• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA feeding and extraction question

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Just picked up an MPA bolt action rifle with the Curtis Axiom action in 6.5CM.

Question for other MPA owners: It feeds smoothly and reliably if i work the bolt slow and deliberately. Extraction works fine with slow to medium speed bolt cycling, but if i get real aggressive with the bolt and cycle it fast, which the DLC coated bolt is happy to do, it does not always throw the brass out, and then you get a misfeed. Anybody seen this? Am i doing something wrong? Nature of the beast, or is this fixable?

9CACBE3A-DE51-47EA-B5E2-20592077BF79.jpeg

Last edited:
Take the bolt out and check the ejector plunger, I found on my axiom it was bound up so it wasn't kicking brass out constantly.

OK, will give it a go when i am back home on Tuesday. Thanks for the advice!

Namib dweller

Which magazine are you running? Mine works perfectly with the pmags that mpa sent with it.

I have a metal mdt with binder plate that works decent but I def need to tweak it to be as smooth and as reliable as the pmags.

Which magazine are you running? Mine works perfectly with the pmags that mpa sent with it.

I have a metal mdt with binder plate that works decent but I def need to tweak it to be as smooth and as reliable as the pmags.

I use the PMAG that came with the rifle. Picks up the loaded round (Berger 140 factory ammo) with no problem and the bolt runs the round all the way into the chamber, so no issue with feeding. Extraction is the problem: Slow and steady works fine, but fast bolt manipulation does not work at all. Almost looks like some fired cases hit the neck against the inside of the action (several were bent with a flat spot on the neck) and bounces back into the action. Some cases show n a little ‘nick’ halfway up the case, probably where it hit some sharp edge inside the action while being flung out.

I would try working the ejector plunger maybe get some oil in there and work it down and up fast and several times, sounds like the ejector plunger is not doing its job properly? Also have you cleaned the rifle/chamber yet?

Take a video of the extraction process. Then play it back in slow motion. It might just be hitting the scope turret.

Will try the video recording, good idea, should see something weird going on.

Will also get the plunger lubricated and loosened up.... might help. Had limited time with the gun before driving off for the long weekend.

Will try the video recording, good idea, should see something weird going on.

Will also get the plunger lubricated and loosened up.... might help. Had limited time with the gun before driving off for the long weekend.

OK, worked the plunger a bit with a blunt punch, sprayed a dash of Ballistol in there, and it now functions like a champ. Thanks for the help and advice!

Btw: Noticed that if you open the bolt very slowly, it will drop the brass right next to the rifle. Will lose less brass at practice sessions this way. If you yank it, the spent brass will fly 3 feet. Good! The user has full control.

Reactions: wade2big
OK, worked the plunger a bit with a blunt punch, sprayed a dash of Ballistol in there, and it now functions like a champ. Thanks for the help and advice!

Btw: Noticed that if you open the bolt very slowly, it will drop the brass right next to the rifle. Will lose less brass at practice sessions this way. If you yank it, the spent brass will fly 3 feet. Good! The user has full control.
Glad it's working properly.

I also love that the action drops brass gently when running bolt slowly. Very helpful when firing from the bench.

I love my axiom.

Just to provide an update:

Shot the rifle yesterday at 50 and 100 yards, and had zero feeding or extraction issues. After shooting 40 rounds of Hornady 140 ELD-M, i cannot be happier! Group size at 50 averaged just below 1/4”, while 100 yard groups were around 0.45”, shooting from a bench. Sandbag setup was not great, and no bipod has been mounted yet. Accuracy guarantee is 3/8’ths of an inch. Pretty sure i can improve on that once i mount a good bipod.

Photo below shows 3 and 4 shot groups at 50. Around 0.43 MOA average for 5 groups, if the first (worst) group is ignored.

Any recommendations on what bipod works best with this rifle?

Attachments

• C37F41C4-3709-48D0-B090-2C48F124B47C.jpeg
    C37F41C4-3709-48D0-B090-2C48F124B47C.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 62
Just to provide an update:

Shot the rifle yesterday at 50 and 100 yards, and had zero feeding or extraction issues. After shooting 40 rounds of Hornady 140 ELD-M, i cannot be happier! Group size at 50 averaged just below 1/4”, while 100 yard groups were around 0.45”, shooting from a bench. Sandbag setup was not great, and no bipod has been mounted yet. Accuracy guarantee is 3/8’ths of an inch. Pretty sure i can improve on that once i mount a good bipod.

Photo below shows 3 and 4 shot groups at 50. Around 0.43 MOA average for 5 groups, if the first (worst) group is ignored.

Any recommendations on what bipod works best with this rifle?

Glad you got it working.

I use an Atlas Cal Gen 2 and love it as a general use bipod. I’m thing about getting a cyke-pod for field matches.

Looks good. I like the “Shooter Tutor”, but I had to flip it upside down to read the explanations for missing the bull’s-eye. . Interesting. Do you think the explanations on the outside of the target, on the outside are accurate/legitimate?
I use those targets for mainly pistol work. They can be helpful.

As far as a bipod for your mpa rifle I also am using the atlas Cal gen 2 and couldn't be happier. It's a nice improvement over the Harris I was using.

Whatever bipod you decide on make sure it can tilt/cant. That will be a must have feature when you start shooting longer distances.

Looks good. I like the “Shooter Tutor”, but I had to flip it upside down to read the explanations for missing the bull’s-eye. . Interesting. Do you think the explanations on the outside of the target, on the outside are accurate/legitimate?

I was just re-using an old pistol target, which is why it was upside down. Saving a few pennies.

Don’t think it applies to long rifles...

I use those targets for mainly pistol work. They can be helpful.

As far as a bipod for your mpa rifle I also am using the atlas Cal gen 2 and couldn't be happier. It's a nice improvement over the Harris I was using.

Whatever bipod you decide on make sure it can tilt/cant. That will be a must have feature when you start shooting longer distances.

Friend of mine who does professional culling for the game farms in Namibia (we have a bad drought right now) recommended this Accutac bipod. He is a remarkable rifleman, often being called in to cull animals that have learned to to run off into the far distance when humans appear on the scene. His shooting distances (375 caliber) are in the 500 to 1000 yard range, and he claims this is the best one he has tried so far, shooting prone.

Friend of mine who does professional culling for the game farms in Namibia (we have a bad drought right now) recommended this Accutac bipod. He is a remarkable rifleman, often being called in to cull animals that have learned to to run off into the far distance when humans appear on the scene. His shooting distances (375 caliber) are in the 500 to 1000 yard range, and he claims this is the best one he has tried so far, shooting prone.

I've never used the accutac before, but I have read multiple positive reviews about it. I'm sure it would serve you well.