete filled steel post. Bent the bumper pretty bad, U haul never said a word.

Reactions: Alphatreedog