• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mpa curtis axiom with wto switch lug

Jjames06

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2020
North Carolina
Anyone had any experience with them? A local shop is a mpa dealer. I can get a decent deal on them. I really want a switch barrel action. Looking at the seekens hit. It seems like the best deal. Then the axiom with a wto switch lug. The most expensive would be the zuse qc. Im not shooting prs just plinking. My local range goes from 100 yards to mile. It would be nice to shoot closer distance with a 223 or 6mm and if its a nice day and i want to shoot the mile with a 6.5 prc i can do so without having to break out a vise and all that. I appreciate any response.

If you want to change between 3 different bolt faces I'd go with something that has interchangeable bolt heads like the Origin, TL3, or HIT. WTO Switch lug will go right on an Origin and can be added to a TL3. HIT doesn't have a .223 bolt head available yet that I know of is the only downside there. The Curtis is a fine action but you'd have to buy complete bolts a higher cost than bolt heads.

The guy who invented all the Curtis shit went to start terminus. There are much better options out there than curtis actions.

Switch barrel is gimmick shit anyway. It takes 3 minutes to swap a shouldered Prefit.

The guy who invented all the Curtis shit went to start terminus. There are much better options out there than curtis actions.

Switch barrel is gimmick shit anyway. It takes 3 minutes to swap a shouldered

Switch barrel is gimmick shit anyway. It takes 3 minutes to swap a shouldered Prefit.
In order for me to swap barrels without a qc method i would have to take the action out of the chassis and use a barrel vise correct? You have to forgive my ignorance i have only ever bought factory rifles.

I am in the same process as you, HIT Pro vs. MPA Matrix Pro with a WTO Switch Lug action. I like the MPA chassis, but the HIT is sounds like a high value/great shooter. Downside is the HIT is in its own world. The simplicity of the SL just makes sense, I want to run a 6mm CM and a 223 Wylde for practice and short range matches. Trying to build one solid rifle/chassis/scope assembly but have two options.

I appreciate the input of those here, thank you for the comments.

I just got my MPA barreled action a few days ago and haven’t done anything with it yet except look at it.

IMO it’s a fantastic value packed setup.
The Curtis Axiom bolt is a 3 lug design with a 60 degree bolt lift. That keeps your fingers away from the ocular housing of the scope. It also has rollers which make the bolt lift smooth and effortless.

As to the commenter saying WTO is a gimmick I beg to differ. Why F with a barrel vise and an action rod and a torque wrench? How about just using a T-25 bit to loosen the lug and simply unscrew the barrel? How is that a worse setup than 80-90 ft pounds of torqued and untorqued?

Now as to value let's break that down a little.
In my research these are the numbers I got from manufacturers' websites.
Axion action- $1150
WTO switch lug $235 installed
MPA prefit barrel $600 and I chose length, profile, barrel threads and finish.
TriggerTech Special flat trigger preset @ 1.2 pond pull $200.

That totals $2185.
Phil at MPA put this all together for me at
$1675! I ordered it on August 30 and it shipped on Oct 6 or about 5 weeks.

So I strongly advise heading over to MPA and going to the barreled action section, email them about adding the switch lug and getting on with it.

Additional barrels run $600. Just order, get it and screw it onto your action.

Now all that being said if you also need the chassis then you can order the entire kit and caboodle for $2500. That's a steal.

I just got my MPA barreled action a few days ago and haven’t done anything with it yet except look at it.

IMO it’s a fantastic value packed setup.
The Curtis Axiom bolt is a 3 lug design with a 60 degree bolt lift. That keeps your fingers away from the ocular housing of the scope. It also has rollers which make the bolt lift smooth and effortless.

As to the commenter saying WTO is a gimmick I beg to differ. Why F with a barrel vise and an action rod and a torque wrench? How about just using a T-25 bit to loosen the lug and simply unscrew the barrel? How is that a worse setup than 80-90 ft pounds of torqued and untorqued?

Now as to value let's break that down a little.
In my research these are the numbers I got from manufacturers' websites.
Axion action- $1150
WTO switch lug $235 installed
MPA prefit barrel $600 and I chose length, profile, barrel threads and finish.
TriggerTech Special flat trigger preset @ 1.2 pond pull $200.

That totals $2185.
Phil at MPA put this all together for me at
$1675! I ordered it on August 30 and it shipped on Oct 6 or about 5 weeks.

So I strongly advise heading over to MPA and going to the barreled action section, email them about adding the switch lug and getting on with it.

Additional barrels run $600. Just order, get it and screw it onto your action.

Now all that being said if you also need the chassis then you can order the entire kit and caboodle for $2500. That's a steal.

This guy gets it!

Reactions: Jeff1208
I had honeydos all day today and knowing the new hardware was just sitting in the safe was killin’ me. I’m putting it all together tomorrow and I’ll post a few pics.

MPA Curtis Axiom, WTO SL, TriggerTech Special trigger, MPA 223 Wylde SS 22” .880 with 1-7” twist, MDT rings, Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 FFP and parking it in a KRG Bravo chassis, Atlas bipod and an Arca rail to attach a 2Vets ball head and CF tripod.

It’s like waiting for Christmas morning except for big kids!

Clayton at WTO is doing a switch lug for me on an impact 787, 7-300NMI and 300NM. Doesn’t get any easier than a switch lug.

Reactions: Railguner
Precision built actions make prefit barrels possible. No more need for a gunsmith to square an action, chamber, thread, index and headspace a barrel and hope he did it all correctly. Just order your barrel and screw it on, check your go- no go headspace gages and you’re all set. Now Switch lugs make barrel vises, action wrenches, torque wrenches and headspace gages obsolete.

When I decided to build a rifle I spent months researching and what I came up with was this. It costs more in time, money and effort to build a gun the old way using a gunsmith. The only thing I wouldn’t do was attach the lug to the action. Everything else I could have ordered piece by piece and assembled it all in my garage. That’s unheard of till recently. The fact that MPA would do it for me at a 23% cost savings was a bonus.

Now I have a modular system. Rem 700 footprint making aftermarket components easy to find. The 700 is to gun building what the small block Chevy engine was to car guys.

So this build I just got is for range practice. I have a CF Mesa hunting stock, bottom metal and multiple hunting scopes I can swap out to switch over from a heavier precision rig to a lighter hunting rig. Once the wallet recuperates I’ll order a 243 #3 barrel from MPA. Since they have the specs on the action they can just spin it up and send it to me.

So I will be able to swap stocks, barrels and scopes and have completely different setups for different uses.

When you figure in even buying multiple factory rifles it’s not a lot more to go the precision build with the advantage of knowing your gun is going to shoot bug holes.

I just watched a Backfire video on youtube yesterday. $2500 Christianson Arms Chassis rifle that couldn’t shoot better than 1.25” groups! An MPA gun all set up and at the same price point comes with a .50 accuracy guarantee.

So I no longer see the point of factory guns unless you’re happy with shotgun pattern accuracy.

Reactions: PLS652
I hope to get pics of the MPA build posted tomorrow. I just got everything assembled tonight. 15.7 lbs ready for the range.

KRG chassis, Atlas bipod, EC Tuner break, MDT rings and Nightforce NX8 4-32x 50 FFP with illumination. I bought the scope online going off specs and reputation. I have to say I’m underwhelmed with the turrets. Mushy, hardly audible and they don’t lock. I have a $330 Swampfox 1-6x24 that has better.

You will love it. I have the same setup with 6.5 CM, 6BR , and 223. Spinning on a different barrel at the range is awesome. Be sure to save your scope offsets between calibers. I find it is super repeatable within 1/10 each time I take a barrel off and put it back on.

Yeah I’ve got the 223 Wylde now, debating whether I want a 243 or a 6 ARC, I have a Sig Cross in 6.5 so maybe a 7 Saum.

Now if all this tech isn’t amazing enough Curtis just today dropped a .22 LR bolt, conversion kit and medium Lapua barrel with tuner for $1300! Drops right into your action, do the barrel swap and start shooting.

Reactions: SweaterDood
Yeah I’ve got the 223 Wylde now, debating whether I want a 243 or a 6 ARC, I have a Sig Cross in 6.5 so maybe a 7 Saum.

Now if all this tech isn’t amazing enough Curtis just today dropped a .22 LR bolt, conversion kit and medium Lapua barrel with tuner for $1300! Drops right into your action, do the barrel swap and start shooting.

I recently chose to ditch the car and go 100% motorcycle. This means that my rifle needs have changed to have something that is packable and able to be reassembled at the range. I shoot local CF and .22lr matches. So with something like the Axiom that can be converted to .22lr and the switchlug… 2 barrels, 2 bolts, folding chassis, ammo and muffs in the saddlebags and I’m GTG. If the .22lr bolt fits the Vector with the QC feature… even easier. Will probably give Phil at MPA a call this afternoon.

I have an Axiom with the switch lug, I did it not for switching between caliber’s but when I shoot the barrel out. I can call Clayton and have a barrel spun up and when I need to switch it out I can in a couple of minutes.

Maybe someone can break this down barney style for me. When you use a switchlug on something like an Origin that has prefits available, you now have to go back to having a smith cut barrels for you, right? Or do some places have the option to make switchlug compatible prefits? In a perfect world, the Terminus Zeus would have swappable bolt heads and the quick change feature but that doesn't exist.

Reactions: Railguner
Maybe someone can break this down barney style for me. When you use a switchlug on something like an Origin that has prefits available, you now have to go back to having a smith cut barrels for you, right? Or do some places have the option to make switchlug compatible prefits? In a perfect world, the Terminus Zeus would have swappable bolt heads and the quick change feature but that doesn't exist.
The switchlug adds a feature to the tenon cut on the barrel. It is the cylindrical portion where the switchlug clamps onto the barrel.

In short, you can order prefits from WTO directly that have the action/switchlug tenon precut. You would have to ask the usual suspects for prefit options as to whether or not they can/will add the switchlug feature to a prefit.

I will be adding the feature to 3 existing barrels with my local smith, and have another blank in the queue now. Once my smith has my tenon profile in his system, I only take the action in, when picking it up. He does a test fit and fire, and I like that I can check it with him before paying for the work. Never had an issue, but he will make it right if there ever is.

This system is not for everyone. The benefit is in having the ability to field-swap barrels with a T25 drive, without a barrel vise. Like I said earlier, I have 100% committed to moto-life so transporting my rigs has necessitated this requirement.

Aside from this need, 5 min with a $75 Viper vise, a $7 bicycle inner tube (barrel-vise grip enhancer) and a $100 action wrench gets the job done with ease, and allows for a call to your favorite prefit dealer for a new long range drill bit stabilizer tube. I swap barrels often (.308, 25x47L, .223, .257 QPC, & .300WSM) and between 2 actions (matched by my smith). Most people will not actually realize a QC feature, they just don’t use it.