• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA - Vertical Grip replacment?

Mr Flannel

Self-Licking Icecream
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a replacement near/vertical grip for the MPA BA-Comp chassis. I have their vertical grip on mine and it's not fitting as well as I'd like. Have given it a fair go and it's workable but a little distracting and when I'm under the pump, sometimes I find myself ending up with a dodgy hand position and the odd shanked trigger press as a result. My hands are probably a might small for this grip. There's no fore/aft adjustability I can see (?) and it doesn't lend itself to alternate side shooting.

Anyone been down this same road or otherwise have any suggestions?

Cheers

I have tried both the MDT vertical grip and the Anarchy Outdoors grip. I slightly prefer the AO grip but the MDT does have fore/aft adjustment. The AO seems to be made of a less brittle material. I cracked the flange where one of the grip screw washers sits and I thought I was careful not to over-torque, but who knows. I put epoxy underneath the grip panel and that fixed it fine, just use care during installation if you get that one. I had the MPA grip earlier and I personally like both of these a little better.

Do you like the vertical grip, or are you wanting to try something different. They used to just come with a standard A2 AR15 grip - it's smaller and may suit you better? I have a couple lying around you're welcome to have if you want to try that.

@nfoley - thanks for the kind offer, much appreciated. I am looking for something closer to vertical though, so will pass on the A2 offer. Have used them on gassers previously, so understand what you’re talking about.

@A-Rob - had looked at both those grips and was thinking of trying the MDT, mainly due to the fore/aft adjustability. Unfortunate about the cracking issue you experienced, will have to be mindful of that.

The Ergo swift grip is worth a look. It’s not 100% vertical but closer than most. Very small for people like me with raccoon hands. Doesn’t cost much.

Dremel it to fit your hand better. That is what I did and best feeling grip I’ve had. I had to move the thumb placement forward and removed the hump for the finger. I have short fingers also so getting a good 90 for trigger press was impossible. After the dremel I have a great feeling grip now with good reference points to create consistency.

I agree. Don’t be afraid to modify your gear to fit you. We adjust out cheek riser, length of pull to an exact fit for us, why not the grip? The MPA grip is extra thick. It has plenty of plastic, so you can grind on it and not sacrifice strength. I have short fingers, so I added a little epoxy to the front strap and sanded smooth.

Dremel it to fit your hand better. That is what I did and best feeling grip I’ve had. I had to move the thumb placement forward and removed the hump for the finger. I have short fingers also so getting a good 90 for trigger press was impossible. After the dremel I have a great feeling grip now with good reference points to create consistency.

Would you be able to post pics of your dremel masterpiece--pun intended:LOL:. Would like some visual ideas of the cuts you made as a starting point. Love the idea!

I thought of this but I’m not exactly what you’d call a steady hand with a Dremel. 99% sure the results would be worse than the problem, not to mention a god-awful mess hanging off an otherwise good looking rifle.

You don’t need a steady hand actually. Just don’t press hard with the dremel and you will be fine. What I did was place my hand on the grip and used a sharpie where the vertical line of my thumb was and where the trigger finger went across the hump. I’m at work but tomorrow I’ll post some pictures.

Reactions: Squibbler
I thought of this but I’m not exactly what you’d call a steady hand with a Dremel. 99% sure the results would be worse than the problem, not to mention a god-awful mess hanging off an otherwise good looking rifle.

Also if you mess it up you were possibly going to another grip anyways so why not attempt. That was my thinking

Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a replacement near/vertical grip for the MPA BA-Comp chassis. I have their vertical grip on mine and it's not fitting as well as I'd like. Have given it a fair go and it's workable but a little distracting and when I'm under the pump, sometimes I find myself ending up with a dodgy hand position and the odd shanked trigger press as a result. My hands are probably a might small for this grip. There's no fore/aft adjustability I can see (?) and it doesn't lend itself to alternate side shooting.

Anyone been down this same road or otherwise have any suggestions?

Cheers

the mdt acc grip is very nice .. its also ar15 compa - well it looks like it. I got both and come to like the mdt better - more adjustability

Reactions: MDT_Josh
As a side not on the cracking on our grips, we have addressed that issue and it has been resolved on our current production :) We have reduced the air gap between the part that connects to the chassis and the grip panels, as well as thickening up the material under the adjustment screw heads. If you guys ever have any issues with our products, PM me.

the mdt acc grip is very nice .. its also ar15 compa - well it looks like it. I got both and come to like the mdt better - more adjustability
Unless MDT has changed it the grip itself is not compatible with AR's without doing alterations to the detent spring on the lower itself.
The way the grip is made there is no place for the spring to sit and would not work with it anyhow because of the fore and aft movement of the grip
Some people have tapped the detent spring hole on the lower and cut the spring to size and placed a set screw to hold it in place.

Last edited:
Honestly it looks rough and if need be I can go over with sand paper but I really don’t feel any of the markings on it

Side view
891E2C73-87AE-442D-9145-45EFA5C4750A.jpeg

Front view
D2D1BEF3-7D10-44F1-9E3F-C18FB9063FE2.jpeg

Back side
A089CF34-78A3-425C-88CA-C01B0D7E658B.jpeg

Hand placement
2C6CCE28-D121-44A7-902B-AC81BB278617.jpeg

And now you can see why my chode fingers don’t work without modifications.

Reactions: xNF_9
That's basically what I did to mine. However, I added some epoxy to the front strap, and the thumbshelf. I then sanded down to get the exact 90 degree trigger finger I wanted.

That's basically what I did to mine. However, I added some epoxy to the front strap, and the thumbshelf. I then sanded down to get the exact 90 degree trigger finger I wanted.
You sir took the grip work to the next level. Can you take a few pictures of your mods so I can see what you did and get an idea maybe?

Reactions: Squibbler
Here’s what I did:
I added epoxy to the front strap to build it up to be completely vertical from the back of the trigger guard. I also added to the sides of the grip to “round” it out. Then I sanded it down smooth. I built up the thumb rest, then flattened it out to make my thumb happy. I sanded down the“fingerrest” as I felt my fingers drag on the bottom corner when trying to run the bolt fast. It still does it’s job of positioning my trigger finger. I have a sheet of Talon grip that I wrap the grip with to finish it off.
2FB1153A-31FA-4010-B9C5-9ABF8F00026A.jpeg
40C8A20A-3B96-4187-8770-5EF18AD1F797.jpeg
0DC79A8F-2F8C-402B-9A14-123E58E9CAE4.jpeg

Looks good. I have never really used epoxy but looks like I might have a project ahead of me.

So the MDT grip will work on the MPA chassis? I have the comp chassis on order and have about average size hands, so I am not sure how good the grip will work for me. I like the adjustability of the MDT.

I thought I would too. I bought an MDT adjustable grip, put it on my MPA chassis, and 5 minutes later it was back in the box with me emailing MDT for a return. It took a bit of work, but I’m really happy with my “modified” MPA grip.

Reactions: shields shtr
So the MDT grip will work on the MPA chassis? I have the comp chassis on order and have about average size hands, so I am not sure how good the grip will work for me. I like the adjustability of the MDT.
Yes, the MDT will go on any chassis that is AR-15 grip compatible (MDT, MPA, XLR, KRG, etc.).

Here's another option made by Troy Lawton.
https://tlcgrips.com

I've not handled one yet but like the idea of the full palm swell for support.
I absoltely LOVE my TLC. Tried AO both the Penguin and Tuxedo they were nice, but just not perfect. Tried TLC and just knew instantly the palm swell is what does it for me.

Reactions: rsb
I just picked up a pistol from from MDT. I seriously just think the MPA is too wide or my hand so I end up feeling like I have to reach for it.

Reactions: rsb and MDT_Josh