• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA or go another route?

Ballistic_Buck

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hey all,
Looking at buying at precision rifle and I’m looking at a complete MPA PMR 6.5 creedmoor. I’ve never shot a MPA rifle so I have nothing to go on. I’m just asking for honest opinions on whether this is a good rifle or if I should go another route. Thanks.

Yeah, don't do that. I decided to get into prs this year, bought a BA comp in January, and have shot 5 matches with it this year already. I've already replaced everything but the action.

I bought it because I was in a hurry, and I shot a match about 4 days after I got it, but a smart man would have a little patience.

If you'll buy gear out of the px, (after making informed decisions about what you want), you can get the prs rifle you'll actually want for the same money if you don't mind a few scratches. And if you're afraid of scratched gear, then run from prs now.

I like my 3 MPAs. I love JAE but they are just too heavy. Honestly I am not sure anyone makes the chassis I really want. I recommend you try as many different stocks and chassis as you can, first, but accept the journey will be a money pit and never perfect.

The MPA rifles are a terrific value and you really aren’t sacrificing much if anything vs a full custom.

I finished 10th last weekend with one in my first ever 2-day PRS match and the rifle certainly isn’t the reason I didn’t finish higher. Also managed 2nd out of 93 in a 1-day match.

I had one in 6CM and the current one is a 6GT. Both have performed flawlessly and consistently shoot sub 0.5 MOA.

Don’t laugh at my “$900 used Burris” either-
46DBA42F-3E74-4308-B293-C69764E03664.jpeg

Last edited:
The MPA rifles are a terrific value and you really aren’t sacrificing much if anything vs a full custom.

I finished 10th last weekend with one in my first ever 2-day PRS match and the rifle certainly isn’t the reason I didn’t finish higher. Also managed 2nd out of 93 in a 1-day match.

I had one in 6CM and the current one is a 6GT. Both have performed flawlessly and consistently shoot sub 0.5 MOA.
I agree with everything you said there. I may not have made that point, but mine hasn't cost me a single miss. What I'm suggesting is that there are about a million ways to buy or build a precision rifle, and that's a very nice complete setup, but most people who play this game have the same disease. We are never satisfied, and it's just unlikely that someone will buy that rifle and be content with it for very long. There are way better chasis options, the trigger is pretty good, but it's not great. You'll quickly wish you had a heavier barrel, etc. If you don't have this disease, then you may shoot one for life. I don't know how normal people live.

I agree with everything you said there. I may not have made that point, but mine hasn't cost me a single miss. What I'm suggesting is that there are about a million ways to buy or build a precision rifle, and that's a very nice complete setup, but most people who play this game have the same disease. We are never satisfied, and it's just unlikely that someone will buy that rifle and be content with it for very long. There are way better chasis options, the trigger is pretty good, but it's not great. You'll quickly wish you had a heavier barrel, etc. If you don't have this disease, then you may shoot one for life. I don't know how normal people live.
All valid points if you order the the “Pro as is” (not Pro 2)

But….

- The Pro 2 comes with a TriggerTech Diamond (same trigger the majority of Pro’s use).

- All the BA Pro/PRO2 now come with the ESR Chassis which will accommodate up to a 1.25 straight barrel.

- You can specify whatever barrel contour you want. Previously the BA Comp chassis was limited to the MTU as the largest contour that would fit without mods but the ESR Chassis solved that problem.

If you prefer, they also offer the Matrix model at the production price point.

Its good to try different rifles, especially the different chassis/stocks. Not bad to try other actions as well. With a rifle from MPA or GAP, the rifle comes complete and normally they work out of the box.

I own two MPA rifles, both good, both no problems, both shoot very tight groups and are completely trouble free.

MPA Matrix

Reactions: Ballistic_Buck
I'm not a fan of the MPA BA PMR (The hybrid Chassis Version)
I think this is a great entry point if you just wanted something economical... BUT a better buy would be the PMR pro 2.

I am a fan of the MPA BA PMR PRO 2 (ESR Chassis)
What makes the MPA Pro 2 really attractive is the Price.
Thats a lot of rifle for $2500
Trigger Tech Diamond single Stage trigger
1/2" MOA guarantee.
if you add a folder at time of purchase its ONLY $150 more vs having xtra parts sitting around (Super convenient for traveling).
It's Threaded so you can add their muzzle break for an additional $125
or you can install whatever break you want...(Like an NEXT GEN EC2 Tuner/Brake)

If your looking for Best of Breed sure you can go custom all the way and pay for it.
Most nice actions are 1200-1500?
Barrel 750-900?
TT diamond 250
Chasis 1k+
Gunsmiths / Lead time for parts????
That's a super conservative estimate

If you just want a good shooter out of the box at a reasonable price...it's sure hard to beat the BA PMR PRO 2.
If you splurge you can also upgrade the stock to the matrix/pro
Only big con is the color...your fixed between two different color scheme.

Good Luck on your journey.
Share with us what you end up with.

If you buy an MPA, make sure you sign up for a PRS membership. That $40 will save you 15% off a rifle or anything from MPA.

I am not a fan of curtis actions but at the $2500-3000 price point, you could do worse. I would deffinaltey get the matrix chassis, its a huge step up from the BA.

GAP also makes the PPR with a Manners stock that is really nice and they use better actions (Defiance tenacity) and better barrels (bartlien). If you aren't trying to stay production, and end up swaping stuff out. The manners is going to have a higher resale than a BA, but the matrix also has decent resale, especially if its the pro.

Depending on your budget, you could just throw together a rifle on your own. If you can stretch your budget you can pretty much buy all tier 1 componets (some used) and throw together yourself, saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

If you buy an MPA, make sure you sign up for a PRS membership. That $40 will save you 15% off a rifle or anything from MPA.

I am not a fan of curtis actions but at the $2500-3000 price point, you could do worse. I would deffinaltey get the matrix chassis, its a huge step up from the BA.

GAP also makes the PPR with a Manners stock that is really nice and they use better actions (Defiance tenacity) and better barrels (bartlien). If you aren't trying to stay production, and end up swaping stuff out. The manners is going to have a higher resale than a BA, but the matrix also has decent resale, especially if its the pro.

Depending on your budget, you could just throw together a rifle on your own. If you can stretch your budget you can pretty much buy all tier 1 componets (some used) and throw together yourself, saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
GAP uses Curtis actions on the PPR now since Defiance was bought out and jacked up the prices.

Wow 15% off is HUGE...
Thank you so much I never thought about checking the page out for discounts!