• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving to Northern VA, any ranges or clubs around?

DedicatedShooter

Air Winger
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
NoVA
Well, it’s time to head back to the east coast. Spent most of my active duty time over the last decade here in AZ and man, for a precision rifle and predator hunting guy…I am flat out spoiled.

Moving to the Quantico, VA area and aside from the matches/clubs on MCB Quantico, is there anywhere nearby that at least has a decent 100yd range? Any decent clubs around?

My days of setting steel wherever I want in any number of million-acre plus tracts of BLM land are over 😩

Any help is appreciated!

Izzac Walton Has a 100yd rifle range on 610 that’s open from 0900 to sundown 7 days a week:

I’m a big fan of our local IWLA. Ours has 300 yd rifle, pistol and trap house (the good kind) archery, a stocked pond and stream with trout, hunting etc.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
That's a really nice looking range but the rules are a huge turnoff compared to the freedom from nitpicky bullshit at similar ranges here in OH
Wow, you aren't kidding....especially the special rules for the over 500 yard ranges.

But yes, very nice looking range....just too far from me in Maryland.

Reactions: 308pirate
not sure how far or close it would be for you but
the only 1 mile ranges in this whole area ( that I know of )
http://www.alexanderssportingfarmllc.com/ 600 yards in md
while not in Virginia crossing the bay bridge put you almost there ( almost ).
good luck finding a range close to you we had to go to md to even shoot to 600 yards a tiny 30 min drive
and if we want to shoot further like 1k it's a 4hr drive upstate pa to
or https://quanticoshootingclub.com/
not sure how many of these places exist still or if the information is even any good , but they do list quite a few places to shoot .

Reactions: DedicatedShooter
good luck finding a range close to you we had to go to md to even shoot to 600 yards a tiny 30 min drive
not sure how many of these places exist still or if the information is even any good , but they do list quite a few places to shoot .
From NOVA:

BangSteel = 5 hrs
Clinton House = 7 1/2 hrs
Thunder Valley = 6 hrs
Alexanders Sporting Farm = 2 1/2 hrs

Drive times can vary based on traffic, vehicle speed, and route but those are in the ballpark.

FWIW - We shoot 1,000y almost every weekend at the Quantico Club. Boyd's shoots a mile every month and Black Bear goes out to 2250y I believe.

Reactions: VSP968
Izzac Walton Has a 100yd rifle range on 610 that’s open from 0900 to sundown 7 days a week:

That’s perfect! It’s only 9 min from my house in Stafford too. Would you happen to know a member that would like to sponsor someone for a membership?

FWIW - We shoot 1,000y almost every weekend at the Quantico Club. Boyd's shoots a mile every month and Black Bear goes out to 2250y I believe.

I’m one of the Range 4 RSOs. We shoot one thousand yards every Sunday that it’s available. Steel or paper, your choice.

61089BB8-53C4-4F50-85B1-434DEAF84835.jpeg

10A6EAC5-ECAA-4A3E-8E5E-89626D431C1B.jpeg

0A08701B-3A04-42D8-9921-238E6D3F72ED.jpeg

@DedicatedShooter PM and we’ll figure the IWL membership thing out .

Last edited:
If you have any questions about the Quantico Shooting Club, drop me a line as I'm the President.

The IWLA on Rt 610 is convenient for zero and velocity testing, but they are limited to 100y.

Much appreciated! The IWLA looks very convenient. As long as I have somewhere local to zero, load dev, and test things then I'll be happy. I don't mind driving periodically to a match or larger range facility.

From NOVA:

BangSteel = 5 hrs
Clinton House = 7 1/2 hrs
Thunder Valley = 6 hrs
Alexanders Sporting Farm = 2 1/2 hrs

Drive times can vary based on traffic, vehicle speed, and route but those are in the ballpark.

Thank you! I've shot at Thunder Valley quite a bit when I was still in Ohio back in '09-'11. Tom Sarver is a great guy and runs a top-notch facility. I'll be making that drive a lot during the summer months!

Nobody mentioning Peacemaker? https://peacemakernational.com/ It's about 2 hours depending on traffic from Quantico. Worth the drive.

I've been a member at Peacemaker for about 10 years and it's a good range for the most part. It's close to my house so it's the most convenient range for me to hit up. Overall, the facilities are good and the people are good so I'm willing to put up with the recent membership cost increases. They have rules similar to Black Bear, not the same, but they also aren't natsies about it, use common sense on the range, follow RSO direction, and you'll be good.

Live a little further south, but we all shoot at Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club, Blackbear and Frontline Defense and Pigg River.

Last edited:
practiscore practiscore practiscore...

QSC has pretty much any kind of shooting you want to do. From 2 gun to PRS with big rifles to PRS with 22s to gas gun PRS matches to USPSA.

Elite is great because it's inside, but it's about an hour from MCB Quantico. They have an indoor 100yd range with a camera at 100yds so you can spot your hits. There's Silver Eagle up in Sterling, but that's another hour from Elite. The NRA range hosts IDPA matches 1x/month but they're hard to get in to

If you want to shoot small rifles, NVGC down in King George hosts MARS matches.

The Crucible hosts USPSA training 1x/mo too.

Fairfax Rod and Gun club hosts IDPA and 2 Gun Action challenge matches. If you want to shoot there, you need to get on their mailing list.

I haven't been to West-by-doG yet so can't comment on Peacemaker or the range next door

M

I've been a member at Peacemaker for about 10 years and it's a good range for the most part. It's close to my house so it's the most convenient range for me to hit up. Overall, the facilities are good and the people are good so I'm willing to put up with the recent membership cost increases. They have rules similar to Black Bear, not the same, but they also aren't natsies about it, use common sense on the range, follow RSO direction, and you'll be good.

The matches used to be run real sloppy and the member discount was fairly insufficient. I didn’t renew under new ownership given the cost…anything change for the positive over the last 3 years? I mean the 1000yd range was hardly ever open and forget about using the Frontier range outside of practice days (paid…) and competitions. If that kind of stuff hasn’t changed, HARD pass.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Fredericksburg Rod and Gun Club in Fredericksburg has a 25, 50, 100 and 200 yard range. Plus two steel ranges and several skeet and trap ranges. Just south of Quantico off I95. Also has a couple ponds for fishing. USPSA has monthly events there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defender3
Fredericksburg Rod and Gun Club in Fredericksburg has a 25, 50, 100 and 200 yard range. Plus to steel ranges and several skeet and trap ranges. Just south of Quantico off I95. Also has a couple ponds for fishing. USPSA has monthly events there.
I think they have a 1-2yr waiting list right now.

Reactions: cournot and VSP968
Moving to the Quantico, VA area and aside from the matches/clubs on MCB Quantico, is there anywhere nearby that at least has a decent 100yd range? Any decent clubs around?
I'm in Fairfax and feel the best 100 yd range is IWLA in Centreville. They also have a few different archery ranges (indoor, 3D walking, etc.), a nice skeet range, a fishing pond, and a tent camping area. Our Boy Scout Troop loved the location for a campout. Happy to take you out there as a guest when you arrive.

For anything beyond 100, I think QSC is the ticket. I haven't joined QSC yet, but went down a week ago to check it out (hadn't shot there since 2001 on duty...but it hasn't changed from what I could tell). The RSO on Ironman that Friday was cool and answered most of my questions. As soon as I get load dev done on my new rig, I'm going to join (@Defender3 , I may hit you up when I'm ready).

If you want something different, Pigg River near Roanoke is a cool range. I've also heard Black Bear Shooting Complex near Lynchburg is a cool spot, but it's 3+ hours away and has a crazy high membership fee.

That's a really nice looking range but the rules are a huge turnoff compared to the freedom from nitpicky bullshit at similar ranges here in OH
What about the 500yd+ rules is the turnoff for you? I've never been out there, but the rules all seem pretty reasonable to me (keep in mind all the folks w/ more money than skills coming from the DC area) and are likely a product of insurance requirements. Wouldn't want Uncle Bob showing up w/ his deer rifle he's shot 20 times in 5 years to see if he can hit steel at 1k w/ a holdover.

With that said, the $750 initiation fee is the big turnoff for me ... even if I wanted to drive 3+ hours to shoot.

Last edited:
What about the 500+ rules is the turnoff for you? I
RANGES OVER 500 YARDS-SPECIAL RULES AND PROCEDURES

On ranges over 500 yards, each shooter firing on these ranges MUST pass a "BBSC Certification Process" and maintain their privilege by observing the below long range rules
  • All shooters will prove their rifle system shoots 1 minute or better 5 shot group at 100 yards. Shooters will conduct a "proof group" and this will be signed off by the CRSO and brought back to BBSC HQ for completion of the Certification Process
  • All shooters will have their approved certificates ready to present to the RSO upon arrival to the range
  • The shooters will have their rifles zeroed at 100yds at 700 feet above sea level
  • All shooters will fire a sighter shot at 100 yds to verify the rifle system is working properly
  • The RSO will check and approve the shooters elevation table prior to loading
  • The shooter will shoot a 10moa target at 300 yds
  • Winds may exceed 25mph and ranges may close for excessive wind

That ^

Reactions: Baron23
Why? Is there a specific rule in there that you think is over the top? Or is it just that they’re being too paternalistic for your liking?
All of them are over the top.

I have access to ranges as good as that one that don't micromanage you with bullshit rules. If those ranges can function without all that bullshit, this one in VA can as well.

That's why.

They must have been burned somewhere along the way.

The former Pres of the QSC moved on to Texas and finally joined a local gun club this month. While not as anal as the rules above, he still had to qualify to shoot on their 1,000y range by hitting 1 MOA targets at 100, 200, 300, etc., out to 1,000. He smoked them and the guys were in awe.

There are some truly crappy shooters out there and with encroachment around ranges, and a distance X of some 6,400yds for a 338, I can see trying to mitigate liability by keeping some people in the kiddie pool. The stuff we see weekly at QSC will hurt your head.

Pretty sure FXRGC is worse. ...and lots more expensive.

Good news is that you don't need to be a member to shoot 2gun and IDPA matches

M
Fairfax does indeed have a waiting list....been a member there for 20 years or so I believe. Not sure how long it is currently.

And, it is, as mentioned, not a cheap club at $500/year but they do have 8 or 9 skeet/trap fields and many ranges for pistol and rifle and a very active comp program for both, and professional management that keeps the place pristine. Now, the $1,500 initiation fee for "associate member" is a def hit. But, if you upgrade to a full membership ($3k if bought from the club) that gets applied and you can, in the future, sell your full membership back to the club or to another individual. You are a shareholder, in other words, and its transferable.

But, nothing further than 300 yds and those lanes on the Culver range run thru the woods so when leaves are out and mirage is present it can be a bit challenging. The 200 yd Benson range, flat as a board, with target riser pits, and I think something like 30 or so benches is just beautiful and totally groomed. But, nothing longer than the 300 I mentioned.

Peacemaker is $480/year if not MIL/VET/LEO which brings it down to $420 (oh, still my beating heart LOL).

Reactions: VSP968
Fairfax does indeed have a waiting list....been a member there for 20 years or so I believe. Not sure how long it is currently.

And, it is, as mentioned, not a cheap club at $500/year but they do have 8 or 9 skeet/trap fields and many ranges for pistol and rifle and a very active comp program for both, and professional management that keeps the place pristine. Now, the $1,500 initiation fee for "associate member" is a def hit. But, if you upgrade to a full membership ($3k if bought from the club) that gets applied and you can, in the future, sell your full membership back to the club or to another individual. You are a shareholder, in other words, and its transferable.

But, nothing further than 300 yds and those lanes on the Culver range run thru the woods so when leaves are out and mirage is present it can be a bit challenging. The 200 yd Benson range, flat as a board, with target riser pits, and I think something like 30 or so benches is just beautiful and totally groomed. But, nothing longer than the 300 I mentioned.

Peacemaker is $480/year if not MIL/VET/LEO which brings it down to $420 (oh, still my beating heart LOL).
FXRGC is a nice place. Lots of places to shoot different things.

we shot a stage at the far end of Benson yesterday. Seems that the club won't let up use anything uprange from the berm. Aah well. I shot the MD a few ideas for using the berm as a simulated foxhole and got shot down. Sent the ideas before I knew the club rules.

It got DARK down 'the lane' towards the latter end of yesterday. Lots of trees overhanging that 300m range

The club hosts 2 gun and IDPA matches and allows non-members to shoot em so you don't need to fork out all that dough.

M

Reactions: Baron23
At QSC we're right on the edge of a waiting list. Our DoD mandated mil to civ ratio is monitored daily and we're about to have to start a wait list for non-mil for the first time in 10 years if we don't get the mil renewals we anticipate. At $150 for the year, we're defiantly a great value even though we're only open weekends.

The former Pres of the QSC moved on to Texas and finally joined a local gun club this month. While not as anal as the rules above, he still had to qualify to shoot on their 1,000y range by hitting 1 MOA targets at 100, 200, 300, etc., out to 1,000. He smoked them and the guys were in awe.

There are some truly crappy shooters out there and with encroachment around ranges, and a distance X of some 6,400yds for a 338, I can see trying to mitigate liability by keeping some people in the kiddie pool. The stuff we see weekly at QSC will hurt your head.
you're not talking about me are you? Cause despite the fact I suck at the game, them's fightin words!

...and yes, I'm kidding!

Buddy of mine just joined QSC. He was kvetching that they won't/wouldn't let him shoot his .338 on certain ranges. Since my rifles are all .22s (rim- and center-fire both) I don't have the problem.

M

you're not talking about me are you? Cause despite the fact I suck at the game, them's fightin words!

...and yes, I'm kidding!

Buddy of mine just joined QSC. He was kvetching that they won't/wouldn't let him shoot his .338 on certain ranges. Since my rifles are all .22s (rim- and center-fire both) I don't have the problem.

M
Since we're on an active military base, and the ranges face the airfield, we do have times when Range Control cannot deconflict the airspace and we are caliber limited. 50BMG is good, but 338LM is not. We never know when those restrictions will occur, so we always advise shooters to bring a backup if shooting 338.

The matches used to be run real sloppy and the member discount was fairly insufficient. I didn’t renew under new ownership given the cost…anything change for the positive over the last 3 years? I mean the 1000yd range was hardly ever open and forget about using the Frontier range outside of practice days (paid…) and competitions. If that kind of stuff hasn’t changed, HARD pass.

First, my opinions are colored by the fact that I live less than 20 minutes away from PNTC and I haven't really found any better options that offer similar facilities as close by. Plus, I've gotten to know a good bit of the range staff and they give me some leeway when I have a bay or I'm on the 500 yard range. Basically, they know me and don't worry about me shooting myself or someone else so they leave me be. The price hike after the new ownership took over sucks but it wasn't totally unexpected in this market, even still it's like $35/month for me so I can take that hit.

I have my "Air Force Village" loaded up and ready for the weekend. I'f I can get steel from Hichak we'll do the disparate distance steel on 7-8 targets Sunday. I'll also bring the new 6BR out to play. So far, it's doing it's part.

IMG_2597-2397967.jpg

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-05-26_17_24_19_7-2397981.png

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-05-30_12_29_33_0-2402351.png

Looking forward to it @Defender3. Two Sundays ago I was shooting the LRI 224V bolt gun build @1K : 85.5s going close to 2800fps showed promise

167C2D34-E716-4570-B59C-1FE4F68C64F6.jpeg

Although the 90VLDs and 90ATIPs where kind of all over the place at 1K:

0A2A00D9-A98A-4BD0-A78C-7C1AA22FBFFA.jpeg

I’ll bring my pop up and all my umbrellas….🙄

28913493-E684-433A-9C69-D3D15A28A0E3.jpeg

At QSC we're right on the edge of a waiting list. Our DoD mandated mil to civ ratio is monitored daily and we're about to have to start a wait list for non-mil for the first time in 10 years if we don't get the mil renewals we anticipate. At $150 for the year, we're defiantly a great value even though we're only open weekends.
You can count me on the mil side of that quota. It’ll just be a few weeks before my new comp rig is ready and loads developed.

I understand all about keeping the idiots away from where they can do damage. I have been member at two clubs where one has to demonstrate proficiency with trajectory management and raw marksmanship to go past a certain distance. But the rules I quoted at Bear Mountain (or whatever it's called) are just too much.

You didn’t address any of my salient points.
It appeared like you were expressing a pretty strong opinion of Peacemaker and that's fine, you spoke with your wallet, let your membership lapse, it's all good. There didn't seem to be any point in trying to dissuade you from your opinion so I didn't, I just provided my point of view. I will continue to be a member there because all in all they have good facilities for what I want to do and it isn't absurdly far away from me. The staff has discussed opening a rimfire only range and extending the Starlight bays out farther, I'm not privy to any timelines but that's what's been talked about in the shop.

The match schedule this year is light but funds are low for me this year so it doesn't really matter although I would like to check out some of the matches at Shadow Hawk across the way.

The match schedule this year is light but funds are low for me this year so it doesn't really matter although I would like to check out some of the matches at Shadow Hawk across the way.

I went to Shadow Hawk a month ago for the USPSA Delmarva Section championship. If the way they keep their rifle ranges and manage their long range matches is anything like what they do on the handgun side, it should be world class.

If the OP indeed transfers here, locates vic. Stafford, his best interests will be served by IWL on 610 for 100 yd work and then Quantico Shooting Club for shooting (every weekend) out to 1000 yds. We do 1000 yds every Sunday on Range 4 which is depicted on photos above in this thread. We can do lesser distances on Range 4 if members lend a hand in opening & running the range which means become a RSO which is no big challenge. That we are NOT on Range 4 shooting 300/600/800 on Saturdays is due to lack of RSO's not because we don't have the range or opportunity.

Of course if the OP wants to shoot beyond 1000 yds, other options are discussed and travel time, costs and other considerations stack up for consideration. I live 8 miles from Quantico so IWL and Quantico Range 4 are out my back door and ELite (indoor) and Peace Maker (far off) are not on my radar. It all depends on what is convenient or meets your requirements.

The two members of Quantico Shooting Club who have posted...one the club President and the other our most accurate long range shooter (sustained best last 14 years ) have accurately laid out seriously good information which anyone interested in shooting here ought to take to the bank.

We do shoot the LRSU 1000 Yard Milk Jug Challenge in a more aggressive manner. VSP 968, shot & hit it , cold bore, no practice shots...hit it on first shot and Yawned. With guys like that on the firing line, I am not a long range precision shooter but I do pretend to be ! I can't shoot or have not to date shot the tight sub sub MOA shot groups VSP 968 and Defender does but the huge 11''x8'' LRSU Milk Jug target at 1000 yds ...I hit it but then...admittingly.... Hellen Keller can do that !

Last edited:
That’s perfect! It’s only 9 min from my house in Stafford too. Would you happen to know a member that would like to sponsor someone for a membership?
Hate to break the news to you, but if you're moving to Stafford the only thing 9 minutes away is going to be wherever you are 9 minutes after leaving the house, which is about 4 miles unless its 5am, traffic here is no fun.

I would like to get a sponsor into there as well, currently on the wait list for a few other clubs but a closer place to practice would be great.