• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving to semis

long range sponge

Not quite OAF, more App-erator AF
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Springfield OH
Anyone unloaded their bolt guns and went strictly semiauto? I'm contemplating making that move and wonder what others reasoning was. I don't have a range over 600 within a 2 1/2 hour drive so I'm tempted to sell my few bolt rifles for another MWS. I could still use it for the occasional trip to Thunder Valley.

I know this is strictly subjective but the thought won't go away and am looking for some insight.

Given the current situation politicaly and socially i wouldnt get rid of anything or at least all of any one thing. I would also load up on semis as much as possible if you dont have any in case the protectionists in government get their way. i would also buy a boat of some kind in case it needs to be sunk.

Anyone unloaded their bolt guns and went strictly semiauto? I'm contemplating making that move and wonder what others reasoning was. I don't have a range over 600 within a 2 1/2 hour drive so I'm tempted to sell my few bolt rifles for another MWS. I could still use it for the occasional trip to Thunder Valley.

I know this is strictly subjective but the thought won't go away and am looking for some insight.

I only have one 1000+ yard bolt gun so its an easy decision for me to keep that one. But If I did have multiple bolt guns, I would keep one. Whatever is chambered in the most useable caliber that I have the most supplies for, reloading wise.

If I had multiple bolt guns, I'd personally keep something in the 6-6.5 caliber, and definitely would keep the custom action if I had multiple guns with some being factory and some being custom.

I'm a big fan of semi's, and its always what I've ran until about 18 months ago or so.

I've gotten rid of some of my random AR's and replaced them with what I'd call Niche AR's. I have a modern carbine, a precision/SPR style AR, I have a classic M16 A2/A4 style AR, and I'd like to add a repro M16A1 style, and/or possibly a CAR15/Classic M4 style AR. Maybe an SBR down the road idk.

I'm also a fan of the larger caliber semi's, but man they cost a pretty penny. Would love to get some in the AR10/SR25 world in 6.5cm but thats a whole other world I'd have to study up on more.

Theres nothing more interchangeable than the AR platform. If I didn't have anywhere long range to shoot like yourself, I'd invest more into the AR world and have fun within 600 yards. Selling a good bolt rifle could fund a 300blk SBR w/ suppressor. Then I'd have a few different AR's in the traditional .223/5.56, possibly throw in a .223AI chambering in a SPR style or heavy Varmint style gun. Then I'd prolly run something like a 6mmFatRat or that series, prolly a 6 Grendel honestly, or even a 22 grendel. So much different types of fun you can have with a gun that is 95% interchangeable.

Reactions: long range sponge
I've been shooting Semi's for long range precision exclusively for the past 10 years . I own several bolt actions but I just find them boring.

what platforms are you running for your larger calibers (bigger than .223), and what calibers are you running?

do you find there’s any difference between reloading for precision in semis?

i bought a precision gas gun before i joined the hide, so i missed out on all the advice to start with a bolt gun first.
no need to get rid of your bolt gun though...

what platforms are you running for your larger calibers (bigger than .223), and what calibers are you running?

do you find there’s any difference between reloading for precision in semis?

I have 16" and 20" in 223/5.56 for precision and few blasters with red dots from BCM and DD.

20" 6.5 Grendel (precision) and a have a 14.5 in the works.

22" 6.5 Creedmoor SP-10 from Seekins and a few others precision shorty .308's

I just got back from the range today finally finishing up my first round of Load Development.. I have a full write up and range report on the Seekins SP-10 coming soon, I'm just waiting for some more reloading components to come in.

But at this point I can tell you Hornady American Gunner and Hornady 140 ELD shoot about the same, and she's really liking 40.6 H4350 and 41.0 with 140 ELDs.

IMG_20200722_124853837.jpg

The only reason ( IMHO ) to not switch to S/A's.... they are money pits. ( Lol )

Parts are everywhere... darned near anything to fill any roll your mind can come up with... expensive Lego kits.

You can readily shoot through a couple 100 rounds in one outing.

I was just looking at the Mauser bolt actions on sale at Euro Optics.com and realized some of my muzzle device setups ( on some AR's of mine ) cost more then a CHF barreled Mauser Bolt action rifle.... so , please ignore my state of mind.

That said... I own numerous LR AR's .. and love them and the groups they can shoot greatly.

Well, if I were you I'd get an FN Mk20 in 7.62 and a KAC SR15 and a shitload of mags and go from there. Maybe a used Tavor for something compact but less expensive and more powerful than an 11.5" SBR. Worry about glass next year.

If you have a nice bolt gun, keep that.

Reactions: Texascbr
My bolt gun stable isn't vast. I've got a 6.5 RPR and a Bighorn Origin with 223, 224 Valk and 6.5 creed barrels. Haven't had the Origin out yet but I've recently been doing a lot with my MWS and MRP. LOVE them both!! I also have a M&P that I put a 20" BHW barrel on. It's run the SPR role recently and is as accurate as I can shoot. My Faxon 10.5" 300blk is my HD rifle. Listening to the wise sages here I may keep what I have and trudge along until I can scrounge up enough pennies for more toys.

A Mk20 will NOT be one of those toys. Nice. But hot damn are they expensive! Lol. Wish LMT would spin some 6mm ARC barrels for the MRP.

Bolt guns (mostly) for hunting. Gas guns (mostly...except my 6.5 Grendels, though in a pinch...) for HD duty.

Exactly.. if they can spin the narrative that 30 round mags are somehow foreign to guns, and AR's are "NEVER" used for hunting, and a damn muzzle device somehow makes a firearm more dangerous.

it’d be too easy for them to make “sniper” scopes look like heat seeking missiles

Bolt guns (mostly) for hunting. Gas guns (mostly...except my 6.5 Grendels, though in a pinch...) for HD duty.

anybody run 6.5G subsonic? Especially with the newer heavy 150gr class bullets? Basically a smaller 300blk

anybody run 6.5G subsonic? Especially with the newer heavy 150gr class bullets? Basically a smaller 300blk

Not heard of that but generally I’d rather run 220grs at 1100fps than 150grs or the more common 120grs at 1100fps. Capping your velocity that low already puts a big dent in energy figures; I’d hate to dig that hole deeper with 70-100 fewer grains of mass.

Reactions: TACC
Not heard of that but generally I’d rather run 220grs at 1100fps than 150grs or the more common 120grs at 1100fps. Capping your velocity that low already puts a big dent in energy figures; I’d hate to dig that hole deeper with 70-100 fewer grains of mass.

I mean, we trust and use 115-147gr bullets going 900-1200fps in our pistols, why not trust 156gr bullet going 1100fps?
I’m talking purely HD here, but even my 9mm pistol is accurate enough at 50-100yds. You can hit man sized targets with it, so it’d only be Easier with a rifle, or rifle sized pistol.

There are some things in life that never fall into the category of "One Size Fit's All"....... Foot wear, boats, dogs, vehicles, tools, tractors, knives, cookware.... the list is long. Weapons are no different. That list will change as a man ages, his income goes up or down, lifestyle changes. Any doubts or changes you are contemplating in your weapons collection need to be addressed today. We are going into a period of "uncertainty"... Good that you are taking opinions. Just don't get log jammed with opinions and do nothing.

Hobo

I’ll get another centerfire bolt some day. Currently do not have any. AR-15s are taking my resources now. Will most likely buy some type of .308 AR before the bolt, leaning towards PWS right now. Priorities have currently taken precedent over fun guns. To me, a precision rifle (bolt or otherwise) is just a fun gun, and I need to fill my priority slots before fun stuff.

So a bolt is not in the immediate future unless I hit the lottery.

I mean, we trust and use 115-147gr bullets going 900-1200fps in our pistols, why not trust 156gr bullet going 1100fps?
I’m talking purely HD here, but even my 9mm pistol is accurate enough at 50-100yds. You can hit man sized targets with it, so it’d only be Easier with a rifle, or rifle sized pistol.

Yes, you’re right that they basically mimic pistol ballistics, but then whether you want that depends on whether you “trust” your pistols for defense or “settle” for them. I only settle for pistols when I can’t have a rifle (CCW), so 6.5G subs don’t interest me much when I can get more energy out of 300blk subs or even better a supersonic rifle round.

Just my 2c, nothing inherently “wrong” with the Grendel in subsonic form. I love my Grendels for AR and lightweight bolt gun hunting, and I don’t have them in a home defense weapon. Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work though!

I don't because I have zero interest in getting involved in the NFA game, but guys over on the 65 Grendel forum have done & reported good results.

Yes, you’re right that they basically mimic pistol ballistics, but then whether you want that depends on whether you “trust” your pistols for defense or “settle” for them. I only settle for pistols when I can’t have a rifle (CCW), so 6.5G subs don’t interest me much when I can get more energy out of 300blk subs or even better a supersonic rifle round.

Just my 2c, nothing inherently “wrong” with the Grendel in subsonic form. I love my Grendels for AR and lightweight bolt gun hunting, and I don’t have them in a home defense weapon. Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work though!

Ya that makes a lot of sense and I understand what you're saying. I suppose the most important thing to increase your efficiency and reduce physical harm would be to have a suppressor on your HD gun whether its a pistol or a rifle, but especially if I'm lobbing supersonic rifle rounds down my hall way lol.

I don't because I have zero interest in getting involved in the NFA game, but guys over on the 65 Grendel forum have done & reported good results.

I think the hardest purchase was my first suppressor....after that does it even really matter? lol. ITs annoying, but now that I have 3 suppressors I can't imagine not having them for some applications.

I think the hardest purchase was my first suppressor....after that does it even really matter? lol. ITs annoying, but now that I have 3 suppressors I can't imagine not having them for some applications.

I'll be living in a different state by year's end. Maybe after the move.

I think there’s an argument to be made for everyone having at least one SBR stamped AR lower. An NFA stamped lower would arguably be harder to re-regulate since they are already categorized alongside MGs and silencers.

Wargaming here: A smart politician playing for the other team will eventually look at the history of the NFA & subsequent upheld legal challenges realize there is a roadmap for regulation/registration already there. I bet they could get enough votes to make a new NFA category for “assault weapons” and then jack up the tax to $2000 to account for post-1934 inflation; then wait a couple years for Hughes amendment 2.0 and *boom* no more ARs plus not a whole lot of transfers at $2000 per.

Exactly.. if they can spin the narrative that 30 round mags are somehow foreign to guns, and AR's are "NEVER" used for hunting, and a damn muzzle device somehow makes a firearm more dangerous.

it’d be too easy for them to make “sniper” scopes look like heat seeking missiles

Personally I have many semiautos and even though there are some semiautos I'd like to own and never got around to getting I've decided that I'm not buying anymore because I don't like the idea of spending money on things that there is no guarantee that I'll be able to keep. Banning of bolt guns isn't what's been seen in every country with stricter gun laws that the Libs are using as an example that they'd like to turn us into. They like to use countries like Australia as such an example and while there's more laws on all guns bolt actions aren't illegal. The reality of this situation regardless of whether it maybe too close to home for alot of people to objectively talk about without getting emotional is that the likelyhood that we will see a democratic majority in Congress and the White House in our lifetimes is almost certain and the very next time that happens we all know exactly what they've vowed to do to legislation of semiautos and to the 2nd amendment. They have Grandfathering written into their AWB right now but they also don't have a majority and if they had that majority I'm doubtful that Grandfathering anything the AWB refers to as so called "assault weapons" would be included in the legislation. I think the choices on what to do with semiautos will be bury them, fight with them, or turn them in which is why and I'll say it again you need both.

Pay closer attention...

Being an smartass to me for sake of it doesn't change the political environment that were all having to deal with. Do you have examples of how I'm not "paying attention"?

Bolt actions are not classified as assault weapons under the current proposed AWB but semiautos are.

If they ban semi autos that they call "assault rifles" then surely "sniper rifles" aka bolt action rifles will be next. I have read and heard gun banner types mention doing just that in the past. Their goal is a total ban of privately held firearms, as the founder of handgun control admitted in the 70s.

If they ban semi autos that they call "assault rifles" then surely "sniper rifles" aka bolt action rifles will be next. I have read and heard gun banner types mention doing just that in the past. Their goal is a total ban of privately held firearms, as the founder of handgun control admitted in the 70s.

Yeah they're some scrupulous bastards for sure but semi's aren't on the current AWB nor are they what Libs have vowed to ban nor have the Libs made any attack on bolt action rifle's yet they've attacked everything else from M855 green tip to 7N6, mag sizes, "assualt pistols", body armor, 80% recievers, bump stocks, pistol braces, suppressors, and probably 50 other things I'm forgetting but never not once have they actually attacked bolt action rifles.

Yeah they're some scrupulous bastards for sure but semi's aren't on the current AWB nor are they what Libs have vowed to ban nor have the Libs made any attack on bolt action rifle's yet they've attacked everything else from M855 green tip to 7N6, mag sizes, "assualt pistols", body armor, 80% recievers, bump stocks, pistol braces, suppressors, and probably 50 other things I'm forgetting but never not once have they actually attacked bolt action rifles.
Hillary is on record talking about banning “sniper rifles & scopes”. So, any long range target gun (bolt or semi) with a good scope is at risk.

OFG

I think there’s an argument to be made for everyone having at least one SBR stamped AR lower. An NFA stamped lower would arguably be harder to re-regulate since they are already categorized alongside MGs and silencers.

Wargaming here: A smart politician playing for the other team will eventually look at the history of the NFA & subsequent upheld legal challenges realize there is a roadmap for regulation/registration already there. I bet they could get enough votes to make a new NFA category for “assault weapons” and then jack up the tax to $2000 to account for post-1934 inflation; then wait a couple years for Hughes amendment 2.0 and *boom* no more ARs plus not a whole lot of transfers at $2000 per.

Without getting too political, they can pass whatever registration etc requirements they like. I will not comply with any new gun control laws. I suggest everyone else do the same. Let them try to enforce it & face the consequences thereof.

Without getting too political, they can pass whatever registration etc requirements they like. I will not comply with any new gun control laws. I suggest everyone else do the same. Let them try to enforce it & face the consequences thereof.

Understood, but correctly anticipating your opponents next move is never a bad thing. It's just a theory, but if I was playing for the other team that's what I'd do. Having a lower already stamped negates much of their perceived benefit in such a scenario....plus cool toys are cool.

Reactions: JS8588
I've been shooting Semi's for long range precision exclusively for the past 10 years . I own several bolt actions but I just find them boring.

I'm the opposite. Like my semis for close and mid range, but absolutely hate them for long range. I'm trying to get my zen on for long range work and with the semi I've got this bolt slamming around and the buffer assembly sproinging next to my ear and brass flying 3 feet... Guess I've gotten sensitive in old age. 😀

I'm the opposite. Like my semis for close and mid range, but absolutely hate them for long range. I'm trying to get my zen on for long range work and with the semi I've got this bolt slamming around and the buffer assembly sproinging next to my ear and brass flying 3 feet... Guess I've gotten sensitive in old age. 😀
I agree. Gassers are great for fast engagement inside say 600(this is why I never go longer than 20” barrel on any gas gun). But beyond that I’d take a bolt gun every time.

Reactions: stilesg57

Oh, were it not for my concern about the political environment, bolt actions (centerfire. I get absolutely no pleasure from shooting rimfire anything. It's soulless) are probably all I'd shoot. It is, as you put it, a very zen experience.

Man you guys scared of laws are a bunch of giners. Not only that you're actively admitting you're going to follow them? Our founding fathers would be laughing at you right now.

OP--I essentially did what you're contemplating. The only centerfire bolt guns I own are .303 Enfields. Because they're cool. I sent a couple AI's and a Tikka T1X down the road in the last couple years. I've transitioned my armory towards more of a "practical" tactical theme. Rifles that are far more practical if they need to be used against two legged critters.

My "long range" rig is now a 16" 7.62 LMT that I am comfortable with out to about 800yds. I'll eventually get a creed barrel for it since I have a ton of components laying around and it's obviously a superior LR cartridge. My SPR is a 16" LMT 5.56 and it's a blast to shoot. All of the others are LPVO/red dot carbine type rifles.

If you're always shooting within 600yds and aren't chasing bench rest accuracy then I say go for it. Do know that now is the absolute worst time to make the switch. You're going to lose your ass selling bolts-->buying autos.

Hillary is on record talking about banning “sniper rifles & scopes”. So, any long range target gun (bolt or semi) with a good scope is at risk.

OFG

I don't buy that because Hillary mentioned bolt guns that they carry the same risk as semiautos which are in actual proposed AWB legislation. I guess we can either agree to disagree or go around in circles here.

Man you guys scared of laws are a bunch of giners. Not only that you're actively admitting you're going to follow them? Our founding fathers would be laughing at you right now.

Actually I've been saying that you need both all along

Last edited:
Got rid of my last serious bolt gun this year. I keep a cheap 243 for walking and stalking groundhogs at my farm but that’s about it.
All semi auto. My farm is hilly and the furthest I can shoot is 600 yards and do most of my shooting under 300 standing. Lucky to still have 20/20 vision still so it allows me to use red dots are the majority of my optics, some lpvo and a few high powered mws for plinking at 600 with ease.
there is a risk to having all semi auto. If there is a ban then you are left with nothing or at least nothing that wasn’t in a boating accident.

I live in California, so I purchased the AR pattern rifles that I wanted before they enacted the registration law for evil features. I figured I'll get them while I still can, so I haven't made the plunge on a bolt action (other than my Savage .22LR) yet. I'll eventually pick up a Bergara HMR or Tikka for some long range shooting & future hunting, but I'm finding that my AR in 6.5 Grendel covers most of my "long" range needs better than I expected.

sucks to see all you on here, a gun forum talking about selling semi's to maybe comply with clearly illegal and immoral laws that may be passed

1. You should know by now, an inch is never enough. First bumpstocks, then AR pistols, ammo, semi's, all it takes is another DC sniper situation before they are after your untouchable bolt guns...they want whatever they can get and won't stop until its all gone.

2. You need to go reread #1 until you realize that's %100 fact.

3. The constitution clearly shows that the second was for protection against a tyrannical government like the one we just won our independence from? ..i don't know.... the British? People need to stop thinking in terms of losing ground and understand we have ground to make up. Silencers, sbrs, whatever else you can think of.

Reactions: hypno02 and JS8588
sucks to see all you on here, a gun forum talking about selling semi's to maybe comply with clearly illegal and immoral laws that may be passed

1. You should know by now, an inch is never enough. First bumpstocks, then AR pistols, ammo, semi's, all it takes is another DC sniper situation before they are after your untouchable bolt guns...they want whatever they can get and won't stop until its all gone.

2. You need to go reread #1 until you realize that's %100 fact.

3. The constitution clearly shows that the second was for protection against a tyrannical government like the one we just won our independence from? ..i don't know.... the British? People need to stop thinking in terms of losing ground and understand we have ground to make up. Silencers, sbrs, whatever else you can think of.

So are you saying you’ll go to the local gun range with a semi auto if they’re banned?

So are you saying you’ll go to the local gun range with a semi auto if they’re banned?

If November goes against us, gun manufacturers need to say "I will not comply" & promise to keep manufacturing AR15s, AKs, M14s, PTRs etc no matter what laws DC passes.

FFLs need to say "I will not comply" & commit to continuing to sell the same.

US Magazine manufacturers need to say "I will not comply" & continue making standard capacity mags no matter what.

We the people need to say "I will not comply" & keep using, buying, and building tools to protect our Constitutionally protected rights regardless of what unconstitutional laws the Democratic Socialists pass or attempt to pass.

If they then try to enforce those new laws, we all collectively pledge, in defense of Liberty, our lives, fortunes, & sacred honor...

If November goes against us, gun manufacturers need to say "I will not comply" & promise to keep manufacturing AR15s, AKs, M14s, PTRs etc no matter what laws DC passes.

FFLs need to say "I will not comply" & commit to continuing to sell the same.

US Magazine manufacturers need to say "I will not comply" & continue making standard capacity mags no matter what.

We the people need to say "I will not comply" & keep using, buying, and building tools to protect our Constitutionally protected rights regardless of what unconstitutional laws the Democratic Socialists pass or attempt to pass.

If they then try to enforce those new laws, we all collectively pledge, in defense of Liberty, our lives, fortunes, & sacred honor...
Yeah like that’s gonna happen.

Anyone unloaded their bolt guns and went strictly semiauto?
I actually think it should work the other way. I used to be "Mostly Semi's" and a few "Bolt Guns", but with the coming storm of AR "issues" on the political horizon, I've been doing two things:
  1. Fully document the procurement date of all AR's and Semi-Auto rifles and pistols (for possible ownership grandfather clauses in new laws)
  2. Re-balance to about 50-50 between semi's and bolts
Proving when I bought my semi-auto's, and having bolt action options ... seems like an important strategy in these crazy times.