• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving ejection from 5 o'clock to 3:30, more gas or less?

Jason3270

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2022
Usa
I'm new to adjustable gas blocks, go easy

After a two week long brutal (and expensive, way too many rounds, probably 80 rounds) battle with the (unbelievably hypersensitive) gas/bcg/CH/buffer on my newly built 6.5cm AR10, I've finally achieved lock back on an empty magazine, as well as chambering the next round.

- I've filed burrs from the charging handle.
- I've removed weight from the buffer.
- I've oiled the buffer spring.
- I've cleaned everything that needed to be cleaned, multiple times.
- Running the bcg on the wet side of things

Nit picky as this might sound, if like to move the ejection pattern forward slightly. Do I need more gas, less gas or something else entirely? I think a half turn in the correct direction would probably do it.

Rule number 1 of SH. If it ain’t broke, fix it until it is.

That said, ejection typically moves clockwise as you reduce gas to the system. So, an overgassed rifle might throw at 1 or 2 o’clock, while an undergassed rifle may throw at 4 or 5.

But, the first question I would ask is “do I have a problem?” If no, stop.

Opening the gas should move your ejection back to 3:30, or 2, or 1, etc…

Rule number 1 of SH. If it ain’t broke, fix it until it is.

That said, ejection typically moves clockwise as you reduce gas to the system. So, an overgassed rifle might throw at 1 or 2 o’clock, while an undergassed rifle may throw at 4 or 5.

But, the first question I would ask is “do I have a problem?” If no, stop.

Opening the gas should move your ejection back to 3:30, or 2, or 1, etc…
As I was writing this post, it occurred to me that the "problem" I believe I have is so miniscule that I'll likely fix it until it's broken.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
To add to what hlee said, the ejection angle CAN be a sign that a rifle needs some form of adjustment, but it's not a hard and fast rule that ejection angle is the thermometer of rifle health. The ideal 3:00 ejection is desirable in a relatively mil spec AR, firing it's original cartridge, with standard reciprocating parts weight, in a forged upper with a normally shaped shell deflector. If you change any one of those things, or in your case pretty much all of them, ejection angle may or may not mean anything.

To add to what hlee said, the ejection angle CAN be a sign that a rifle needs some form of adjustment, but it's not a hard and fast rule that ejection angle is the thermometer of rifle health. The ideal 3:00 ejection is desirable in a relatively mil spec AR, firing it's original cartridge, with standard reciprocating parts weight, in a forged upper with a normally shaped shell deflector. If you change any one of those things, or in your case pretty much all of them, ejection angle may or may not mean anything.
This ^^^

Reactions: TonyTheTiger