• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA PMR 6.5 Creedmoor impressions and initial ladder tests

Rpaape342

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2019
New member, long time creeper. After placing an order for a 26" m24 contour creedmoor barrel from X-Caliber, i learned that i could just buy a PMR rifle from MPA for likely less than I could build it myself - so i did. It arrived significantly earlier than expected and boy was the wait worth it.
mmm (2).jpg

The rifle is just beautiful, fit and finish is pristine and screams money well spent. Only thing I was not real happy with was the case they sent with it, doesn't provide enough space for the gun once it's scoped up. A nice drag-bag fixed that and a homeless shotgun found refuge in the too-small case from MPA.

Was lucky enough to take the gun out this last saturday to shoot a few ladder tests and break the barrel in. I'm not new to reloading but the results have me scratching my head. I loaded up this ladder to 1. search for a velocity node and 2. find the upper limits of pressure. I can semi-confidently say I might've found what i was looking for?

Loaded ladders with H4350 and 140gr elds as well as 123gr elds that I shoot through my grendel. I've attached pictures of the velocity findings from the ladders.

With the 140 grs I loaded up 40.9 - 43.8, .3 gr increments except for 43.8, 43.4 and 43.0. The test didn't produce as clear of a velocity node(s) as I would've liked, but told me the h4350/140gr eld was going to be a good combo. 1st, I was blown away by the velocities achieved. 2nd terrified by the huge velocity drop at 43.8. At the high end, primers were in tact and minimal ejector marks / bolt lift. Does not mean I am going to push any further or that those charge weights are safe, but interesting. 7 out of the 10 ladder charges grouped in a nice little .45 moa bug hole. I went and loaded up more at 42.7 and have attached the group and velocity data from that as well. Not happy with the ES or the two fliers, but i suspect if I had loaded them up at the bench and not the bed of my truck the SD/ES would've been tighter.
ladder tests.png

eld group.jpg

eld groups.jpg

The velocities and group from the 123gr ladder test also were better than expected. I did find very defined velocity nodes with this, and wish pressure signs were a little more friendly at the top of my test. Pressure signs were minimal but don't feel like subjecting the gun to that hot of a load. A 123gr load going ~3100 would be a bad ass predator/pig load. Don't think I will explore this load any more outside of using up old bullet stock for plinking.
123 eld group.jpg

I topped the rifle up with an Athlon Ares ETR and I could not be happier with the scope and its performance, so far. Beautiful clarity and excellent low-light performance.

I'm kinda confused by my 140gr eld ladder test data, but know that with a little oal work the 42.7 load will shoot lights out. Please provide any insight/recommendations.

Overall I am blown away by the MPA PMR performance and would recommend anyone that is on the fence to go ahead and pull the trigger on it - it is worth it.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
New member, long time creeper. After placing an order for a 26" m24 contour creedmoor barrel from X-Caliber, i learned that i could just buy a PMR rifle from MPA for likely less than I could build it myself - so i did. It arrived significantly earlier than expected and boy was the wait worth it. View attachment 7185730
The rifle is just beautiful, fit and finish is pristine and screams money well spent. Only thing I was not real happy with was the case they sent with it, doesn't provide enough space for the gun once it's scoped up. A nice drag-bag fixed that and a homeless shotgun found refuge in the too-small case from MPA.

Was lucky enough to take the gun out this last saturday to shoot a few ladder tests and break the barrel in. I'm not new to reloading but the results have me scratching my head. I loaded up this ladder to 1. search for a velocity node and 2. find the upper limits of pressure. I can semi-confidently say I might've found what i was looking for?

Loaded ladders with H4350 and 140gr elds as well as 123gr elds that I shoot through my grendel. I've attached pictures of the velocity findings from the ladders.

With the 140 grs I loaded up 40.9 - 43.8, .3 gr increments except for 43.8, 43.4 and 43.0. The test didn't produce as clear of a velocity node(s) as I would've liked, but told me the h4350/140gr eld was going to be a good combo. 1st, I was blown away by the velocities achieved. 2nd terrified by the huge velocity drop at 43.8. At the high end, primers were in tact and minimal ejector marks / bolt lift. Does not mean I am going to push any further or that those charge weights are safe, but interesting. 7 out of the 10 ladder charges grouped in a nice little .45 moa bug hole. I went and loaded up more at 42.7 and have attached the group and velocity data from that as well. Not happy with the ES or the two fliers, but i suspect if I had loaded them up at the bench and not the bed of my truck the SD/ES would've been tighter.
View attachment 7185759
View attachment 7185760
View attachment 7185761

The velocities and group from the 123gr ladder test also were better than expected. I did find very defined velocity nodes with this, and wish pressure signs were a little more friendly at the top of my test. Pressure signs were minimal but don't feel like subjecting the gun to that hot of a load. A 123gr load going ~3100 would be a bad ass predator/pig load. Don't think I will explore this load any more outside of using up old bullet stock for plinking.
View attachment 7185762

I topped the rifle up with an Athlon Ares ETR and I could not be happier with the scope and its performance, so far. Beautiful clarity and excellent low-light performance.

I'm kinda confused by my 140gr eld ladder test data, but know that with a little oal work the 42.7 load will shoot lights out. Please provide any insight/recommendations.

Overall I am blown away by the MPA PMR performance and would recommend anyone that is on the fenc

I picked up a BA PMR a few weeks ago. My velocity numbers with 140gr Berger hybrids match yours very closely. I've found 40.9gr to be very accurate - with single hole 5 shot groups. There seems to be a velocity node between 41.6-42-ish, but the groups open up a bit to about 0.5 moa.

Last edited:
I’m gonna work the cbto on 42.7 load to try to tighten things up. Just ordered 500 more of the 140s, hoping to keep velocities north of 2800. Didn’t think the creedmoor would hit 2900+ though, really impressive to see especially it being a new rifle. Shot some American gunner for break in and was putting in .8-.9 in groups. Still getting used to the single stage trigger, coming from larue mbt 2 stages

I still haven’t had the time and weather line up to test mine out yet. I do agree on the case, I wish they would have kept it and added a better grip. They knew the case was a joke because my rifle came wrapped in bubble wrap inside the foam case lol.

I picked up a BA PMR a few weeks ago. My velocity numbers with 140gr Berger hybrids match yours very closely. I've found 40.9gr to be very accurate - with single hole 5 shot groups. There seems to be a velocity node between 41.6-42-ish, but the groups open up a bit to about 0.5 moa.
Talking to myself. I'm dumb

Reactions: Rpaape342