• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving - Relocating firearms securely

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    I am contemplating moving in the near future. My past couple moves have been local and I've been able to transport my guns etc. easily in my car. What needs to be considered when moving greater distances taking security, liability and theft into consideration?

Important to note, several cars have been broken into and guns stolen from Active Duty people transferring into San Antonio. That can't be the only place it happens. Carefully packing them and then storing all your collection in the car, and then leaving it parked over night in hotel parking lots or relative's driveways, is a tragedy waiting to happen. Word gets around really quickly. I would still prefer to move them myself. I also disable the Uhaul, and back the door up against a wall. I've even slept in the uhaul while the wife and kids stayed in the room. That was along the border in Texas (Van Horne).

Yeah that’s what worries me. Don’t want any movers seeing or touching my stuff either. Thanks

Obviously a lot wrong with this article but point is, I would definitely move them myself and I would be very careful about how they are secured and monitored. I would not be stopping in a hotel in a busy city.

I just moved to another state and I rented a Uhaul trailer to transport my firearms and other valuable items. I have an Abloy lock that makes it quicker to actually cut through the side of the trailer instead of the lock. I stopped in a small town halfway and parked the rig in front of my room. The trailer worked out great.

I just moved to another state and I rented a Uhaul trailer to transport my firearms and other valuable items. I have an Abloy lock that makes it quicker to actually cut through the side of the trailer instead of the lock. I stopped in a small town halfway and parked the rig in front of my room. The trailer worked out great.
    Locks don't help when they can just steal the entire trailer.

2 guys can have a trailer hooked up and be gone in under a minute

I recently moved a long distance, 700ish miles
    I went the U Haul 26' truck route for many reasons

Hardware was packed close to first (furthest from the door) and the entire tuck was packed by me and my wife
    I drove it straight through with stops here and there, truck never left alone.

of course could not unload the truck at the new house due to late arrival, but took precautions mentioned above
    Disabled truck
    backed the rear door up against the house
    unpacked everything 100% into the house the following day

Other than that. I like the idea of leaving items with a friend that I was worried about and getting them later if that were an option.

When we moved from the great commie state of Ca., to Wisc. in the mid-90's, we used two vehicles. Large moving truck and my 1 ton p/u w/ slide-in camper and a dual-axle flat bed trailer. I had guns hid in both vehicles(safes and between mattresses). Took 2 1/2 days of travel time. I don't think the wife and I, got a total of 8hrs. of sleep in those 2 1/2 days. Rest up well, If you're like me, you'll be on edge. Mac

Last edited:
    Reactions: Maxwell
    I moved my collection across the country in a Pod. I packed them up like I was shipping them. I put my safe in the pod. Filled the safe with well padded and packaged guns. The safe was buried in the pod. A thief would have had to know they were in there and dig all the rest of my stuff out break into my 3000# safe and then put them all back together. I never worried about them for a minute. They were out of my possession (behind my lock and locked in my safe) for about 2 months.

I dont understand all the fear. Ive moved a couple times with firearms and never had a problem. Stayed in literally hundreds of motel rooms (not always with guns) and have never had anything stolen. Just use common sense.

1Get a good secure UHaul Truck
    2-Pack them near the front in a safe of even a large Job Box. weight it with lots of Ammo, very heavy/
    3-Use good locks
    4-Dont tell anyone there are guns.
    5-If you need to stop for the night spend the money to stay a a quality hotel in a good neighborhood and park the truck right out front in a well lit area.

Or the Pod idea sound good.

Reactions: 10ring'r and MJF
    Job Boxes are great, my buddies used three to move his crap coast to coast and still keeps most of it locked in them in his garage.

Depending on the size of the collection, I'd prefer to rent or buy a trailer and haul them myself. Anything in a moving van will be investigated by the scumbags from the moving company, I'd never ship guns, jewelry, coins or bulk silver as housewares, that's just stupid. I'd avoid scummy hotels in scummy parts of town when traveling.

There is no reason for law enforcement to harass you or for you to tell them what you are moving. If it is legal where you are going and legal where you came from and it is locked up, they have no grounds to bother you. Shut up about whatever you haul. Regular homeowners insurance only covers $5K typically, buy firearms insurance from someone reputable, not the NRA. If you are moving from California to Montana or Idaho the best thing to do is stay in California. hahahaha

A guy I worked with moved from California to Texas with his considerable gun collection. He had 3 huge safes full of guns. He hired a moving company. The guy with the fork lift said;

"Do I want to know what are in these safes?"
    "Nope."
    "Ok."

And, onto the truck and away to Texas they went.

• Haha
    Reactions: geek65 and KZP
    Last two moves, I have moved my own guns. Both to far for leave and come back for. Once from Texas to Ohio, and the second Ohio to NC. Gun cases and fill the passenger compartments of a large truck and suv.

As long as your smart and don’t just give them ample opportunity and time, your stuff will be relatively safe in your travel.

A far as theft.
    -Don't trust hotel parking lots, lots of criminals troll hotel parking lots, and like work at or have accomplice at the hotel . I personally would find a bed and breakfast if its a multi day trip, vet the owners and location. Fuck sleeping in a uhaul.
    -Do not leave you vehicle unattended or unlocked at gas/food stops. If possible keep someone with the vehicle at all times or in view.
    -Bury/secure your valuables so its the hardest thing to get to. If you have a safe(s)move with your stuff inside the safe, first thing u load.
    - Use a moving van, not a trailer. Park so the door is not easily accessible or blocked, like a wall. If really paranoid pull the fuel pump rely any where you stop for extended time period.
    - Do not accidentally drive into Mexico or Canada.

You could always find some reputable hide members, many scattered across the states. See if it’s ok to park at their residents and make those points your destinations along the way.

I wouldn’t park in a urban area but in areas like mine I could forget an AI on the hood of my truck and it will be there in the morning

Or bring a buddy and drive, swap, sleep, repeat

Reactions: Maggot
    I am contemplating moving in the near future. My past couple moves have been local and I've been able to transport my guns etc. easily in my car. What needs to be considered when moving greater distances taking security, liability and theft into consideration?
    Where are you moving to and from? Perhaps there are some guys along the way that might have an actual vault or two that could hold them for you or help move them for you? I bet we got some guys that would be willing to help. I know I housed two 8’ truck beds worth of Guns and ammo in one of my vaults for a friend of mine when he moved across country.

Geez you guys are selfish, I'd be more than happy to hold your stuff for you until you get settled. How much ammo should I anticipate?

• Haha
    Reactions: geek65
    After being in the military, traveling the world 1,000s of times, loading and unloading aircraft for missions, loading/unloading cargo or bags, here's the best answer:
    Pack them on the bottom of all your other shit.
    God knows that NO ONE want to dig thru a pile of (insert items) JUST to get to those boxes on the bottom of the stack. I can't tell you how many people make the mistake of loading their shit first, knowing they are going to be the first stop to unload PAX, then want their shit unloaded. We popped the straps and said get to it....it's not going to be us finding it for you.

Don't be some cheap ass and stay at the cheapest hotels along the way.
    Scrape any/all "firearms" related stickers off your vehicles.
    Enjoy the trip!!

You move it in your own vehicle and never leave them in your car unattended, bring them with you in the hotel

I don't think my collection would fit in the hotel room, and I didn't think I owned much.

Insurance! Make sure you're covered, since most times they would be under a homeowners policy.

Try and give it a go in 1 shot. Take a buddy and switch out driving.

• Love
    Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    You move it in your own vehicle and never leave them in your car unattended, bring them with you in the hotel
    This is what I'm going to end up doing when I go from TX to AZ. Guns will be in my vehicle in assorted cases, and go into the hotel room with me. I don't give a fuck what looks I get when I'm gonna be hauling in multiple pelicans and soft cases LOL. Everyone can eat a dick.

Loaded mp5k at my side while I cuddlefuck all my AR's, whiskey drunk, covered in jello.

Last edited:
    I think I’ve read close to a dozen replies here where people are paranoid about thieves breaking into a uhaul, because they somehow have a crystal ball that tells them there’s guns in there lol. Tens of thousands of people move with uhuals every day, many staying at hotels and it’s extremely uncommon to get broken into if it’s locked.

How many of you ride around with gun or outdoor stickers on the back of your truck? Serious question.

Just move your guns yourself and you won’t have any issue. If you stay at a hotel don’t have gun stickers all over your vehicle like a moron, keep them out of sight, and keep your vehicle locked.

Most people breaking into cars in parking lots are walking around looking for unlocked cars. They’re not smashing windows which makes a lot of noise and then opening the locked car which will set off the alarm and make even more noise. They’re smart enough to not draw attention to themselves, but that’s about as far as their intelligence goes. There’s always people coming and going at hotels and the decent ones usually have well lit parking lots.

My neighborhood has been hit like this twice in the last few months and the first time it was like 1am on a Saturday and the most recent (a week or so ago) was a week day about the same time. Nobody got broken into who’s car was locked, but both times the same retard a street over with gun stickers all over his truck left guns in it and unlocked and they got stolen. Imagine that. The same people hit my buddies neighborhood the next one up and his neighbor had passed away who had an almost brand new Cadillac that the family had left the keys in and unlocked for the bank to come pick up and they stole the car. So just don’t be stupid and advertise that you have guns and lock your shit.

Eastern Insurance. Get a policy - covers theft from home, auto, hotel room.
    Move them yourself, don't attract attention.

^^^ exactly

get insurance that is worth more than the weapons to begin with...then hope they get stolen and buy better stuff

all joking aside, get insurance and what ever happens , happens

Before we met, my wife’s appartment was broken into. It was the scum bag across the hall. Since then- like 25 years ago- she has been paranoid that EVERYONE is trying to steal her stuff.

Realize that most people don’t care one lick about your stuff, and are not trying to steal from you. Most valuable stuff in first is a great suggestion. That very minority of people that are trying to steal your stuff are lazy.

Don’t draw attention is a great suggestion. It is crazy how many people preach “grey man” and then jump into a diesel dually covered in tactical stickers.

A rolling stone gathers no moss- or thieves. Make your stops brief and keep your situational awareness about you when you do stop. Brightly lit lots, visible from inside of the building, not tucked away in the back where no one is watching. Team driving if you can swing it. Moved a buddy (and his wife) from Austin to Ithaca NY after college and only stopped for gas and food. 2 cars, 4 drivers. He paid for my meals and a flight back to Texas.

My dog and I moved our valuables from New Haven CT to Sunnyvale CA. Made two stops to rest, as the dog really didn’t want to drive. Pulled in after midnight and back on the road by 6am. Other than that is was fuel stops and drive thru food.

My insurance is with gunandtrophy.com

And if your route comes through North Georgia, you have a safe place to stop here.

Last edited:
    I think I’ve read close to a dozen replies here where people are paranoid about thieves breaking into a uhaul, because they somehow have a crystal ball that tells them there’s guns in there lol. Tens of thousands of people move with uhuals every day, many staying at hotels and it’s extremely uncommon to get broken into if it’s locked.

How many of you ride around with gun or outdoor stickers on the back of your truck? Serious question.

Just move your guns yourself and you won’t have any issue. If you stay at a hotel don’t have gun stickers all over your vehicle like a moron, keep them out of sight, and keep your vehicle locked.

Most people breaking into cars in parking lots are walking around looking for unlocked cars. They’re not smashing windows which makes a lot of noise and then opening the locked car which will set off the alarm and make even more noise. They’re smart enough to not draw attention to themselves, but that’s about as far as their intelligence goes. There’s always people coming and going at hotels and the decent ones usually have well lit parking lots.

My neighborhood has been hit like this twice in the last few months and the first time it was like 1am on a Saturday and the most recent (a week or so ago) was a week day about the same time. Nobody got broken into who’s car was locked, but both times the same retard a street over with gun stickers all over his truck left guns in it and unlocked and they got stolen. Imagine that. The same people hit my buddies neighborhood the next one up and his neighbor had passed away who had an almost brand new Cadillac that the family had left the keys in and unlocked for the bank to come pick up and they stole the car. So just don’t be stupid and advertise that you have guns and lock your shit.
    ghetto goblins dont need a crystal ball....they will steal anything that isnt bolted down.....they know a moving trailer is likely to at least contain some electronics, maybe some jewlery.......and a trailer is the easiest thing in the world to steal......just back up your car next to the trailer, unhook and rehook, then drive off.....you are gone in under a minute without making a sound.

regarding breaking windows.....you think a person asleep in a hotel at 2am is going to wake up, run to the window, and call the police because some hoodlum is cracking open a window?.......breaking glass isnt as loud as people think it is........it barely makes a sound, and you sure as hell arent going to hear it from a dead sleep inside a building.

a few months ago, i had my windows busted out, in my driveway, all so some asshole could steal a backpack with nothing in it...

Reactions: clcustom1911
    How many hour drive is it straight through? The person that said get a friend to help drive has got the right answer. There are a lot of people on this site that might be able to help drive, and maybe another member can bring that person back

As somebody said before, thieves will steal anything… clothes close, tennis rackets, golf clubs… does it matter.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    regarding breaking windows.....you think a person asleep in a hotel at 2am is going to wake up, run to the window, and call the police because some hoodlum is cracking open a window?.......breaking glass isnt as loud as people think it is........it barely makes a sound, and you sure as hell arent going to hear it from a dead sleep inside a building.

a few months ago, i had my windows busted out, in my driveway, all so some asshole could steal a backpack with nothing in it...
    Yep. Had the passenger side window busted out in my Silverado, in an appartment lot, while we were having out house built. Ransacked the glove box, never opened the door- because, factory alarm. Probably looking for a gun or cash (I mean what self respecting pickup owner doesn't have a pistol in the glove box?). The only thing of value (my Oakleys) were knocked into the floorboard where the thief couldn't reach them. The person(s) hit about a dozen cars in that lot that night. Same MO. No one heard anything. Glass doesn't make much noise, not enough to hear from inside a building, across a parking lot. And, with those rescue pen spring loaded glass break things being as common as they are, breaking automotive glass is a simple affair.

Yep. Had the passenger side window busted out in my Silverado, in an appartment lot, while we were having out house built. Ransacked the glove box, never opened the door- because, factory alarm. Probably looking for a gun or cash (I mean what self respecting pickup owner doesn't have a pistol in the glove box?). The only thing of value (my Oakleys) were knocked into the floorboard where the thief couldn't reach them. The person(s) hit about a dozen cars in that lot that night. Same MO. No one heard anything. Glass doesn't make much noise, not enough to hear from inside a building, across a parking lot. And, with those rescue pen spring loaded glass break things being as common as they are, breaking automotive glass is a simple affair.
    In the LEO business we used to call Harbor Freight the Burglars Choice in tools.

We'd always find center punches, small crow bars in children's superhero backpacks in burglars vehicles next to the car seat.

Pro tip: they never had any kids. Child's backpack and car seat were decoys. I know, so shocked a thief would try and blend in/deceive cops while out an about doing thief things. 🙄

Reactions: 308pirate
    A guy I worked with moved from California to Texas with his considerable gun collection. He had 3 huge safes full of guns. He hired a moving company. The guy with the fork lift said;

"Do I want to know what are in these safes?"
    "Nope."
    "Ok."

And, onto the truck and away to Texas they went.
    Risky. I guess it must have worked out. I've moved with moving companies several times and they will not move firearms or any hazmat stuff. That guy was lucky as if there was an accident or any other issue where it would be revealed that there were firearms, I would bet your friend would have been out of luck for any loss insurance wise from the moving company, and the moving company crew would probably be in big trouble too.

As others have posted, move them yourself in whatever vehicle is appropriate, be discreet and you should be fine.

Yeah that’s what worries me. Don’t want any movers seeing or touching my stuff either. Thanks
    I've moved my own; but, I even get a bit paranoid when anybody is in my house. I'm looking to have floors done and I know that I may just not have the one room done. Between safe and ammo, people can deduce. Kinda scary. Moving adds another level or 3 of potential theft.

I've moved my own; but, I even get a bit paranoid when anybody is in my house. I'm looking to have floors done and I know that I may just not have the one room done. Between safe and ammo, people can deduce. Kinda scary. Moving adds another level or 3 of potential theft.
    Yeah, I have somewhat of this problem. Need to have my basement finished as I’ve been trying to get to some of it for 5 years now. I just want it done. The problem is, whoever does it will see one of the vaults, like you can’t miss it, it’s an 8’ tall and I dunno 5’ wide door and for this reason the basement still has not been finished in. The idea is to do a hidden Door wall and then finish in that room and close it off from the rest. So that way when the workers come they will just think that one room is an office or something. However, the flooring people will know. Cause I will have to have someone in there to get the flooring of the entire downstairs to match.

Yeah, I have somewhat of this problem. Need to have my basement finished as I’ve been trying to get to some of it for 5 years now. I just want it done. The problem is, whoever does it will see one of the vaults, like you can’t miss it, it’s an 8’ tall and I dunno 5’ wide door and for this reason the basement still has not been finished in. The idea is to do a hidden Door wall and then finish in that room and close it off from the rest. So that way when the workers come they will just think that one room is an office or something. However, the flooring people will know. Cause I will have to have someone in there to get the flooring of the entire downstairs to match.
    Yeah, regardless the door will have to be opened. My dad had a safe and he built "furniture" to hold the safe. It was still obvious to anybody what was in it because the people who built the cabinet didn't do a good job; but the point was to make it look like built in cabinetry with drawers and stuff. Like a huge armoire.

It makes me want to buy multiple safes to make stealing a bit harder to do quickly. Disperse the problem.

Back to the OP. Fortunately, my moves have been within 12 hours so I could drive them straight through. Ammo though, a different issue because it weighs so much and requires multiple trips.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    Yeah, regardless the door will have to be opened. My dad had a safe and he built "furniture" to hold the safe. It was still obvious to anybody what was in it because the people who built the cabinet didn't do a good job; but the point was to make it look like built in cabinetry with drawers and stuff. Like a huge armoire.

It makes me want to buy multiple safes to make stealing a bit harder to do quickly. Disperse the problem.

Back to the OP. Fortunately, my moves have been within 12 hours so I could drive them straight through. Ammo though, a different issue because it weighs so much and requires multiple trips.
    Yeah I have 2 safes. One weighs about 800 (1/4" thick steel box, almost a "B" rated safe) the other about 1300 (document vault 😝) empty. Add in 200-400 pounds of bullshit into each one and lag bolted into foundation. Good luck moving that shit.

Gonna be a bitch to move.

Last edited:
    Yeah I have 2 safes. One weighs about 800 (1/4" thick steel box, almost a "B" rated safe) the other about 1300 (document vault 😝) empty. Add in 200-400 pounds of bullshit into each one and lag bolted into foundation. Good luck moving that shit.

Gonna be a bitch to move.
    Browning prosteel here. I think it's right at 900 lbs unloaded. Is it a great safe; no, but I think they'd have to cut their way through because it's not going anywhere. To get it in, was a major PITA, so getting it out they'll have to take the door frame out. I think we had 1/4" each side to get it through the door and it comes out at an angle. I've wondered myself just how it will come out if and when I move. Next safe may well be an AMSEC, but a smaller one.

I don't think I could move guns in a safe across country unless I could figure out how to make them secure enough not to beat the hell out of each other. Then put that in the middle of the moving vehicle so they'd have no direct access fore/aft/side.

Image 9-2-21 at 11.36 AM.jpg

You don't need to break a window to get into a car. I can get into any vehicle in less than 2 minutes with these. I have unlocked about 10 vehicles in the last year using two of these airbags. They can unlock your car with out you knowing if the alarm doesn't trip.

Browning prosteel here. I think it's right at 900 lbs unloaded. Is it a great safe; no, but I think they'd have to cut their way through because it's not going anywhere. To get it in, was a major PITA, so getting it out they'll have to take the door frame out. I think we had 1/4" each side to get it through the door and it comes out at an angle. I've wondered myself just how it will come out if and when I move. Next safe may well be an AMSEC, but a smaller one.

I don't think I could move guns in a safe across country unless I could figure out how to make them secure enough not to beat the hell out of each other. Then put that in the middle of the moving vehicle so they'd have no direct access fore/aft/side.
    I'm gonna empty them and have them shipped freight LOL. I'll order a LTL freight mover like XPO to show up, pick up, and deliver a few days later. Probably cost me $800-1000 to move both at the same time, but whatever