• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses MPA Academy INTRO TO LONG RANGE in central PA

ballison

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Designed for students who are entering the world of long range rifle marksmanship. The intro course will build solid shooting fundamentals and provide data that the shooter will be able to take anywhere and successfully engage targets at distance. Additionally, the intro course is designed so that the shooter will be able to trouble shoot problems with the rifle, scope or ammunition. Focus will be on fundamentals of building a strong shooting position, understanding and utilization of windage and elevation adjustments on your optic, and reading atmospheric conditions such as mirage and wind. This will be a 2-day course.

The lead instructor for this course in Ryan Castle. Ryan has spent several years as an instructor at Altus Shooting Solutions (previously CORE) and as the Director of the Precision Rifle Series.

Where: Mifflin County Sportsmen’s Club, Lewistown, Pa

When: Apr 18-19, 2019

Cost: $500 + $20/night optional for on-site lodging

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-academy-pa-intro-to-long-range-class/

Includes:
  • 2 Days of classroom and range Instruction (14-16 hours of total instruction)
  • Lunch will be provided both days
  • Some Cool MPA Swag
Customer Should Bring:
  • A complete rifle with optic that will hold 1 MOA or better accuracy
  • The optic must have elevation and windage adjustments – preferable via externally marked turrets.
  • Ammunition – 200 Rounds Max
  • Front bipod and rear bag

I attended the MPA class this past weekend, (April 18 & 19), so for anyone else looking at training options, this MPA sponsored course is a winner. I’ll note that I have no connections, affiliations or past experience with MPA. As this class was held in eastern US, (Mifflin County Sportsman Club), and was a welcome addition for us New Jersey, Pennsylvania folks to get training within a reasonable driving distance.

The lead instructor was Ryan Castle who I knew of by reputation and if anyone has an opportunity to take one of his classes, you will be rewarded with a lively, knowledgeable and always attentive instructor. I would be remiss not to add that as valuable as Ryan’s instruction, was the benefit of having @ballison and Ken as assistants. Both of these gents were patient and always available for answering questions and giving guidance. As they are both active in the PRS world, those of us at the course had the benefit of advise from guys with lots of experience shooting matches and they knew their marksmanship fundamentals.

So..... the first half-day of the course was classroom instruction. This provided a good overview of setting up your firing position, making the rifle fit the shooter and scope setup basics. And, as you might expect, laying down the law on range safety.

What I have never seen before at a training course were kestrel 5700’s handed out to each student. A part of the morning class was spent with each student setting up their rifle in the kestrel in advance of active range time. A major element of the training was to get students familiar with the effects of environmental conditions and dialing the dope for their rifle / bullet combinations. Really interesting was that 6.5 CM was a popular cartridge but shooters also had 6 BR’s and a couple of .308’s. There was also some comic relief when wild turkeys strolled through the course.

Following the morning class time and lunch to recharge, the afternoon began with confirming zeros and checking equipment. Each shooter had either Ryan or Bill / Ken spotting for zero confirmation and advising, prompting, coaching for proper position and marksmanship fundamentals. From there, we progressed quickly to writing down data, confirming drops with the kestrel meters and stepping out to longer range.

The start of day two began at the range with an overview of what day one was all about along with some good discussion of what shooters experienced with doping their rifles and addressing any questions / concerns about the prior days shooting. Then, we proceeded with additional exercises involving multiple target engagements and practice with doping your range and accounting for wind.

Don’t hesitate to take this course if you get a chance.