• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA Production or Bad Rock South Fork

rogers0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Camp Lejeune and elsewhere
Good Afternoon,

I'm looking to get into PRS. I've shot 1 match with a .308 in Tactical Division, and would like to pick up a 6.5 Creedmor rifle. I am not looking to compete in Production Division (or Tactical obviously), but from looking at some relatively cheaper options, 2 rifles that caught my eye are the MPA Production Rifle and the new Bad Rock South Fork. I do not plan to reload at this time, and will be buying a rifle in 6.5 Creedmor to soot factory ammunition. I plan to shoot 1x club level PRS match per month, and maybe 1 or 2 2-day matches per year.

Based on the 2 rifles I listed, is there any reason to choose 1 over the other? I am not 100% familiar with the intricacies of the different actions/stocks/etc since the majority of my experience has been with issued USMC Sniper Rifles.

Thank you for your time and help and any guidance.

SH Edition from APO

$1950 as you see it (minus the scope)

700 worked on by former 2112 guys at APO, they debur it, air gauge the barrel, and then drop it in the Saber Chassis.

6.5CM as seen above

In the rifle section is the link to spec the build if you want to upgrade it.

The others are good too, I like this chassis better,

Personally, I think the MPA version has the most going for it, for PRS.

Thank you. I need to give that APO Rifle some serious consideration.

I have a GA Precision M40A5 that I use for training/classes, etc. The purpose of this new rifle will solely be competition. From the PRS match I shot, I saw alot of MPA and MDT chassis, and it seems like those particular stocks give a shooter a variety of ways to kind of game some of the stages (being able to slide the bipod to different positions along the bottom of the stock, adding various barricade stops etc).
Frank, I haven't had the opportunity to handle the APO Rifle...if you don't mind me asking, what does the stock offer over the MPA and MDT options?

Hereinaz...what do you like better about the MPA over the BadRock/MDT offering?

I love my Badrock but I think it performs even better in my MPA chassis for competition. It has really slicked up after about only 200 rounds. It’s a matter of personal preference on the two chassis. I like the MPA vertical grip over the MDT grip and I think the rifle balances a little better on the barricade stages with the mpa although it is damn close.

In regards to the actions in the MPA and the Bad Rock, are there any key differences? Again, all of my previous experience has been with a Remington 700 action so I’m not really spun up on what would make one custom action better or worse then another.

In regards to the actions in the MPA and the Bad Rock, are there any key differences? Again, all of my previous experience has been with a Remington 700 action so I’m not really spun up on what would make one custom action better or worse then another.
I could be wrong but I believe the mpa is a three lug push feed curtis and the bad rock is a two lug controlled round defiance. So all the differences between a 90 degree and a 60/72 whatever it is.

Reactions: Fig
@spife7980 is correct. It comes down to the whole 2 lug vs 3 lug argument. Before MPA switched to the Curtis budget action (I don’t know if it has a name) it was a much easier decision. Both companies make a great receiver. My advice is to order one and start loading ammo. I do have to tell you that my customer service experience with Badrock/Defiance Machine has been prompt and excellent. I’ve had no issues with the rifle and got called back promptly when asking about the status of it during production.

I have a MPA PMR 6.5 I think it is the best BANG for the buck.....

Attachments

• pmr1.jpg
    pmr1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 154
  • pmr3.jpg
    pmr3.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 155
  • pmr6.jpg
    pmr6.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 168
What color is that PMR stock? I see they have black and tungsten but the pics of tungsten online look light silver.

I'm torn between the MPA and blowing my budget, or going Bergara B14 BMP and a nicer scope.

I run an MPA and love it, but if it's between rifle and scope get the scope you want. It lives on and rehomes long after you've fallen out of love with the rifle and get a new girlfriend.

I run an MPA and love it, but if it's between rifle and scope get the scope you want. It lives on and rehomes long after you've fallen out of love with the rifle and get a new girlfriend.

Agreed. This is what I did. I bought an RPR and as soon as I could afford to put a Gen II Razor on it. I've since sold the RPR and replaced it with something nicer, but am still using the Razor. Having a quality scope on an entry level rifle is worlds better than having a nice rifle topped with a more budget oriented scope.

What color is that PMR stock? I see they have black and tungsten but the pics of tungsten online look light silver.

I'm torn between the MPA and blowing my budget, or going Bergara B14 BMP and a nicer scope.

The color is Tungsten..... Iv'e had a Bergara LRP and it was a nice rifle but it does not compare to the MPA/PMR where the PMR pulls ahead is with the MPA/Curtis action and the HEAVY barrel. The 2 things I wish were different with the PMR is a 24in barrel instead of a 26in and the bolt has a light coating of something that comes off really easy, it does not hurt the function it just looks bad on a nice rifle.
At my last match a RO just went on a on how nice the rifle was over all the other rifles he saw that day.

Attachments

• MPA Group 1.jpg
    MPA Group 1.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited: