• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA's new "production" class rifle

goosed

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2014
MN
MPA BA PMR Competition Rifle
$1,999.99

2019-PMR-aa.jpg

MPA BA PMR (Precision Match Rifle) Competition Rifle

• Caliber – 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 308
  • Match Grade Chamber
  • MPA/Curtis Action
  • Barrel – X-caliber Blank/MPA Chambered #7 Contour
  • Chassis – MPA BA Hybrid Chassis
  • Thread Protector
  • Trigger Tech Trigger Set to 1-3 lbs
  • Magazine – AICS Type (10 Round Magpul/AICS Type Magazine Included)
  • Built In Inclinometer
  • Thumb Notch
  • R.A.T. System Compatible
Action
  • MPA/Curtis Short Action
  • 60 Degree Bolt Throw
  • 3 Lug Design
  • Tool less Firing Pin Assy Removal System
Barrel
  • X-Caliber Hand Lapped 416R Stainless Premium Barrel Blank
  • Stress Relieved
  • Bore and Land Inspected on Video Borescope
  • Chamber is indicated within .0001″ or less – to the bore of the rifle
  • Polished Barrel Finish
Chassis
  • Masterpiece Arms BA Hybrid Chassis
  • Produced from 6061 Aluminum
  • V-Bedding System with Additional clearance for Glass Bedding Action and Straight Section of Barrel
  • MPA Buttstock with Adjustable Cheek Riser, Length of Pull
  • Lower mounted Picatinny Rail
  • 20 MOA Scope Rail
  • Cerakote Finish – Black or Tungsten
  • Built In Inclinometer
  • Thumb Notch
  • R.A.T. System Compatible
  • A2 Style Pistol Grip
Trigger
  • Trigger Tech Special – Set to 1-3lbs
Plano Basic Rifle Case

Specs
  • Rifle Weight – 11.5 lbs
  • Barrel Twist – Caliber Specific
  • Barrel Length – 26″
  • Barrel Muzzle Thread – 5/8-24 TPI
  • Barrel Profile – #7 Contour
  • Coating – Cerakote Chassis, Polished Barrel
  • Length of Pull – 13.75-15″
  • Trigger – Trigger Tech Special
  • Trigger Pull – 1-3 lbs. (Customer Choice)
The length of pull and cheek riser position are adjustable and locked in position with a series of set screws that are embedded into the buttstock body. This is the same system we use on our standard BA chassis, but without the thumb wheels.

On caliber selection, three options are available. 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 Win.

Is that allowed in production? I haven't really followed the rules but I thought the rifle had to stay unaltered.

Fairly sure the grip is considered an "accessory" and isn't regulated.

Reactions: Chernobyl
Probably because it would bump the price over $2000.
Thats what I figured. If you are allowed to change it then it's no big deal. But if you're stuck with it then I'd rather they cut $25 in costs somewhere else.

Solid deal regardless. I wonder how barrel replacement will work. Must be a Xcaliber? Or just must be replaced by MPA?

Based on the rule book (see below) I believe you might be stuck with MPA for rebarrels?

For the purpose of the Production Division, a rifle is defined as the original manufacturers configuration of a complete firearm which will be comprised of at least but not limited to the following: stock with bottom metal or chassis, a complete action, a barrel and a trigger mechanism.

If I’m not mistaken you have to replace it with that exact same barrel. Can’t be a different brand or different smith or contour and has to be one of the chamberings offered above.

If I’m not mistaken you have to replace it with that exact same barrel. Can’t be a different brand or different smith or contour and has to be one of the chamberings offered above.

That was my interpretation as well...

Is that an axiom action? For the price that’s got to be hard to beat

You have to be able to replace barrels. That rule doesn’t even make sense.

I always thought the point of production class was to get the new shooter into it, in hopes they grow/move into the open division. Not make a limited class that people want to stay in. If not, then I agree, that rule makes no sense.

It is amazing to me that Mpa uses a xcaliber barrel when they make the Spencer barrels in house. Looks to be a solid rifle to me.

Ha. Didn’t realize they had customer service problems. That stinks.

It is amazing to me that Mpa uses a xcaliber barrel when they make the Spencer barrels in house. Looks to be a solid rifle to me.

They make the Spencer barrels??? I thought those were made by Clay Spencer out of Virginia???

Reactions: reubenski
I believe a replacement has to come from MPA and has to be the same that you had. That's what I was told if I had to replace my barrel on my RPR. I'm glad they loosened up the restrictions on accessories like rails and other things.

Ordered mine a few weeks ago, so still got a bit of wait time left. Will update with some thoughts after delivery and some range time.

Reactions: Gobears16
Mine just came in last week. I ordered mine right before SHOT show. I got it to the range this weekend to zero and test a few loads. I'm coming from an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I went with the same caliber due to having a decent amount of 6.5 reloading materials and ammo still.

Mine just came in last week. I ordered mine right before SHOT show. I got it to the range this weekend to zero and test a few loads. I'm coming from an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I went with the same caliber due to having a decent amount of 6.5 reloading materials and ammo still.

And? How did it shoot?

Do you have any pictures or video that you can share?

Here's mine, I just got it today everything looks good. If you like heavy barrels then you will love this rifle it is .930 at the muzzle ( I like it) it might need some weight in the rear to help balance it out.

Attachments

• pmr1.jpg
    pmr1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 533
  • pmr2.jpg
    pmr2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 546
  • pmr4.jpg
    pmr4.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 519
  • pmr5.jpg
    pmr5.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 552
  • pmr6.jpg
    pmr6.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 567
I find it odd that Mpa barrels is advertised on the side of the barrel. I thought this production class rifle was running a xcaliber barrel.

Reactions: garandman
I did notice the balance point is a little more forward of the magwell than I prefer. It is in their hybrid chassis, so I know you can add more weight to it. I will probably do a bit of a video on it once I get a little time. I do have a club match coming up in 2 weeks. I will definitely get some video then on it.

Attachments

• 8E876636-2E4B-4E4E-9922-126ED6913078.jpeg
    8E876636-2E4B-4E4E-9922-126ED6913078.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 01E39D25-A6D6-4B3B-B9A5-2A3E8F31EE5F.jpeg
    01E39D25-A6D6-4B3B-B9A5-2A3E8F31EE5F.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 322
Reactions: Bulldog10
I plan on shooting it tonight, for what I see so far it is a Great value for the $$$$.

Reactions: Estes640
I have noticed the coating on my bolt has started coming off. I'll take a picture of it tonight. I'm guessing here but I've cycled the bolt at least 300-400 times.

Some of the coating was already worn when I picked it up from my FFL as well. I assume from MPA checking the rifle. Did you notice that on yours?

Here are 2 (5) shot groups from Hornady Gunner ammo.... I think I am pulling on the trigger a little.

Attachments

• MPA Group 1.jpg
    MPA Group 1.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 164
  • MPA group 2.jpg
    MPA group 2.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: JeffLebowski
Looks good to me. I have a xcaliber barrel and it shoots really well. I just find it odd that MPA a barrel company owner would source barrels from xcaliber. Very nice rifle keep hammering.

Reactions: onebadmofo
My guess is that is where they cut cost to keep the rifle in the Production Class. I don't know what key features are missing from the action other than the fluting on the bolt. The chassis is a hybrid. You can only get them in one color. It all comes down to what they want they're willing to sell and make off the rifle.

I do need to find a new home for my RPR though hah.

Get a piece of rubber hose or tubing to fit over the check rest studs so when you take it off it is always set to your height.

I marked the height with a sharpie to give me a point of reference, but that would work as well. I'll see what I can find.

I have noticed the coating on my bolt has started coming off. I'll take a picture of it tonight. I'm guessing here but I've cycled the bolt at least 300-400 times.

Some of the coating was already worn when I picked it up from my FFL as well. I assume from MPA checking the rifle. Did you notice that on yours?
Is this an issue beyond just being cosmetic? Like with rust or function?