• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving on from Defiance Deviant

shax2lex

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Columbia, SC
I have a Defiance Deviant. I love it and it runs like a dream but I’m thinking of moving on from it. I really am thinking about getting a switch barrel action that can take prefit barrels. Something like the Terminus action comes to mind. I think the option of being able to change the barrel and bolt without having to take it all apart is a good option. I mean instead of buying a 223 trainer, just shoot that same rifle. If I wanted to shoot a 6.5 magnum (that fits), change bolt and barrel and go. There has to be a cost savings. Am I crazy?

Reactions: IPoutdoors
Do you not consider the Curtis custom and the Terminus Zeus action on par with the Defiance Deviant? I thought the quality would have been the same but just different action designs.

Do you not consider the Curtis custom and the Terminus Zeus action on par with the Defiance Deviant? I thought the quality would have been the same but just different action designs.

I’ve owned all three, ans currently still own 2 of them (defiance and terminus, have since sold the vector). I can guarantee you that you aren’t giving up nothing with the terminus and if anything I prefer it to the defiance. Set screw quick change barrel, set screws for trigger pins is amazing, 60 degree, crazy smooth, super fast. Awesome actions! The defiance are great.

Now I know the way your thinking makes sense to you financially, but I promise you that you’ll be happier if you just save up and build a second rifle. I had your same mind set and it’s not bad for certain things (trainer and hunting set up for my last one) but a trainer and comp gun are used at the same time of the year meaning every time you switch you have to verify zero. It’s simple but a pain.

The trainer/hunter means I can shoot the trainer side by each with my prs set ups, then switch over to my hunting barrel for coyotes late season.

what does this even mean? have you owned both actions the OP is asking about?
[/QUOTE

i like ford, chevy and dodge, but i like cadillacs more. all will get you there. everyone has an opinion. mine is higher of the defiance. seems so do others.

MY opinion is the deviant is and has been the flagship standard for a long time. nothing wrong with the quality of other actions. I think that they are all fine choices. cant go wrong with any of them. if you set them all on the table and said i get to have one, i will pick the defiance. the deviant is just one of my favorites.

Reactions: Bigrederic and jmw

you realize thats from 2018 right? also i have personally shot a deviant a ruckus and most recently a tenacity...are they nice solid actions? YES! BUT LIKE a cadillac you dont want to get them dirty...personally ill take a ford chevy or dodge because when i take one off road and get it dirty i know its going to run flawlessly.

Every rifle that doesn’t have the barrel welded into the action is a switch barrel.
Buy a .223 bolt from defiance and have a barrel spun up.

Reactions: MYMP5
Every rifle that doesn’t have the barrel welded into the action is a switch barrel.
Buy a .223 bolt from defiance and have a barrel spun up.

This. If it's solely so you can run a "switch barrel" then just get a barrel vise, action wrench, torque wrench (if you don't already have one) and a .223 bolt and get a barrel done up. I have 2 R700 SAs, a Defiance Deviant Elite and a Nucleus and all of them have multiple barrels that I can just swap around. It's not as fast as a "quick change" setup but only takes about 10 minutes. I do it at home, on a bench at the range, hell I've lag-bolted my barrel vise to a large stump and swapped barrels in the field.