• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA Matrix Pro Weight Preference

C130

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2023
    Magnolia, TX
    I tried searching but didn’t find anything. I have an MPA Matrix Pro and looking to add weights to the front. I see a few options including the internal weights and trying to decide which is best, any benefits to one over the other, or is it just personal preference?

I'm in the same position, I'm favoring the new XL steel weight set that just came out. It seems like the best bang for the buck and I like the textured top for a thumb rest.

I'm in the same position, I'm favoring the new XL steel weight set that just came out. It seems like the best bang for the buck and I like the textured top for a thumb rest.
    Thanks, I was just looking at that one and watched the MPA video regarding it. I was kinda leaning towards the internal ones just due to the fact that they are hidden but the new set you mentioned has got my attention also.

The only thing I don't like about the internal set is the price.

If you know your required weight is near the XL sets, they do look sweet. The internal weights are nice because you can add 1 weight for every 4 ounces needed.
    The XL sets are 1.5lb and 8.6oz for the steel and aluminum sets respectively

Reactions: C130
    I started out with the internal weights to get my rifle to balance properly and after I added the full internal kit I wasn't happy. I then added two of the steel external ones out front and removed a couple internal ones that were closer to the action to get the proper balance.

The new XL weights from Gray Ops are attractive for the grip texture on the top.

If you are a PRS member, there is a discount code available that brings the cost down a little. These weights are still expensive. What item in this game isn't expensive for what it is?

PRS Rifle with second barrel.jpg

I just ordered the new textured set in steel so I’ll start with those two and go from there.

I got the internal kit on Friday. Today, this came across my feed:

Attachments

• IMG_9266.jpeg
      IMG_9266.jpeg
      493.2 KB · Views: 72
    For those that are much more experienced typically how much weight is preferred on the Matrix Pro? I ordered one set of XL external weights from MPA and my question is will I most likely want more weight? I see a couple of photos on the Gray Ops website where they have two sets of the new external weights installed. I know everyone’s preferences are different and so are the rifle weights. I was actually thinking I’d go with the internal weights but they were out of stock on the MPA website when I ordered the external weights but now they have them in stock.

I’ll see how the one set of external weights are then go from there, just not sure if I want to go with the internal set or another set of the external ones if I add more weight.

Barrel weight makes a big difference on how much chassis weight you'll want. A competition or MTU will require less weight than a heavy palma.

I have the internal set with an M24 and wish I had a little more.

I have a Bartlein barrel, 6.5CM, think it’s 26”. My sons MPA PMR Pro II has the internal set and it feels pretty good to me but I’m very new to this long range stuff. I think I’ll see how I like the new external weights then decide which way I go, they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Thanks.

The barrel profile has a direct impact on the balance of the rifle, which is primarily the goal of adding weight. In the PRS game, you want the rifle to be balanced just forward of the mag well. Well, that's what most shooters prefer. In my case, I'm running a heavy palma 26 inch Bartlein barrel and I had to add 5 internal weights (placed as far forward as possible) and two of the steel external weights to get it to balance correctly. The next barrel I buy will be a heavy varmint or straight profile.

The internal kit still allows the side and bottom mlok slots to function. There is no difference to the barrel channel with the internal weights.

Reactions: Reloader1010