• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving 3500 pound safe?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    My buddy needs help moving a TL30. Pallet jack won’t make the corner in his house. Will 2 or 4” pvc work? Golf balls? ?

I used 3/8 inch stainless bar stock to roll my safe across the shop floor. The Hyster wouldn’t fit through the gun room door. I’d think smaller diameter, thicker walls would work better than bigger stuff. Granted my safe is not as big but should still work. We were only moving a cannon 84 gun widebody.

No. And no. PVC to flexible and will likely crush, golf balls create a point load. Get some pipe. I used 3/4' "galvi" conduit. About 8 to 10 for that weight. Adjust angles under the safe to turn the corners and move the safe in the direction the rollers roll.. Plywood or something similar to protect the floor. Must have if carpet. If you do have carpet furniture slides will work, need the bigger ones.

Elevation changes are the problem.

Always remember, gravity doesn't get tired.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

Wood dowels will work, or if you have a steel yard near you, hot rolled round bar or 1” pipe is cheap af.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
    I wouldn't improvise too much. Something will get fucked up, probably your backs. If you have a sunbelt rental near you sometimes they have something called a Rol-A-Lift. It's essentially a hydraulic dolly that will handle 6,000lbs.

I did the same thing when getting my 3000lb+ safe in....safe mover. Legit safe mover, best money ever spent.

They have this device that's like a dolly on steriods... lifts 10,000lb, is electric, it can pick up, tilt and move a safe with push of buttons with ease. Has a car battery on it. Pretty amazing... I did have to demo out my door, cut my block opening with a concrete cut off saw before they arrived to fit it inside then install a new steel entry door after they left. Haha

Try a rental place and see if they have some hillman rollers. Depends on the floor though. They look like little tanks should come with a pull handle to pull them along and make turns. Small but heavy duty
    ED22D5EA-9C14-4764-A69A-6B0937DB0D4E.png

I’m on a concrete floor so I think I’m good on weight. Could put a piece of steel under safe to protect it from balls or rods

Also found this safe which I may buy too lol

Good thing that thing has a back door as well. Would have to have some stretch armstrong arms to get to the back of it if not

I wouldn't improvise too much. Something will get fucked up, probably your backs. If you have a sunbelt rental near you sometimes they have something called a Rol-A-Lift. It's essentially a hydraulic dolly that will handle 6,000lbs.

Cool, I'll remember that

Reactions: jb0311
    I did the same thing when getting my 3000lb+ safe in....safe mover. Legit safe mover, best money ever spent.

They have this device that's like a dolly on steriods... lifts 10,000lb, is electric, it can pick up, tilt and move a safe with push of buttons with ease. Has a car battery on it. Pretty amazing... I did have to demo out my door, cut my block opening with a concrete cut off saw before they arrived to fit it inside then install a new steel entry door after they left. Haha

My buddy hired one. Piece of cake. No ruined backs.

I bought a dozen of these and easily moved a huge safe. Even built a small ramp to climb a 3 inch threshold. They've had a great second life as jack handle and tool extensions.

I recommend this, definitely. Things like rollers and pipes are innovative, but they are also tricky and can cause accidents if you are not paying attention. At my work we also have electric pallet minijacks with narrow spaced tongs especially designed for maneuvering around small spaces. Do you have a tool rental place nearby where one can be rented?

I agree with hiring someone rather than rigging something up. Costs money, but saves you time, your body, and risk of an accident.

A family of Mexicans.
    Never underestimate their ability to improvise and move lots of stuff lol. I watched a small Mexican dude, all of 100#, load my 600# tractor tire into a moving truck in El Paso. It was hilarious yet impressive. ...I also had a bet going in my head that he’d be likely to fail and get crushed under it while he rolled it up the ramp.

Hillman rollers and toe jacks will be easiest. You will need a pry bar to get it up on the jack still. Cheapest way is using rigid steel or aluminum electrical conduit. It's what we use at work to nove heavy electrical equipment. Has to be rigid conduit though, EMT (electrical metallic tubing) is too thin and will crush. If you take your time, you can use 5 or 6 pieces of conduit, placing them in front and pushing the safe towards them, while placing them on an angle in the direction you want to go. The only problem is that they don't move laterally, so you can get them stuck on walls and do some damage. Thats where the mechanical rollers are king. Gotta pay rental fees, but the ease of movement is worth it sometimes.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Earnhardt
    My buddy needs help moving a TL30. Pallet jack won’t make the corner in his house. Will 2 or 4” pvc work? Golf balls? ?

PVC will work fine as rollers. getting it on the PVC will likely be your issue. Swing the door open and use it on one side as weight leverage to get the backside or a corner up. I’ve done this plenty of times.

Reactions: deersniper
    Just call a safe mover with the proper safe dolly. Done in minutes and no one gets hurt and nothing gets ruined. 3500lbs can do some damage. Probably only cost 200 bucks or less.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
    Just call a safe mover with the proper safe dolly. Done in minutes and no one gets hurt and nothing gets ruined. 3500lbs can do some damage. Probably only cost 200 bucks or less.

When I bought my safe, the vendor, Clark’s Custom Guns, had a motorized, remote control dolly, that moved it into place. They rolled the dolly up to the safe, strapped it up, lifted the safe straight up, and drove it into the house to within a foot of its final spot. We didn’t even cover the carpet. That said, I don’t know what my safe weighs, but I’m quite certain it’s not 3500 pounds.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    In all seriousness, I'd recommend a safe moving company who is bonded/insured. The company I bought my safe from had specialized equipment that made the job somewhat easier. Still a lot of work. 3500 pounds is a lot of dead weight and one could be seriously injured in a nano second.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    In all seriousness, I'd recommend a safe moving company who is bonded/insured. The company I bought my safe from had specialized equipment that made the job somewhat easier. Still a lot of work. 3500 pounds is a lot of dead weight and one could be seriously injured in a nano second.
    Mechanically, the process is feasible. The problem is, if one isn't experienced enough, either damage or injuries OR BOTH can take place. There is a LOT to be said for BONDED Locksmiths and whatnot. They are the ones to approach, because of the fact that their livelihoods depend on their reputation and crew. They will ONLY deal with good people as employees and their whole job relies on that.

Are there exceptions to the rule, sure. But the chances of not having any problems are FAR GREATER using a bonded locksmith than any 'joe-blow moving company with strong backs' type of thing.

Do it right, do it once. Just my 2 centavo's.

Wait where are your trying to go with it? Did I miss that? If you are just rolling it across concrete to a different part of the garage then PvC will work fine. Done it. No problem. However, if you are going up an incline, stairs or anything of the sort, then yeah, hire someone!

Wait where are your trying to go with it? Did I miss that? If you are just rolling it across concrete to a different part of the garage then PvC will work fine. Done it. No problem. However, if you are going up an incline, stairs or anything of the sort, then yeah, hire someone!

Yeah just moving it across concrete. Pallet jack won’t make the one turn is why I am using golf balls or pvc.

i used broom wooden brome handles about 1 inch in diameter.my safe was about 1000 pounds. i would think golf balls would track a floor as too small a contact

Safe?
    My house has corners. They all have at least 2 guns in them.

Then I am safe as I always have a gun close.

Sallys wastin money on safes.

Another vote for galvanized pipe and a cut down piece of 3/4” plywood. Once the safe’s up on the ply, seems to roll better in my experience and makes turns easier.

For a concrete floor, iron pipe of some sort. I used standard 1/2" black pipe when moving my lathe and mill. Watch your toes.

I will say that this is one of those situations where if you have to ask how, it may be better to call in a professional.

For a concrete floor, iron pipe of some sort. I used standard 1/2" black pipe when moving my lathe and mill. Watch your toes.

I will say that this is one of those situations where if you have to ask how, it may be better to call in a professional.

Also for a concrete floor, always sweep the floor before you start and, again, just in front of the rollers path. And it won't hurt to sweep it again when your finished and all is in place.

Get a little help, not to much. A couple of lazy, chubby friends are way preferable to energetic muscle men. Especially if one happens to know how to move a safe.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

Cut into 7 x 500lb pieces. Move into place, weld back together...