• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving Target System

Centerfire01

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2019
Hey yall,
I've searched and have not found precisely the answers I was looking for. Our range has the foundation for a moving target system and it works however there are some drawbacks. It is on C channel, it is a cart based system, and it is powered by a garage door opener (drawback). First things first, the garage door opener reaches its duty cycle within 3 runs (about 25 yards one direction) before it goes into safe mode that lasts for about 10 minutes before it is ready to make the next 3 runs. Not acceptable. It is powered by a 1800 watt gas generator so I don't have any power limitations. I've been looking into a 1 hp or so DC motor? I'm confused on exactly how to reverse the current? I know the speed can be controlled with a potentiometer by limiting voltage. Is there a better solution than a DC motor? My other question is how hard will it be on the motor reversing current in this manner? a 50 pound cart traveling in one direction and then suddenly told to reverse course and spin the other way with that load can't be good? any ideas? I'm all ears and very excited to make this work for our range guys and students.

Not sure if you have the resources to purchase... but this moving target system is badass.

Sorry, I Cant help with diagnosing the issues with your current system.

https://inmotiontargets.com/

Last edited:
You buy a large enough motor that it won't care about the duty, load or being reversed. I bought my last one from zoro.

Use sensors and relays to reverse the motor. Lots of ways to do it but you need to learn about basic electrical control.

With a three phase motor you can do instant stops and some really neat shit.

Reactions: Centerfire01
Talk to your local Baldor dealer? I am too far away to be of much more help but they would be able to replace your existing motor with something more suitable.

You buy a large enough motor that it won't care about the duty, load or being reversed. I bought my last one from zoro.

Use sensors and relays to reverse the motor. Lots of ways to do it but you need to learn about basic electrical control.

With a three phase motor you can do instant stops and some really neat shit.
3 phase would require atleaat 220 right? Only have access to 120 via generator. Our facility is pretty remote.

Get a used gate operator, chain run. Way strong. They come w the limiters and wireless or wired controls
This. Chain run gate operator literally does every thing you need it to.

If you get a lift master one, I think you could run the targets from your phone. fucking great idea one shot!

Hey yall,
I've searched and have not found precisely the answers I was looking for. Our range has the foundation for a moving target system and it works however there are some drawbacks. It is on C channel, it is a cart based system, and it is powered by a garage door opener (drawback). First things first, the garage door opener reaches its duty cycle within 3 runs (about 25 yards one direction) before it goes into safe mode that lasts for about 10 minutes before it is ready to make the next 3 runs. Not acceptable. It is powered by a 1800 watt gas generator so I don't have any power limitations. I've been looking into a 1 hp or so DC motor? I'm confused on exactly how to reverse the current? I know the speed can be controlled with a potentiometer by limiting voltage. Is there a better solution than a DC motor? My other question is how hard will it be on the motor reversing current in this manner? a 50 pound cart traveling in one direction and then suddenly told to reverse course and spin the other way with that load can't be good? any ideas? I'm all ears and very excited to make this work for our range guys and students.

I can't help with what motor, however a double pole double throw switch is very easy to wire for reversing a 12v power supply. If chain driven you could simply add trip bar or bars to flip the switch.