• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving via Container/CONEX Box feedback wanted

UNCIVILIZED

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2004
Southwest, MI
Gents,
I may be doing a move, & was wondering if anyone has done so with a company which drops off a CONEX box at your door, & lets you pack it at your liesure. And then picks it up, & delivers it to where you specify on a given date.
I'd surely appreciate as much info & feedback as possible in terms of this manner of moving. Pros & Cons, good & bad companies, etc.

Thanks

I haven't done it personally, but it's pretty popular here in WA, particularly Seattle. I think the companies tell you whatever you need to know to pack 'em right, but I'd do it well since you won't be driving it. I prefer a big Uhaul myself (the bigger the better, just easier to pack) with the long ramp and a gold cart I own (the kind of cart they use in vaults to move gold bricks --they switch from a dolly to a push cart in an instant).

I think the real advantage is there is less rush.

I HATE moving --it's easily in my top 5 worst things to have to do (well, as a civilian!). I guess it's because I've had to move so much in the past. My preferred way of moving is to box up all the little shit, invite friends over, BBQ a killer meal and buy good beer, and then I mostly direct them doing the work. I don't know what it is about moving, but everytime I do it, I get apoplectic I hate it so much.

Good luck with your move.

I used PODS.com to move some furniture, etc from FL to CA. The unit I had was about 6' wide x 4' deep. It worked great. I did get third party insurance to cover all contents for damage/replacement value, and did a photo inventory/spreadsheet. I packed everything presuming they would drop it a few times, so, do take care to cushion/secure everything. If you've done international moves, you know what I mean. The Pod rides on a semi bed, which is not sprung for comfort. Cross country, everything gets continuously bounced for a very long time. You could fill one with brass and walnut shells and have some perfect cases on the other end.

The pods are tall, so you have to establish/stack your loads so that things don't get crushed while they get bounced. I installed a rope webbing and wood 'shelf' for the upper 2/3 of the pod, and it worked fine for the less fragile stuff. Pod does not endorse installation of shelving or webbing, so, keep that in mind.

Their delivery/pick up forklift may damage the paving surface where it is placed/picked up. Some condos/apts don't allow them for this reason, so check that out if it applies. You can put down plywood if it really needs to be protected.

Consider arranging for pick-up on the same day you pack. You may not want your stuff sitting on the street all night.

Good luck!

Joe

We have used ABF's U-Pack service several times, where they dump off a short semi trailer and you pack it up your self and pay by the amount of footage you use in it. They haul it to where you need it and leave it for a few more days while you un-pack it. Works well just need lots of moving blankets, towels, old blankets, ratchet straps and clothes line rope to tie it off and hold it all in place and keep it all from rubbing too much.

Seems to have worked well for us for about 5k for 2000+ mile moves