• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA Ultra Light vs Manners EH1 for hunting build

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am having GA build a .300 PRC for hunting for me. I am trying to decide between these two stocks. I am open to any input you guys have. I am leaning towards the MPA but have a few concerns about that stock.

1) I know they had issues in the past posting weights online for stocks that were less than what the actual weights were. This stock is listed at 2.5 lbs. Is that a correct weight? Has anyone confirmed it?

2) I want to use CIP length mags. Does this Chassis accept these?

3) I have heard that there can be some finicky feeding issues with mags on these. How big an issue is this? I don't care if Magpul mags don't work.

4) One reason I am looking at a chassis gun is so I don't have to bed it. I have heard that some people had vertical stringing on MPA stocks until they bedded them. How well do these work without bedding.

I own a couple of Manners stocks and they have all been fantastic and are a known quantity for me that is why the EH1 is the fall back choice.

Thanks for everyones help.

I don’t own either one but I would go with the Manners EH1 with mini chassis (BDL or DBM). Just bolt it in like a chassis. I don’t like the idea of a cold aluminum chassis while hunting.

I have yet to see where bedding a stock is necessary. Any pillar bedded stock i have owned is a drop in and torque down stock. If bedding was necessary then there wouldnt be a Tikka that would shoot. Tikkas arent even pillar bedded. There wouldnt be a Remington 5R that would shoot. The Savage rifles i have experience with shoot as good as any and that is with the cheap plastic stock. Maybe i am speaking out of ignorance but I think bedding is a profitable gunsmith upsell.

You are speaking about a hunting rifle. Even if there was a slight consistency increase from bedding would it matter at any reasonable hunting distance on game. Are you head shooting gophers at 1000yards with your .300 PRC?

I say Manners. Like Drwood said, that aluminum is gonna get real cold on a chassis. With the manners you could do their CIP length mini chassis (I have an EH1 with CIP mini chassis in a 28 nosler, I load to 3.730" with no issues feeding at all with AICS CIP mags) or no mini chassis and go with wyatt's box if you didn't want a detachable mag and would cut some weight too.

have a manners minichassis 5 with the thumbhole and the rest of my rifles are either chassis/AI/dta etc.
i am a chassis convert.
as for the cold take some sports tape/hockey tape and throw a couple of pieces on it
protects you from the cold and you can Krylon it for the hunt and then peel off when you get home.

I have an EH1 with CIP DBM mini chassis on order. I was told the BDL mini chassis is not cut for CIP length rounds when I called in to order it.
Hopefully I can tag back in with an actual weight in a few weeks.

Be aware that the "lite" models of MPW including the hybrid chassis etc, will not mount on to many ARCA clamps including the manfrotto ballhead. I bought a Hybrid for this use and there is too much material below the arca cuts on the chassis to allow the clamps to mount.

+1 for the Manners EH1. I have several Manners and the last was an EH1 with CIP length bottom metal for a 300 WSM. It’s my favorite stock by far and solid. I didn’t do the mini chassis though. Mine is bedded and it’s a tack driver. I love manners stocks and think the EH1 is a great option.

Be aware that the "lite" models of MPW including the hybrid chassis etc, will not mount on to many ARCA clamps including the manfrotto ballhead. I bought a Hybrid for this use and there is too much material below the arca cuts on the chassis to allow the clamps to mount.

Not sure what clamp you are using-
But, I have an MPA Hybrid and every RRS/ Arca clamp I have used works just fine. I’ve used about 5 different brands of clamps/ mounts.

#1 is reason enough to go EH1. Last year I was in the same boat and almost bought the Hybrid which was listed as "less than 2.9lb". When they finally got into people's hands months later some reported 4+.

Until the ultralight gets into people's hands, you don't know what it will weigh.

Call me crazy but I bought a Bravo yesterday. 2.9 lb chassis for 350 bucks with a vertical grip? Worth a shot to me at least. I plan to put a TL3 in 6.5 PRC in it. Thinking 22" barrel with a can but not sure on contour. What would you guys use? I'm thinking #5 or light palma. At 22" they both should give me enough meat and strength to mount an Omega. #4 might not have enough meat at 22" to mount a can.

a lot of the weight issue ive noticed from chassis guys is the fine print.
the stated weight usually does not include the butt stock and grip etc.
the original weight is the center action/chassis section.

Reactions: generalzip
Why are you wanting to avoid bedding?

IMO the whole point of having a smith, especially a reputable one like GA build a rifle is for it to not be a one size fit all option. Have them bed it, and tune it for the mags you want to use so it’s right and a complete system not a one size fits all drop in.

Reactions: ratrod54
Why are you wanting to avoid bedding?

IMO the whole point of having a smith, especially a reputable one like GA build a rifle is for it to not be a one size fit all option. Have them bed it, and tune it for the mags you want to use so it’s right and a complete system not a one size fits all drop in.

I can think of a few reasons.

1. Cost. A quality bedded stock generally costs more than a equal feature chassis system.

2. Time. Nobody wants to have their shit at the smith for a month.

3. Resale value. Once bedded for a specific action it kills resale value. A chassis that isn’t bedded can usually fit any 700 footprint action.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Those are good reasons, they become less convincing to me when you are having someone like GA build the rifle for you already

It was a genuine question for ops situation though. Everybody has reasons for their wants

Last edited:
Reactions: generalzip