• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving South, need reloading AO ideas

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
If you have a picture of your reloading AO, post a picture of the area.
I am starting from scratch, and will be building the nenches and shelves myself as funds permit.

Step 1: Refinish garage floor
Step 2: Insulate walls
Step 3: Drywall walls and fire tape
Step 4: Build Benches and shelves
Step 5: Set up Reloading Area

Buying a house so I am hoping to make this area happen within a few months. Man, June 24th can't come soon enough!

Re: Moving South, need reloading AO ideas

Switchblade,

I'm set up in my garage, on a bank of base cabinets I salvaged from an office space that vacated in the late '90's. I actually built many of the cabinets for the tenant during that decade so I had first dibs on them when they moved! I have others of them in several rooms of my house
grin.gif

I have a narrow area to work in my garage so I set two 3-0 base cabinets, under a 6'-0 countertop. With 3 3'-0 wall cabinets set 28" above it, I made a wall cube storage rack to fit between the base and wall cabs, pushed all the way back to the wall. The cells are 5"w X 5"h and 4" deep with a double groove track above and below for sliding plexiglass "doors". I keep my dillon tool heads and calibre specific stuff stored in the cells.

I also have shelves and other cabinets nearby as there is not enough room unless I clean up after myself regularly, which I rarely do!

Good luck with the move. I was in Eastern Tennessee three weeks ago; very nice country and excellent people. Even the State Trooper who popped me for 77 in a 55 was a nice guy!

I am thinking a 4 x 4 outer frame with 2 x 4 supports and 1 x 4 work tops with a 1/2" ply over it. Corner set up in the garage. Looking for pics so I can get some inspiration. I'll be doing it in steps...I think buying a house may leave a bit to spend, but those of you with house payments may know better
grin.gif

I built my bench for 25 bucks at Home Depot, all depends on how big of a bench you want or need. I am in an apartment, I dont have a lot of space.

Mine is built with a 2"x4" frame around the top, its 2'x4' with a piece of 3/4" green board on top, I used 2"x4" for the legs as well and put a piece of 1"x4" on three sides and left the front open.

If I had to do it over again I would put some shelves on the bottom on my stretchers, for the legs and I would use 4"x4" posts insted of the 2"x4"'s I used. Shelving on the bottom would help with table wiggle when using my manual trimmer. And would put more weight for stubborn cases.

Also when it came time to mount my powder thrower and trimmer I drilled some holes thru the top and used some blind T nuts on the bottom that I just screw some machine screws into to hold things down and I can take it on and off as I need to and dont have to worry about losing a nut or anything like that since I used the T nuts with teeth and just pounded them into the bottom of the top.

Definately going with a 4x4 base. Movement sucks when the presses are being used. Since I am a bit of a gearhead I figure a corner set up should work. Reload on one side, work bench with vice etc on the other.
I know I have seen a couple pics here, just can't find the dang thread
grin.gif

here you go...the classic....all my load gear is on Steel castered benches....don't forget to leave room for the margarita machine...
MVC-017F.jpg

Believe it or not, this area can be very productive...There is about 4 additional feet to the right of the genuine mahogany loading blocks! The two base cabinets I mentioned and the wall cabinets are not easy to flesh out but occupy the space below, above and to the right (out of view) as well. The storage cubes also project right. It is a narrow space so a frontal shot is difficult. It suffices for my purposes in my little garage!

The shelves in the background hold a good many items in addition to reloading gear.

DSCF3763.jpg