• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mp5 failure question.

nightwolf0215

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Southern California
I have an early Coharie mp5 clonethat has random failture to extract. What happen is that the spent casing some how got out of chamber but never flew out of the gun, got stuck in inside the gun and the bolt jam on it. Does any know how to fix this problem besides buying a whole new German parts kit and replace the internals?

Its a Coharie...if you expected HK reliability...you have to pay for it. ;) All joking aside...some Coharies have been notorious for suffering reliability issues and ammo sensitivity. Start with your ammo and make sure it is on the "approved" list within the manual/product lit. If not...swap it out and go that route. Also, what mags are you running (HK OEM or cheap Korean/KCI garbage)? If not HK...there is another good place to start. Otherwise...you can move on to parts replacement.

A simple extractor and extractor spring-swap with OEM HK parts may work and it may not...also, a swap of your current hammer spring for an OEM HK 9mm spring may also prove helpful. Often times, the Coharie folks used parts from other platforms (like HK91/G3 hammer springs) which are considerably stiffer/stronger than the 9mm springs and cause the system to hang up/retard which can cause extraction issues also.

Extractor spring. I was the armorer for a unit that had quite a few MP5's. About half of them had jacked up extractors/springs (mostly worn/broken springs) and replacing them restored functionality to 100%.

Push the extractor outboard with your thumb or finger. If it moves easily (really, it should be a bear to move at all) the spring is weak. Also ensure that the extractor holds onto the rim of a case when the extractor is pushed all the way inboard. If it doesn't have a good grip, replace the extractor.

Ord & Ledzep are correct, Start with the extractor spring and extractor. It is a good idea to change the hammer spring, the 308 spring that some have will slow down the bolt to where it will not have enough force to throw the case clear. If these don't work try upgrading to the 100 degree locking piece, this is the new HK spec. And absolutely if possible use HK mags.

Thank you so much guys. That makes a lot of sense. I get a surpsing amount of good answer here compared with other boards. Hide's my favorite go to place now. I will get a new extractor spring from HK parts and try it out asap. If I like it enough, I might as well throw in a whole german internals to make it run smooth haha. :D

I have seen German full auto MP5's that were plagued by the same problem..

Thank you so much guys. That makes a lot of sense. I get a surpsing amount of good answer here compared with other boards. Hide's my favorite go to place now. I will get a new extractor spring from HK parts and try it out asap. If I like it enough, I might as well throw in a whole german internals to make it run smooth haha. :D

I wouldn't go overboard replacing parts unless there is a problem/malfunction that needs addressing. A brand new, latest gen extractor, extractor spring and 9mm Hammer spring for the MP5/HK94/SP89 will run you no more than $50-55 + S&H...a complete parts kit for an MP5 will be much, MUCH more by a factor of 15-20x that amount! No need to fix it if it ain't broke (unless you wanna be broke). ;)

Also if your MP5 is a K version ie pistol with out a stock, it is very easy to limp wrist these which will also cause the bolt to not cycle fast enough.

I have an mke mp5k clone. That one runs like a champ. Its the coharie that likes to tease me. :D

Im about to get a Turners Fabrication MP5 pistol done, anyone has a word or two about it? I talked to Mike and he seems like a great guy. Bought a sig. 552 from his friend and they seem very dedicated.