• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA ESR or BA Comp

Have you looked at and compared the two to the Matrix pro? If not you may want to.

Pretty good deal on a Matrix Pro in the PX https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mpa-matrix-pro-new-trade-for-manners-prs-tcs.7197344/
I know the Matrix pro is the top of the line. I just don’t like the way it looks lol. That is a heck of a deal though
Well, I shot both, and frankly can’t tell the difference. Everything about the ESR says it should be better. But, shooting both with MTU barrels, in 6GT, recoil control, balance, ascetics, pretty much the same. the one preference I have is the bag rider on the ESR. Gonna see if I can upgrade the BA to that bag rider.

View attachment 8305973

View attachment 8305974
Thanks for the input. Especially having shot both of them. Appreciate it!

@Gquire

I did not like the way it looked either but took a chance and really like it now I have one.

The forend is stiff there is zero twist/flex, the thumb rest, grip and trigger finger rest options are nice as well as the adjustable bag rider….I am still on the fence with the look but absolutely love the chassis and happy I tried it.

LOLOLOL @ obselete. There were plenty two day wins this year with the non matrix chassis.

And they are still more customizable than a Foundation....and tons of people are using foundations to win. Point being, past a certain point, the customizations have big time diminishing returns.

Reactions: LR1845
Yea Dave Preston still uses them but side by side the matrix is better in almost every way. A handfull of dudes who run them does not make the market. Run something for half a decade you can make it work.

However anyone not already a top shooter, its stupid to spend the money on shit that has no resale value because no one wants that old shit. Its piss poor advise to tell someone they should buy the older BA when its not much more for a much better chassis. Its not 2015 anymore.

Having owned the BA Comp, the Matrix and the Matrix Pro. I'd go BA Comp, the design is simpler with fewer things to to wrong at a match. Anyone win with one as evidenced by several top shooters still using one.

The trick to PRS equipment is to have complete confidence in that equipment. There is zero room for doubt and all the little screws on the Matrix and Pro create doubt for me.

That all being said, I've gone with and stuck with a Foundation for awhile now.

Haha yea tell Morgan King and the rest of the top team mpa guys rocking matrix and matrix pro that. There is the same amount of fastners as any other chassis out there, including the ba.

If you can't be bothered to pay attention to the little details like fasners and locktite, go ahead and skip prs you don't have the discipline for it.

Learn your equipment and it's a non issue.

Maybe some of us have owned ( or currently own) them all. Maybe some of us have shot matches with all of them. Maybe some of us have drawers full of thousands of dollars of mpa accesories and chassis gear. Just a thought.

When someone says it's their first custom it means they don't have the experience and reccomending some old shit that less than. 1% of shooters still use just makes you sound fucking retarded and ignorant. You should post less and learn more.

I'm not going to argue with you. If the OP wants to buy a BA cool. If he wants to buy an ESR cool. If he wants to buy the Matrix or the PRO it's cool. It makes no difference to me what he uses.

I gave my input based on my years of competing. If he wants to use it, cool. If not, all the more power to him.

Reactions: Gquire
I'm not going to argue with you. If the OP wants to buy a BA cool. If he wants to buy an ESR cool. If he wants to buy the Matrix or the PRO it's cool. It makes no difference to me what he uses.

I gave my input based on my years of competing. If he wants to use it, cool. If not, all the more power to him.
Thanks for your input If I was interested in the matrix or matrix pro I would have ask. If i was gonna spend that money id honestly go with the mdt Acc elite. Silly as it sounds I don’t like the looks of the matrix and I don’t think the ba or the esr for what I want to do would hold me back at all. Thank you for posting as you have had experience with both. I asked about those two because those were in my budget. Thanks again.

I've have several BAs, Matrix's and Matrix Pros. I like different things about each one. The ass end of the matrix/matrix pro is heavy and I like that BA better for my Vudoo, because it balances a bit better with it's short 20" barrel. If it were a longer barrel or straight profile, then maybe I'd use a matrix/matrix pro.

How long is you barrel and what contour?

Thanks for your input If I was interested in the matrix or matrix pro I would have ask. If i was gonna spend that money id honestly go with the mdt Acc elite. Silly as it sounds I don’t like the looks of the matrix and I don’t think the ba or the esr for what I want to do would hold me back at all. Thank you for posting as you have had experience with both. I asked about those two because those were in my budget. Thanks again.
Unfortunately the internet at times assumes new, means uninformed..... You probably now realise it is better to acknowledge that you are aware of other options, however have decided between these two for whatever reason.
Helps keep some of the above bullshit at bay..... Though not always!😅
Best of luck

I dont think the BA will hold you back versus the ESR or vice versa. As long as the chassis fits you and doesn't hinder you from seeing what's going on down range, either will work just fine.

Like I said, it's more important to have complete confidence in what you're running. Any doubt in your gear leads to second guessing what you are seeing down range.

Reactions: LR1845
I've have several BAs, Matrix's and Matrix Pros. I like different things about each one. The ass end of the matrix/matrix pro is heavy and I like that BA better for my Vudoo, because it balances a bit better with it's short 20" barrel. If it were a longer barrel or straight profile, then maybe I'd use a matrix/matrix pro.

How long is you barrel and what contour?
Probably 26” bartlien match contour. What ever 5x5 recommends honestly

Unfortunately the internet at times assumes new, means uninformed..... You probably now realise it is better to acknowledge that you are aware of other options, however have decided between these two for whatever reason.
Helps keep some of the above bullshit at bay..... Though not always!😅
Best of luck
Yeah maybe I should have been more clear lol

As someone who has used practically every single chasis on the market between the 2 you asked about, ESR hands down. Literally no reason to consider the BA Comp. The ESR is essentially the same chassis but with mlok and longer forend. I’m not a huge fan of the MPA folding hinge, I’ve seen it come loose a few times and eventually have some wiggle.

Neither of those would be my first choice for a chassis given the current state but if you’ve got an MPA cert, budget concerns, or some other reason not to consider a different chassis outside of those 2 then the decision is pretty easy to me.

ESR > BA Comp

Had both, still running the ESR.

BA Comp won’t accept a 1.25” barrel without modification, ESR will.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
I haven't tried the ESR. I got locked in on a ba comp as a Tikka inlet was available for it and can see the draw of the features on the ESR, but honestly if you dropped a shot because you had a ba comp instead of an ESR I'd be surprised. They're both good. Get what you want. I really like my ba comp. It balances perfectly just as it came from the factory with a 26" proof competition contour in it and it was not modified to handle the bigger contour. There have been times when I wished mine came with mlok slots though, so I had someplace to hang some doohickeys, but in the end they weren't really needed anyway so who cares

There’s nothing wrong with the BA Comp. You can balance it appropriately without as many weights and it weighing less than an MPA matrix or matrix pro if that’s a concern of yours. Rusty Ulmer does fine still using his BA Comp. He goes back and forth between using the BA Comp and Matrix Pro.

That being said I own both the Matrix Pro and the BA Comp and I can shoot great with both of them, but I now prefer the Matrix Pro. I actually have 2 more Matrix Pros on order to standardize all my rifles.

What you are most competent with is what you practice with the most. The BA Comp will win you matches if you do your part.

Attachments

• IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
That's a good looking matrix jthor. Who did the anno?
Outlaw Annodizing in Houston. They finished it right before the finale for me. Highly recommend having a chassis ordered in raw aluminum if you want to anodize one. Just a lot of work to polish after sand blasting the cerakote off. 😅

Neither of those would be my first choice for a chassis given the current state but if you’ve got an MPA cert, budget concerns, or some other reason not to consider a different chassis outside of those 2 then the decision is pretty easy to me.
Would your recommendation still be a Whiskey-3 if not limited to those two options?

Would your recommendation still be a Whiskey-3 if not limited to those two options?
For a Strictly PRS chassis no, I love the W3 don’t get me wrong but there are better options these days. The C4 is amazing, the ACC is elite is pretty good. The XLR envy pro is still great for budget builds. Matrix pro is awesome. Hell even the new Vision Pro chassis looks pretty good.

These days with so many solid options it depends on what features you want and how you rate them in terms of importance. I think my stand out favorites at the moment are the C4, Matrix Pro and XLR envy pro.

Im surprised the XLR envy pro is not more popular. With the C6 stocks its a really nice chassis, and can be had for quite a few hundred less than the Matrix Pro and ACC Elite.

I hate to say it as someone who shoots 3 Matrix's but the ACC elite may be a bit better designed chassis. I know alot of guys who have switched from MPA to MDT and dont regret it. Its an exceptionally well designed chassis, even if they nickle and dime you with all the shit needed to shoot.

For $1600 it should come with weights, dampeners, NV rail ect. Only thing the MPA really needs is weights luckily.

Im surprised the XLR envy pro is not more popular. With the C6 stocks its a really nice chassis, and can be had for quite a few hundred less than the Matrix Pro and ACC Elite.

I hate to say it as someone who shoots 3 Matrix's but the ACC elite may be a bit better designed chassis. I know alot of guys who have switched from MPA to MDT and dont regret it. Its an exceptionally well designed chassis, even if they nickle and dime you with all the shit needed to shoot.

For $1600 it should come with weights, dampeners, NV rail ect. Only thing the MPA really needs is weights luckily.

If you have a straight 1.20 or 1.25 barrel, you can skip the weights on the ACC Elite and it'll balance about 4-5" in front of the mag well.

I have the control bridges and dampeners on mine. I use the control bridge for my off hand thumb for the time being. Depending on how you like to run your off hand, a guy could run exterior weights to use as a thumbrest if he doesn't like the available options.

I have the 5x5 Grip for mine and his cheek piece. The grip is/was available for the Matrix and BA chassis as well. I'm still trying to decide what I think of it.