• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving to Texas - good spots for 1-2 miles?

CEO10KaDAY

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
Denver
Howdy Y'all!

I become a Texan on Saturday, yeehaw.

Moving to a suburb of Dallas called Rowlett - but don't know anything about good spots where I'll have access to 2 miles? Can anyone here chime in?

Thank you.

Howdy Y'all!

I become a Texan on Saturday, yeehaw.

Moving to a suburb of Dallas called Rowlett - but don't know anything about good spots where I'll have access to 2 miles? Can anyone here chime in?
No place for 2 miles within a several hour drive. That said you can get to 1375 yds at ETTS if you are a member and do the qualifications. I have been a member ther for several years and have to say the range and especially the staff are excellent. No Fudd's and the related ideas there.

https://www.ettsgunrange.com/

No place for 2 miles within a several hour drive. That said you can get to 1375 yds at ETTS if you are a member and do the qualifications. I have been a member ther for several years and have to say the range and especially the staff are excellent. No Fudd's and the related ideas there.

https://www.ettsgunrange.com/

Hmm, 1375 is about half of what I like to shoot. Am I better off paying a rancher for private use? Not sure where to start here. I wasn’t thinking this would even be an issue.

I’m giving up my range here in CO which is 45 minutes away from having 2 miles no problem.

By several hour drive did you mean two hours? I’m seeing nothing but open land to the northeast

By several hour drive did you mean two hours? I’m seeing nothing but open land to the northeast
Only place I know thats set up for 2 miles is Hawks Double Mtn out in Rotan so more like 4 hours or so.

Eta- what caliber are you shooting another issue around the meteoplex is that because of population denisity most ranges have caliber restrictions.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
Only place I know thats set up for 2 miles is Hawks Double Mtn out in Rotan so more like 4 hours or so.

Eta- what caliber are you shooting another issue around the meteoplex is that because of population denisity most ranges have caliber restrictions.

My current ELR is 338 lm and I’m building 6 dasher right now.

I have all my own gongs for long range - is there state land available for free where I can get this sort of range by setting up myself? I have a pretty serious rig too, even the side by side to carry my out of shape ass a mile and half down range multiple times

Regrettably not to my knowledge unlike AZ etc... I am a native and do not know of any personally.

My experience after having lived in Texas 2 different time periods and 3 different locations is that there is really zero public land that is available for hunting or fishing. What very few acres there are for either are inundated with the populous. It may very well be the second largest state by area but it is also way up there on the population scale. I would drive literally miles on private ranch property for oilfield work and pass many real nice big ponds but in order to fish, I would have to pay the ranch a fee. Even more $$$ if I wanted to hunt and that was if I didn't have to get on a waiting list.
Once you get moved in, you will necessarily have to start the search for large acreage holders that MIGHT allow you to shoot targets, for a reasonable fee of course.

EDIT to say that I have never felt less free as an American than when I lived in Texas. To be fair, I have never lived in Hawaii, Illinois or...
I grew up in Idaho and Alaska. My view is different than most other folks.

Damn. It’s a little too late for me to back out too. Dammit.

$800 a year for a range fee is fucking absurd though if you ask me.
Especially when you are accustomed to thousands of square miles of public land with distance beyond the capabilities of anything other than crew served weapons and forward observers.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
I live in the next town over. NETT is about 30 mins from you. They go out to a mile.

I also believe Mount Pleasant is getting setup for Ko2M matches.

PM me.

White Oak Creek has ELR matches.

I think a poster here called it Mt Pleasant.

Here is their Practiscore Page.

There is a PRS match this weekend.

If you are looking for a place to shoot the 6mm, I'd check out Fossil Pointe just N of Denton and West of Sanger near Slidell. They have PRS matches monthly and once qualified, you can shoot the long range and off the props.

There is also B Tactical east on I30 near the Caddo Mills exit that has ranges out to 400 I believe. They are PRS shooter friendly. But no matches. Some props though.

Finally Find "TXPRC North Members" on Facebook and join.

Yeah Texas absolutely sucks for just "finding a spot to set up and shoot". Public lands are essentially non-existent. I was down by San Antonio and the 1000y + locations were all on private lands, had outrageous range fees, and the whole "you have to start at the 100y range" qualifications type shit.

I wish you luck with those shooting clubs and hopefully you get in with a good crew.

IMG_5849.jpeg

Yeah Texas absolutely sucks for just "finding a spot to set up and shoot". Public lands are essentially non-existent. I was down by San Antonio and the 1000y + locations were all on private lands, had outrageous range fees, and the whole "you have to start at the 100y range" qualifications type shit.

I wish you luck with those shooting clubs and hopefully you get in with a good crew.

I have had zero issues getting qualified at several ranges in Texas or elsewhere. I stated my background and qualifications, offered to pay for the staff members' time, and showed up prepared to follow their directions.

As you said, most land in TX is private land. Most ranges are not multiple sections of land, but a hundred acres or less and they have to account for every round. They are surrounded by other landowners, many with kids and livestock.

Its in the owner's best interest and a respect for others - to make sure they don't get sued or setup a neighbor to get hurt be letting just any Fudd in to shoot.

Good ranges are hard to find. Much harder is a range with lots of targets and props - where we are treated as adults. And I don't have to pay for the upkeep, steel, paint targets, or add props. Or the shitter. I just show up and shoot.

I don't have a problem with the vetting process. I am glad it is there. And I am grateful for the landowners who let us onto their property to shoot. I thank them often for the privilege.

Reactions: ACard
Hmm, 1375 is about half of what I like to shoot. Am I better off paying a rancher for private use? Not sure where to start here. I wasn’t thinking this would even be an issue.

I’m giving up my range here in CO which is 45 minutes away from having 2 miles no problem.
What range on Colorado?

Reactions: secondofangle2
in DFW we have 3 ranges for ELR shooting.
For ELR as in 1500 yds plus? Please share that info. Besides Northeast which has a mile and is only open weekends and the castle which is not really in DFW I do not know so would love to find out.