• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk MPA BA PMR competition rifle. under $2500

TeamPOI

Point of Impact
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2018
www.teampoi.com
The new threshold for the 2020 season is $2500. MPA has their BA PMR Pro ready to go! A lot of comp features and still staying under the price limit for the production class.
MPABAPro.jpg

This seems like an amazing deal! I have an older MPA with the axiom action and it runs great. I hope QC stays high with these. Mine shoots sub 3/8 if I do my part.

Reactions: TeamPOI
That is what the pmr should have been. I have last years model and the barrel is too heavy and the hybrid chassis is too light. Very front heavy. Now this one has fixed that and also includes all the accessories such as bag rider, brake, evg , and spigot.

Its cool the original intent of production class is being maintained....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Its cool the original intent of production class is being maintained....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
401K contributions are up 500 bucks, why not PRS Production /s

401K contributions are up 500 bucks, why not PRS Production /s

Because this rifle is a full custom rifle with a production label. Its not coincidence the limit in production (which was already too high in my opinion for the intent of the class) was increased and Bergara just happened to come out with a new rifle right at the limit. Behind the scenes talks were had.

This wouldnt all be so bad if the cost of entry was acually in a price range new shooters wouldnt be intimidated by. But... thhis isn't about new shooters anymore its about giving trophies to other buddies who can't cut it in open or tactical. It took one year for their retoric to change from saying this class was meant to have a low cost of entry for those hesitant to try the sport, get hooked and then truely invest in the sport and serious shooting overall. This year i made a comment about the increase and was told oh that was never the intention of the class to attract new shooters and never told the new purpose...but its clear as day to anyone with a brain...favors and bitching won out and is catered to certain people.

If this was truely about production rifles why have a limit...AI, Sako, Barrett, etc are more production worthy than bergara due to the numbers produced.

This is not a knock on bergara. They make good stuff but these rules are starting to mirror those of 'Whos Line Is It Anyway'.

Ill quit my rant here but theres quite a bit more for this and other arbitrary rules.

Because this rifle is a full custom rifle with a production label. Its not coincidence the limit in production (which was already too high in my opinion for the intent of the class) was increased and Bergara just happened to come out with a new rifle right at the limit. Behind the scenes talks were had.
Fake News, the real reason is now the DD Delta 5 fits into production class.

In my opinion the production class cost limit is far more impacting on the scope. I run a PMR which is realistically a custom rifle but I certainly wouldn't mind running a higher end optic.

The Athlon Cronus BTR I believe falls In that category. It’s not a Kahles but it seems pretty decent.

its cool that MPA makes a rifle like this to push the limits and give people the best rifle they can get for this class, but that being said the cost "limit" of "production" is way out of whack. That fact this rifle even exists proves the class has nothing to do with factory off the shelf rifles.

beautiful rifle, though.

its cool that MPA makes a rifle like this to push the limits and give people the best rifle they can get for this class, but that being said the cost "limit" of "production" is way out of whack. That fact this rifle even exists proves the class has nothing to do with factory off the shelf rifles.

beautiful rifle, though.

Hell I run a pmr and i don't disagree at all.

Reactions: Crabcore
Anyone know the overall length of these rifles?
looking to get a case for it and wanna make sure its long enough for that bad boy!
Couldnt find overall dimensions on the MPA site.

That‘s nice looking rifle.

I still don’t like the dollar value concept for the PRS production class. It would make more sense to me more sense to set a weight limit and limit allowed cartridges to be those available in commercially loaded match ammo (not limiting it factory ammo in competition)

Reactions: Eric_F
MPA didn't install my folding stock, in the course of installing it myself, I lost the set screw for the detent ball and spring for the LOP adjustment knob, does anyone know if I can source it at say, a hardware store?

Would you guys still think the MPA PMR is a good choice if you are not intending to stay in production. I'm a new guy and been reading through all of the post here and from what I've read it doesn't matter to stay in production. I've also looked at custom rifles and it looks like there is not a huge price difference to build a custom vs buy a MPA BA PMR pro. the argument gets even more complicated when you look at the postings on the here and see you could potential buy a chassis used for 3/4 of the manufactures price or if you really sale hunt.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I think the arguments get muddled about the MPA BA PMR Pro vs custom when you say that trying to stay in production class dose not make a difference, especially if you are new and you plan on buying a MPA BA PMR pro to start.

Would you guys still think the MPA PMR is a good choice if you are not intending to stay in production. I'm a new guy and been reading through all of the post here and from what I've read it doesn't matter to stay in production. I've also looked at custom rifles and it looks like there is not a huge price difference to build a custom vs buy a MPA BA PMR pro. the argument gets even more complicated when you look at the postings on the here and see you could potential buy a chassis used for 3/4 of the manufactures price or if you really sale hunt.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I think the arguments get muddled about the MPA BA PMR Pro vs custom when you say that trying to stay in production class dose not make a difference, especially if you are new and you plan on buying a MPA BA PMR pro to start.

And this here is the problem. There should be a considerable price difference for a production class gun and a custom. You all say what you want but this BS is nothing more than participation trophies for some buddies and lining the pockets of friends. Not for the new shooter.

With todays options of decent optics and actual factory rifles the entry fee into production should be half of what it is now.

To answer your question Jrowlands...buy a production if you want to compete against guys who can't hack it in open and just want a trophy in a field of a handful of shooters. Otherwise buy/build a open or tac rifle to your liking. Id be building a rifle that fits me for the money you are going to shell out either way.

I shoot the rimfire prs now in the open class and I'm not the best shooter there by far but I did start out in the top ten, figured training and I would get better. I ended up in open class because I already had a gun an optic that placed me there. For getting into centerfire I get to make the choice and found the only limiting factor being what glass you could use. The Athlon scopes fit within that range and I've had good experience with Athlon scopes so far. I want to use the Vortex Razor HD Gen II so that when I get it built I can shoot it for a few year and maybe for many year competing without feeling outclassed by gear.

They have a few retailers listed on their websight. Also places like gear fire sell them in 6mm creedmore I believe.

Reactions: CageFighter
does any1 stock these rifles? I cant stomach the current build time, as I am impatient.
xtremegunsandammo.com is one of MPA's bigger dealers, would be worth checking with them.
Also, several are currently listed on gunbroker

Lots of issues here. One idea is production as manufactured. Barrel length limit and weight limit. Let it cost what it costs. Then, everyone will start complaining about the cost.

so, I thought, heck, base this on what appears to be the first “production” Precision Rifle, the RPR. Whatever price Ruger charges is the limit of production. But then how is Ruger going to be regulated to keep the price the same. So, fix each years production rifle prices as the price Ruger is charging for the RPR that year. Soon, everyone will be grousing. (At Ruger who is basically the innocent party in this matter)

I do like the idea of production, being something you can purchase off of a rifle rack at your favorite local sporting goods/gun shop.

(All this said, I have an MPA BA Pro on order).