• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving Companies --They Do Safes Too?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So the move looks inevitable... The divorce over a year ago and the time saving and repairing credit have led up to this point. I have a good bit saved, got my credit up. I've been saving every month since the divorce actually, but things are still expensive and I always feel like I could have done better...

I'll try and keep this short though, I tend to write on and on.

So I called the safe mover and they want $2600. My mother told me to check out a DAV moving program for disabled vets but it only covers interstate moves and this is in state, so no joy. I do have an appraisal tomorrow from this one place but I don't know if they'll be able to handle the big safe.

I went online and looked around and it turns out some guys had their safes moved by the moving company they used, one guy mentions having his lathe and mill moved. But mine isn't a normal gun safe, it's 6000lbs, 3 tons, so it requires a special gate on a truck to begin with, plus movers capable of moving it safely.

Have any of you used movers that could move oversize or overweight items? Who did it? How much? For an in state move that is, I guess interstate moves are priced entirely different. Just looking for advice here, I'm sure some of you have been down this road already.

Yes.

They used one of those lift gates but the gate flexes. They dropped my 3000 pound safe on its face and then left it there because they didn’t have the equipment to pick it up. Fixing that cost me about 2 grand and the moving company would only pay about 500 bucks.

Without question do it yourself. You can rent all the equipment and it will cost you less than 500 bucks EASY on both ends of the move. It is not hard and it is much more reliable. I have moved one from that exact area before, so if you need some specific info, let me know.

3 tons is nothing to fuck with. My safe is 1850# and it was “interesting” to move with the right safe jacks. It made my 700# safe seem like a toy. A machinery moving company with a drop deck trailer is what you need. You can rent a drop deck trailer for $140 per day where I live, but unless the safe is easy to access in the garage with pipe and pry bars I’d say pay somebody. $2600 sounds insane.

Strykervet, keep looking, and definitely follow up with offers of information given here in this thread. DO NOT take the first one that says 'they can' and definitely compare options.

This is a 'big move' which is separate from the 'big move'.... so ensure all your ducks are in a row.

There ARE options,,,,,

When we moved to the new house, I bought a new safe. The safe dealer agreed to pick up my old safe, deliver and install/bolt down both safes at the new house.

So a local safe dealer might be able to do the move for you.

You can rent something like these for less than a hundred at united rental.

I hired a safe mover to deliver and install my Evolution 55 which is a monster. This guy knew exactly what he was doing and had an awesome machine. It could walk a safe anywhere, on an angle, stay in that position, walk stairs (after he reinforced under stairs with 6x6). And only charged me $300. He said no need to bolt it down,.nobody is getting this thing out of here. Haha

Curious, is this in a basement or going to one? Tricky corners? After reinforcing stairs, my vault door was moved on a crawler for about $450. 6000# changes things entirely. not to be trifled with.

Reactions: Strykervet
    Its worth ponying up. My last regular moving company insisted they could do it for considerably less than the safe specific companies I used in the past. A recent divorce as well and strapped for cash made it pretty appealing. They ended up dropping my safe off the gate on one of the guys. When I talked to the company the next day they said he would probably keep his legs, but having seen them turn to jelly, I found that to maybe be wishful thinking. The other workers left with the ambulance and left me up shits creek. I ended up meeting all my neighbors when they came home from work that night because a big ass safe was in the middle of the street in a pool of blood. I kid you not.

The only upside was a number of new neighbors came over and felt compelled to tell me if their safe was larger or smaller than the one in the street. Met all the gun people right quick.

Yes, they will move safes, however, there is typically an upcharge, especially if there are stairs involved.

I'll tell you right now, go with a reputable moving company that nationally known and not the one who gives you the best deal.

I recently moved and used a company by the name of Dynamic Movers out of Florida, but they had a CO phone number.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!

If at any time during your search, if the name Sam Glazer comes up, RUN!!!

I don't have time to list the number of items that were broken or damaged during the process.

Then they left half the shit in my garage (including the safe that I paid extra for) and said they would finish the next day.

Well, guess what. They never showed back up. I called them and they said they'll pay me $150 to hire a local handyman to finish. Had I accepted, I wouldn't have been able to file a claim.

I estimate total damages to be upwards of $5,000.

Pay the extra and use someone good.

And another thing, read the fine print. I didn't and now I'm pretty much fucked. I am going to talk to a lawyer and see if I can do anything but I'm not betting on it.

I used a "rigging company", the guys that typically work with cranes and place air handlers on top of buildings.

They only had to move it from curbside, through garage, into basement all one level.

Cost me $300.

I got 3 workers, a crane truck which of course they didnt use, aluminum ramps of various sizes, protection board and a jack that fit through typical doors.

Took them about 30 pain free minutes

Best $300 I spent.

My last move I had three safes to go too. Not anything the behemoth you have though. My moving company said they would gladly move them but would require a third man in the crew at the rate of $150/hour. Was a great investment, as they got me all moved and set up at the new home for right at $1200. That included all their driving time. It was the local Two Men and a Truck.

These are what I used along with a rented drop trailer. Fortunately my buddy owns a set of the jacks, so it cost me a case of beer. I used 5/8” MDF board section/pieces to stack on either side of the door threshold and to protect the ceramic tile and fake wood floors from the weight. I placed my safe on a piece of horse mat to protect the bottom of it and the tile. A couple of good prybars were necessary to get the jacks out from under the safe when it was placed. I put a 48” wide safe in a 62” wide space, I was very glad I hadn’t gone with the 60” wide safe as I don’t know how I could’ve maneuvered it into the space.

Your local movers don't have the experience with anything over 1500 lbs. You need professionals. If it is in a garage just arrange for a forklift to show up when the moving truck is there and load it yourself. It will cost you around 200 bucks. Sunbelt rentals in that area is actually decent for getting a forklift. Make sure your forklift will work with the clearance that you have.

Join Craigslist, post the following add:

Disabled Vet Needs rigger to move 6000 lb safe from (town you are in) to (town you are going to)

If your move is not to far you should be able to find some one who will do it for a couple hundred bucks. All it takes is a pickup, a low boy trailer, a set of skates and a loader or a fork lift. Be sure to tell him the house belongs to the ex who dumped you so he don't have to worry if the skate gouge the floor a bit.

Just be ready to be flexible on time because the kind of guy you are looking for is going to have to fit you in between his other work. If you want someone who will accommodate your schedule then pay the $2,600.

Last edited:
    Mine did when I moved last year, IIRC it was a couple hundred dollars extra.

I did tip the four twenty-somethings a bit extra as the stairs to my basement have a switchback landing and getting it down was a major PITA.

It was also a lot less than 6,000lb.

i had a safe moved 40 miles and it weighed 3600 lbs. Cost me 400 bucks. took very little other than a pallet jack, a winch, and a dual axle trailer with the right ramps.

Stairs are different.

I knew a guy who works on old safes, new safes, real safes.... and he recommended this mover to me. Call a local locksmith/safe expert and ask them. or any of the high end safe dealers in your area.

Need to find some riggers/machinery movers. One of the local riggers moved in my buddies 6k turning center for $1000, skated out of pickup location, drove 30 miles, forklift into new building.

Strykervet, you're getting some REALLY good suggestions here... what with professional safe movers AS WELL AS riggers (Millwrights)....

Only other thing I'm going to add to the conversation at the moment is "Bondable and/or Bonded"....

Lastly, call me paranoid, but I'm not much of an advocate for advertising on craigslist about 'hey, who can help me move a HUGE safe into my house'..... call me at 5550-xxx-xxxx or see me at 1234 Nutso St., Bonkersville OR.

$30,000 Insurance is ~$3000 for twenty years. Beats the hell outta moving an enormous safe. Sell the safe, and find a way to lock the guns up from kids. A nice job box would work. Or, just pick up a cheap safe or two from tractor supply.

I've used those to move some pretty big equipment, they really work well.........

I moved a safe 2x I called the local safe company and they gladly came out for a fee and did it correctly.

Reactions: John_in_WYO
    I had to move my safe across country. It is a large jewelers safe that I converted and weighed a bit.

I had to hire a rigger to do it but it went totally smoothly. They picked it up, did the trucking and got it into my new house.

In my case, the cost was part of my move expense so the company paid for it. I know the cost to move was way less than the cost to replace locally.

YMMV

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    $2600 to make your stuff ? thats way too much....i always have a bunch of my buddies to help me out. moved around all my life and never paid that much.

$2600 to make your stuff ? thats way too much....i always have a bunch of my buddies to help me out. moved around all my life and never paid that much.

Once you add in the beer, BBQ, and repairing damages from the "It will go if you push it harder" mentality........Its better to let your friends be friends not movers.

Once you add in the beer, BBQ, and repairing damages from the "It will go if you push it harder" mentality........Its better to let your friends be friends not movers.

I had a friend help me move my safe.

Fortunately I can repair sheetrock - and did so the next day. The landlord was OK with the repair.

Reactions: Nik H and pmclaine

factor in what happens when a buddy gets hurt trying to move around a 6,000 lb safe, and the ensuing insurance and legal fight, its easier to hiring a professional.

Moving some couches and a dresser, friends are fine. 3 tons of steel? you dont need someones mangled ankle and permanent limp on your conscience the rest of your life.

Reactions: Crang and Nik H
    $30,000 Insurance is ~$3000 for twenty years. Beats the hell outta moving an enormous safe. Sell the safe, and find a way to lock the guns up from kids. A nice job box would work. Or, just pick up a cheap safe or two from tractor supply.

what if i individual items or a total items that are worth more than $30k? what about items that would be lost in a fire and irreplaceable, regardless of the payout?

Id sure hate to have to fight the insurance company on value and or replacement because i was storing a Presentation Grade Superposed in a Jobox.

what if i individual items or a total items that are worth more than $30k? what about items that would be lost in a fire and irreplaceable, regardless of the payout?

Id sure hate to have to fight the insurance company on value and or replacement because i was storing a Presentation Grade Superposed in a Jobox.

Call/email Eastern Insurance . I think $60K is just over $200/yr.

Reactions: Changed

You can buy as much insurance as you want. I'm only interjecting because many people have the idea that a gun safe protects their valuables.

Get as much insurance as you want.

Frankly, Charger, I don't place much value on such things. If you do, indeed, own such an item, then I'm sure you're smart enough to protect it.

And, the only irreplaceable things in my life are my family.

Lets see the insurance company find you another M2 .50 cal.

They will probably use the Beto Orourke "Buyback Fair Market Schedule of Values"

Enjoy you $50.

You can buy as much insurance as you want. I'm only interjecting because many people have the idea that a gun safe protects their valuables.

well you are correct, but i think it needs to be stated that most "gun safes" are not actually safes. They are Residential Storage Containers and can be moved around with some golf balls and a couple scrawny dudes. Even the Liberty Fat Boy doesnt weigh more than 900#s. Most RSCs can also be defeated with a portaband or sawazall in about 5 minutes.

I thought we were talking SAFES. real safes. with tool attack ratings, that weigh more than a simple appliance dolly can handle?

Reactions: Changed
    I used to work for American Van Lines after school a Long time ago. I hated moving a piano. You will pay more, however at least your going to move it a ground floor?

Wow, THANKS for all the advice! You guys really did bring it! I've been busy and not able to spend as much time on here but I did come read through it yesterday. If I haven't answered anyone it's just because I'm busy.

So I really like the idea of finding a truck with a suitable lift gate and then those dolly jacks, the ones rated for lifting something like this (more, actually, just to be safe). I think it would be easiest if those wheels can work on a pebbled surface. The other option I guess is a small forklift but I really think those dolleys or skates would work better if they can handle a slightly uneven surface. NOT paying $2600 no matter what.

It couldn't be easier really, it's a flat garage to a flat garage. I have steel plates under each corner right now so the whole move should be fairly easy with the right stuff. IF the movers that come to do the survey cannot move the safe, then I'll consider doing it this way.

I'll have to call around and price a truck with a lift like that and those dolleys, probably wanna get a pair of leverage bars while I'm at it.

Reactions: LeftyJason
    The cost is going to boil down to the weight and it sounds like you've got a lot of it on your hands there. If you still need a rec, I know Three Men & A Truck moves safes and they're relatively cheap in my experience. I'd definitely mention the weight up front so they can tell you if that's something they can handle. From what I know they're pretty experienced at handling oversize/heavy items so they may be worth a call to see about pricing.

Would be interesting to find out what the OP ended up doing and how well it went...

I didn't expect to read so much useful information about moving companies here. I'm in search of a good one, so thanks for sharing your experience. Any updates?
    screen-shot-2022-02-11-at-08-42-11-png.7805693

• Haha
    Reactions: akmike47