• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving on from the Eotech VUDU 5-25

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    Ive been using my Vudu for a couple of years now on my multi-tasking, 16.5" barrel 308. It rides in the truck with me easily as the direct thread can stays on all the time, so its a varmint/hog rifle, deer hunting rifle, general all around "im going to the ranch and may need this gun for a bunch of stuff" rifle. its not pretty, surgeon action coated green, a used Krieger barrel fluted, Mcmillan stock and topped with the Vudu.

My last hunting trip on monday i started to become more aware of what i always knew was a deficiency in the Vudu. Tough eyebox, very sensitive to relief and angle, especially at higher mag. on top of that, the H59 gets very thick and distracting when hunting at under 300 yards. The things ive always liked about the Vudu was the easily adjustable zero set on the turrets, the short length and the weight.

I want to replace this scope with something that is not a tree reticle, is similar in short length and weight, but i believe im going to have to shell out some coin to do it. for reference, vudu is 11.2" long and 29.5 ounces

here is where im leaning in the order that i give them for my uses:

1) March FX 4.5-28x52; 12.5" long, 29.8 ounces, FML-LDK reticle (on sale at Euro $3125)
    2) ZCO 4-20x50; 12.8" long, 34.8 ounces, MPCT-1 reticle (i own one of these, it sits on my AW in 260, currently) (price- $3700)
    3) S&B US 5-20x50; 11.8" long, 32.52 ounces, P4L reticle (price $3600)

Is the March FX the no-brainer in this situation? i can sell my Vudu to recoup some of the cost of the upgrade. i save almost $500 over the S&B and its only 1.3 inches longer than the Vudu and 0.7" longer than the S&B.

what does everyone think?
    Screenshot_20191014-102805.png

Agree the March would be my choice for your stated purposes - WA lens and extra mag if you need it without a weight penalty, plus a bit cheaper than the others.

March is definitely the best option for your purpose but it's a significant step up from your existing set up. The Vortex AMG would be ideal but the reticle options you can find in the px might be an issue for you. The March would be sweet but kind of expensive for a truck gun?

March is definitely the best option for your purpose but it's a significant step up from your existing set up. The Vortex AMG would be ideal but the reticle options you can find in the px might be an issue for you. The March would be sweet but kind of expensive for a truck gun?

truck gun seems crude. its a do-all. just because its put in the truck doesnt mean it has to be cheap or low end. i can use a March just as hard as i can use a vudu when it comes to handling, etc. Isnt that what they are made to do? be rugged and well-built to take a beating? i mean, once you get over the initial shock of scratching up a $3k scope, you realize why even have it if you cant use it?

truck gun seems crude. its a do-all. just because its put in the truck doesnt mean it has to be cheap or low end. i can use a March just as hard as i can use a vudu when it comes to handling, etc. Isnt that what they are made to do? be rugged and well-built to take a beating? i mean, once you get over the initial shock of scratching up a $3k scope, you realize why even have it if you cant use it?
    Yeah, that's absolutely true. That March is awesome. I've had my eye on the 40x one too

Reactions: Charger442
    I wouldn’t bother with the Ultra Short unless you have a necessity for a short scope. They don’t have the optics IQ of the scopes you mentioned. I’m close to pulling the trigger on the zeiss LRP myself, they can be had for 3k. Every review states they have a huge eye box, and the day time illumination appears perfectly executed for hunting.

I wouldn’t bother with the Ultra Short unless you have a necessity for a short scope. They don’t have the optics IQ of the scopes you mentioned. I’m close to pulling the trigger on the zeiss LRP myself, they can be had for 3k. Every review states they have a huge eye box, and the day time illumination appears perfectly executed for hunting.
    They are really nice scopes for sure. Excellent glass and that reticle is perfect imo. You will be happy with it. I considered it rely hard but ran into a trade for a zco or else I'd have gotten the zeiss.

Reactions: A.Redd
    got the scope in hand. looks to be a nice scope and very simple to use. will need to familiarize myself with the zero stop and then go out and get this rifle re-sighted in. looking like ill get to hunt with it this year as i still need to knock down an axis doe.

i like that the turrets arent so high and are closer to the scope body. if i have time tonight, im going to mount it up and get it leveled. ill post pics afterwards.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Chickentoast