• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving to austin tx area

Novoron

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2019
hello,
I am an avid gun lover from Utah, my job got moved to central Austin and i will be needing to move near there.
id prefer not to be in the middle of the city and i am interested in any advice as to where i might find a good environment to move to.
when i first heard I needed to move to Texas i was quite relived but i see that democrats from commiefornia are doing similar things to your great state.

i've seen a lot about the liberal democrat controlled area of austin and would prefer to live outside of austin and commute in.

any advice anyone can give would be most appreciated as I have to be down there by beginning of next month

i would also like to hear about any good ranges out there as ill be needing some good places to go.

appreciate the assistance

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
If you can afford it, move to the Hill country west of Austin. The traffic might be a bitch if you have to commute a lot. Cherokee is pretty ad far enough out to be solidly red, possibly affordable, but again, a long commute.

Anywhere outside of the green circle and you'll generally be shitt'n in tall cotton

Screenshot_20210815-100019_Maps.jpg

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
You could also look a bit further North to Georgetown or even Salado or Belton where I am. I would mean about an hour commute though even if you took the 130 toll road. Bell Co. is pretty solidly red, lots of former and current military due to Ft. Hood. Lake Belton is beautiful and good fishing.

Stay as far away from the city as you can tolerate. Austin is the same as any large liberal city with all the associated problems. High crime, homeless encampments, and sky high prices.
LOCAL NEWS

Mayor Steve Adler addresses rise in violent crime across Austin​

The mayor also discussed updates on the homeless strategy plan expected to come this week.

Austin Loses Patience With Camping in the Streets​

Liberal voters rebuke leftist politicians for a policy that brought homeless encampments to the city’s public spaces.​

1629033439523.png

Homeless men and women under an overpass in Austin, Texas, March 15, 2020.​

PHOTO: RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL/ZUMA PRESS

Austin is terrible. My brother is currently moving to Liberty Hill area. Over priced homes, over populated, schools are ok but be very careful about drugs because those are rampant everywhere in suburbs. Also this is the headquarters to the "Karens" of the world. If you have to.... I agree. West or north. Lampasas is awesome, Llano area is awesome too. You can get acreage and build a home in Johnson City cheaper than buying one in the suburbs. Pm me if you actually need real info.

Lots of nice areas around Austin. Scenic country. Traffic is gonna suck. Hard to get away from scourge of liberalism/leftists and be close to the city.

Good God. Being sent to Austin today would be like being sentenced to move to Portland or San Francisco. Maybe not that bad but pretty bad.

I was born in Austin and grew up in the hills overlooking it. I don't venture in that Leftist shithole now unless I absolutely have to.

Sorry to cast a shadow on your move OP but Austin went from being quiet Heaven on Earth secret to a Leftist commie shithole. Also, the faggot mayor is taking in busloads of illegals from the border that haven't been tested for Covid so it's a sanctuary grow lab to spread the disease for Fauchi and Gates.

You may look south in the Buda area. Any place within 40 miles of Austin is booming.

South of Austin is just fine too. New Braunfels, San Marcos area was my neighborhood for a long time. 35 sucks, but no worse than any other commute listed here. Green line is accurate! Also a lot of open country along the 130 toll, but still too close to Austin for my liking.

I have to go into S. Austin and then New Braunfels tomorrow. The traffic on 35 going through New Braunfels is crazy.

Stay as far away from the city as you can tolerate. Austin is the same as any large liberal city with all the associated problems. High crime, homeless encampments, and sky high prices.
LOCAL NEWS

Mayor Steve Adler addresses rise in violent crime across Austin​

The mayor also discussed updates on the homeless strategy plan expected to come this week.

Austin Loses Patience With Camping in the Streets​

Liberal voters rebuke leftist politicians for a policy that brought homeless encampments to the city’s public spaces.​

View attachment 7685083

Homeless men and women under an overpass in Austin, Texas, March 15, 2020.​

PHOTO: RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL/ZUMA PRESS
Wow, that's an upscale hood from most I've seen, they got porta johns and hand wash stations. I'll bet there's even a sharps receptacle for their used needles. ;)

Wow, that's an upscale hood from most I've seen, they got porta johns and hand wash stations. I'll bet there's even a sharps receptacle for their used needles. ;)
And that's why there is a homeless problem. They are encouraged to stay homeless with porta potty's, showers, food, license to panhandle, etc. Although, to be fair, it's hitting too close to home for the wealthy Karen's and they are putting a stop to it all.

Well, Karen's may be good for something after all. I'd actually prefer to see Austin Fire Dept. do drive by water cannon patrols. I'd even buy a ticket for that!

all of this is great information. plus side texas. negative side austin.
ill definitely be looking around and as for commute. if i have to commute for an hour or more to not deal with it, then so be it

We live just north of New Braunfels…. This have gotten crazy expensive here over the past 18-24 months; glad we bought when we did. Can’t imagine trying to find a nice place around here now.

You can also look at Wemberly, etc, or as someone else mentioned, down south along the 130 toll road/loop. Where will work take you? Into Austin properor just near there?

Good luck!

Hope you don't like to shoot or enjoy outdoor activities, cuz you are moving from an area with abundant public land to a state with almost 0 public land. No driving out into the desert and setting up a target, or 4 wheeling BLM land, or camping outside of a designated improved camp ground... But, if you have a boat, there is still Devil's Cove on Lake Travis...

Unless you are coming into a really good paying job and you have a thick skin for Liberals, Austin proper is not where you want to be. We will be another Portland in two years if something is not done about our useless Mayor and corrupt city council. If you listen to the local news here, you will live in a constant state of wanting to hurt someone.

Hope you don't like to shoot or enjoy outdoor activities, cuz you are moving from an area with abundant public land to a state with almost 0 public land. No driving out into the desert and setting up a target, or 4 wheeling BLM land, or camping outside of a designated improved camp ground... But, if you have a boat, there is still Devil's Cove on Lake Travis...
If you have a boat you have Lake Travis all the way to Marble Falls and lets not forget Hippy Hollow right around the bend from Devil's Cove.

You're right about no public land and places to shoot. If you didn't know 95% of Texas is privately owned just ask a landowner politely if you can go on his property. He'll most likely respond, "Hell no! This is private property!"

If you have a boat you have Lake Travis all the way to Marble Falls and lets not forget Hippy Hollow right around the bend from Devil's Cove.

You're right about no public land and places to shoot. If you didn't know 95% of Texas is privately owned just ask a landowner if you can go on his property. He'll most likely respond, "Hell no! This is private property!"
The first shot is not a warning...
Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again. :LOL::unsure::oops:

The first shot is not a warning...
Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again. :LOL::unsure::oops:
There was a big ranch up here on Lake Travis and we boys would prank call the ranch house. Course this was before caller I.D. We'd hear that rotory dial ring tone of a remote location in the country, and I mean late at night when the poor bastard was in bed.

"Can we hunt on your property this weekend?"

Ranch foreman *long pause - "Hell no, This is so and so ranch!"

Us - "We know what ranch it is. Thats why we want to hunt there."

Five calls and three hours later - "OK, we decided we're going to hunt there anyway."

Foreman - "@(^%)%$#@! you little sons a b*tches!"

I would have hated to be the trespasser that foreman actually caught.

There are a few commercial ranges around ustin, but they are not very good, either run by assholes, too expensive, or both, in the case of Red's Indoor Range.
The Austin Rifle Club is a good bet. Membership is $175 a year for a family, and you have 24/7 access to rifle and pistol ranges. It's not highly trgimented, but we do enforce the safety rules. But, if you are a safe shooter, that's not a problem, right?

Start wearing a wig and rainbow colored T shirts saying fuck you every morning to the boss until he/she/it fires you... Then sue the fuck out of him for firing you because of your 1st amendment rights and lgbqxfderh affiliation.

Do not move to Austin... , it's that bad and worth the hassle of the above mentioned.

You said you will be working in central Austin, but seriously how close do you have to be in Austin? Do you absolutely have to be inside their borders? If you have school-age children, will you be home schooling, private schooling (in your budget) or public schooling (i.e. they are stepchildren)? This is a very serious consideration. Spend some time figuring out commuting routes and risks/benefit rewards to being right were your work is.

I'm most likely heading to Dripping Springs first. Buy a shitty house to keep as a rental once I figure out where I want to be (Fredericksburg, Kerrville, etc.). If all the dicks continue to move to Austin, housing will go up a lot more.

When our son was stationed at Randolph AFB at Universal City, we went to the range outside of New Braufels. Great range. Don’t know about the city because I have not been there in a while, but a really nice range and next to a private gun club that holds some great matches. I almost miss the place.

Not that it matters but Randolph was a throwback to the between war (WW I and WW II for you young folks) ambiance and beauty. Will III did not really enjoy himself there but the visitors accommodations were special.

(sorry for the big words, but Randolf brags about being the showplace of the US AFB and I believe it)

I'm most likely heading to Dripping Springs first. Buy a shitty house to keep as a rental once I figure out where I want to be (Fredericksburg, Kerrville, etc.). If all the dicks continue to move to Austin, housing will go up a lot more.
Good luck finding a shitty house thats affordable in Dripping Spring, that place is exploding. I use to live in Dripping Dick.

In the 80's I also helped build and shot on one of the best ranges there was on a ranch out on Hamilton Pool Rd. The ranch/range owner was a schizophrenic called Crazy Richard but he forewarned anyone who would listen that the NWO was going to try and put a computer chip in us and China was going to be behind it.

There was a big ranch up here on Lake Travis and we boys would prank call the ranch house. Course this was before caller I.D. We'd hear that rotory dial ring tone of a remote location in the country, and I mean late at night when the poor bastard was in bed.

"Can we hunt on your property this weekend?"

Ranch foreman *long pause - "Hell no, This is so and so ranch!"

Us - "We know what ranch it is. Thats why we want to hunt there."

Five calls and three hours later - "OK, we decided we're going to hunt there anyway."

Foreman - "@(^%)%$#@! you little sons a b*tches!"

I would have hated to be the trespasser that foreman actually caught.
Lol... That's some good fun stuff.
You can use an IP phone and get all kinds of different landline phone numbers… Don't never build a track you down.

Remember to tell them that you're gonna be hunting from a helicopter... Don't be walking outside looking up at the sky anytime they hear a prop...lol

Good luck finding a shitty house thats affordable in Dripping Spring, that place is exploding. I use to live in Dripping Dick.

In the 80's I also helped build and shot on one of the best ranges there was on a ranch out on Hamilton Pool Rd. The ranch/range owner was a schizophrenic called Crazy Richard but he forewarned anyone who would listen that the NWO was going to try and put a computer chip in us and China was going to be behind it.
So crazy Richard was CIA?

Texas is all private land, nothing like UTah were you can shoot as far as you want to On public land, The best thing to do is join a local precision rifle club and shoot matches on private land. Austin blows definitely commute in

no kids, just me, yeah its in austin and round rock. couple places ill be moving between

So crazy Richard was CIA?
No, but one old shooter was a retired company man. Also, 'Charging Charley' Beckwith, the Green Beret Col. that founded Delta Force and led the raid to free the hostages in Iran during the Carter Administration was a regular out there. He loved his Colt Delta Elite 10mm.

It was also where Chip McCormick, a struggling drywall installer, got his start in the shooting industry.
He competed in an IPSC match out there in the late 70's, liked it, may have won it I don't recall, borrowed money from another regular and bought the patent to from Charley Kelsey to the 8 round 1911 magazine and the rest is history. Lot happened on that ranch/range that helped the shooting industry. Now it's a ghost town of weed covered bunch of pits and berms.

no kids, just me, yeah its in austin and round rock. couple places ill be moving between
I grew up in Round Rock, and in the 80s Williamson County was the antithesis of Austin. It was still a small (~30,000 residents) bedroom community of people that commuted to Austin. I haven't been back since other than to drive through. There is a lot to like about Austin, but the govt has really run it into the ground. When I was living there in the late 90s and early 2000s, you had to go looking for a homeless person- they were there, but not in your face there. Now, the homeless encampments are much more readily apparent. It is not San Francisco, but it is definitely trying.

Even though we live a few hours away, we still have our venison sausage made at a processor in Austin. I kind of like knowing that liberal vegans are walking past the place where I am dropping off deer parts. Its not even hidden- they just don't know what it is...

Even though we live a few hours away, we still have our venison sausage made at a processor in Austin. I kind of like knowing that liberal vegans are walking past the place where I am dropping off deer parts. Its not even hidden- they just don't know what it is...
Johnny G's in Manchaca?

An update. I'm now in texas. Landed a place in lockhart. Now to find a good long range shooting club

Thank you for all your insight everyone

There was a shooting Halloween night around 10:00. Can't remember if there was a death or not. police response time was 53 minutes. The Chief of Police said there were no officers in that area to respond.
Welcome to Austin.

Congratulations on Lockhart, not a bad area. I'm not aware of any ranges in the immediate area but I know that there's there's one in Eagle Lake area, west houston is American shooting center... Only out to 600 and limited steel, There's another one in Fort Bend County, Brazos rifle club or something like that

Blacks was my first stop in lockhart haha. Part of the reason I bought a place there

Shot at Dietz range outside of New Braunfel’s when our son was stationed at Randolph AFB. CTSA is a private range next to Dietz. Both are nice ranges. Dietz is a 200 yard range, the CTSA is 500 yards. We like both ranges and the folks at Dietz were good people. Caviat, we last shot there in 2006/2007. However CTSA is still holding IHMSA matches so they are still going fairly strong.

CTSA

Dietz Gunshop and Range

How's Liberty Hill area vs Spicewood vs Dripping Springs? Might be better to look at rentals for 6-12 months while we get to know the lay of the land. Wife will be riding horses in Dripping Springs until we buy/build a horse property.