• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MPCT3 Initial Impressions

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So, have had a bit of time behind my first MPCT3 reticle. (If you want the cliff notes, I like it and will be getting another one or two of them).

I’ll start with the actual optic briefly since it’s still a ZCO527.

The turrets on this one are the best turrets I’ve felt in handling over 20 zco. The original feel was awesome, but they have been tweaking the turrets as user experiences come in. These turrets are about as perfect as a locking turrets can get.

The locking turrets are super smooth. I would be totally comfortable locking, unlocking, dialing, and locking turrets back between targets on the clock. They work that smooth on this one.

The magnification ring is slightly stiffer than others I’ve had. But in a good way. Absolutely no need for a throw lever as always.

I did a couple “blind” tests. I had the optic mounted on a tripod and would start at a random distance inside 25yds and move backwards until the optic was parallax free. I did this several times and landed at 24.7 *yards* every time. This is about 22.5 *meters* and well inside the spec of 25 meters. It will focus clear much closer than that. But it’s absolutely parallax free at 24.7, which is good news for the .22 crowd.

I then did a few of the same tests at distances around 300yds to see how the numbers on the parallax knob line up to the real world. The first was 300yds on the knob. Lased at 297yds. Next was 350yds on the knob and was 343 lased. I still need to check at distance, but so far it lines up perfect (meaning you can dial your distance in for the range and be pretty close if not parallax free and in focus).

Also, the picture was in perfect focus when it was parallax free.

The rest of the optic is the same as it’s always been. I’d still like to see the illumination have hard detents or something, but not a big deal (I feel like I need to have at least one “complaint.”)

Now, onto the reticle. I have only dry fired so far and will he actually shooting out to ~950 tomorrow. I will test spotting impacts/misses inside of the tree when holding instead of dialing.

I can read the entire reticle all the way down to about 8-10x. By read, I mean it’s completely useable down to that power. I can see every .2/.5/1mil hash/dot/circle in the entire tree to use.

With the area around the floating dot being slightly wider than the mpct2, it gives the shooter the feeling of being more precise. It’s the same size dot, but the added area around it makes it really niceZ

The circles (and the dots in the tree) really make this reticle “transparent”. When you’re not needing the tree, it seems like it dissapears.

The ranging funnel is high enough it’s not really even a factor.

Over the next few days I’ll be shooting quite a bit out to 950. I’ll experiment dialing and holding. The next match I get to, I’ll use only holds for the match so I can get a good feel for the potential of this reticle.

Generally I hate grid style reticles. But ZCO has combined so many popular and eye pleasing features that as long as performs as well as I think it will, it will become my standard/favorite reticle choice.

I’ll update this post as I get more rounds on this reticle.

***Update***

Since the original post I have ~200 rnds live fire and probably ~1000 dryfire with the mpct3.

My experience mirrors @MTETM so I won’t go into super fine detail just to basically reword what he posted (which is excellent review).

Key Points:

Trace: haven’t had a decent day for this yet so unknown

Clutter: basically none. I’ve used the reticle for holds out to 930yds (6.3 mil) and haven’t had a shot yet that I couldn’t account for.

Ease of use: The main reticle windage is superb. Every .2 .5 and 1mil is easily found without counting. Hopefully I’ll be able to get in some mover shooting in May, but I’m expecting it to get very fast.

Tree/grid is probably the best mix of precise and still open viewing. I think @lowlight makes good point on most recent podcast. You don’t see anyone who has time and opportunity (F class benchrest etc) and is at the top of their game using holdovers. So, I think anytime a reticle designer gets too detailed with their tree/grid they are sacrificing FOV for fine measurements that should be dialed and not held.

Holdovers should be faster shots inside 600 or ELR shots when out of adjustments. And both will be have large enough targets that fine measurements aren’t needed.

I think ZCO did a good job of favoring FOV with the dots/circles. Each 1 Mil x 1mil square is wide open inside the square and is very easy to bracket properly.

Since I always like to add a “complaint”, the only one I could find was when using tree and holding 6.3 elevation and .5-.7 mph wind, I had to either double check from the labeled 4 mil vertical or look laterally for the labeled 6mil. Which isn’t a big deal at all. Just something I noticed myself doing. And to be fair, I don’t holdover much. This is likely eliminated through practice.

Ranging Funnel: works as described. The mirage has been pretty bad here. So ranging at 900+ isn’t too realistic (reticle ranging past 600 is always pretty spotty in general for a plethora of reasons). I already knew the ipsc was 930, and I was getting about 950 with funnel. But due to mirage, I can’t honestly say my knowledge of the range was guiding me to that.

Inside 600 I was able to range and make impacts easily. And there is a fudge factor (in a good way) you can exploit. I had an 8” circle that is 309yds. I used the 9” (center line to 18” side) to range it. Came up with 350yds. Alternated between dialing and holding 350 dope and was 100% on impacts. Did this for several targets between 200-600 and was 100% on impacts using the dope the funnel called for.

They could easily stop the funnel at 700 and it would easily accomplish the intended use.

Conclusion: I typically dislike grid reticles. But this one is “different.” So much so that I’ll be spending the money to change over to mpct3 on all optics.

Last edited:
    We sure do appreciate the time you've spent on this initial review, and are very happy you like the new reticle so far. We are looking forward to hearing your thoughts after sending rounds down range and really working with the reticle.

Getting my zco527 with MPCT3 before the weekend with some luck.

Going to stretch it out to 1000m+ during the weekend if that's the case.
    Also try out the ranging wedge, as i have a bunch of loaded 80 gr eld m to burn in my 22 BR(changing to 88 gr).

Starts to get excited now...

Getting my zco527 with MPCT3 before the weekend with some luck.

Going to stretch it out to 1000m+ during the weekend if that's the case.
    Also try out the ranging wedge, as i have a bunch of loaded 80 gr eld m to burn in my 22 BR(changing to 88 gr).

Starts to get excited now...
    Looking forward to hearing your feedback as well! The Fatal Funnel uses the inner edge of the outermost lines making the funnel. So when using for 12" or 18" targets, the range is read right where the left and right target edges touch the inner edges of the funnel.

You'll also notice the center line helps you get the funnel true to the target instead of being canted, so a closer range.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: CSTactical
    With the area around the floating dot being slightly wider than the mpct2, it gives the shooter the feeling of being more precise. It’s the same size dot, but the added area around it makes it really nice

This is something I’ve been noticing as reticles get more detailed. I feel the lack of open space around a small center dot, makes some of the popular reticles harder to use, especially at mid to lower power. Maybe that’s more competition oriented.

Nice!

While I could do without the funnel it’s in an area I rarely use.
    I like that tenths are in a quite useful area.

Honestly it looks like a Christmas tree version of the H2CMR and ranging portion above it.

Take another closer look, there are more differences than similarities. But the open circles definitely give it that initial feel on first glance. Customers that have used the H2CMR before will be comfortable right away with our MPCT3.

Honestly it looks like a Christmas tree version of the H2CMR and ranging portion above it.

Every reticle on the market is going to have features you see in other reticles. That’s the nature of it after so many years and reticles. There’s not a single one out there you couldn’t say this about.

This would be the same as saying “it has a crosshair, so it looks like the first reticle ever made.”

This reticle has a lot of features you may see in other reticles, as well as its own features. I haven’t seen one with them all combined like this, which makes it its’s own unique reticle.

Every reticle on the market is going to have features you see in other reticles. That’s the nature of it after so many years and reticles. There’s not a single one out there you couldn’t say this about.

This would be the same as saying “it has a crosshair, so it looks like the first reticle ever made.”

This reticle has a lot of features you may see in other reticles, as well as its own features. I haven’t seen one with them all combined like this, which makes it its’s own unique reticle.
    See Primary Arms reticles bahaha

I have the MPCT 2 reticle on my 5-27 ZCO, does it cost anything to have it changed over to the MPCT3?

I’m not sure on the cost. I’d give zco a call for something like that. There may also be a wait time depending on how many of the reticles are spoken for already.

Instead of starting a new thread on the MPCT3, I thought I would post my thoughts here. Thanks...

MPCT3

Impressions. I don’t think I can do the reticle any justice without providing some background and some of my philosophy. I only have 60 live rounds under the MCPT3. I have thousands spinning the knob on the MPCT1 and many hundred spinning and holding with the MPCT2. I made a decision to shoot holdoffs this year and spoke for one of the first MPCT3 when they were announced. I have spent many hours this winter and early spring dry firing with the MPCT1 and mixed live fire with the MPCT2 to gain a better handle on my techniques and the nuances of being fast while holding. My personal intent is to break only solid shots that will be on target. With that I have a basic dry fire course I use to warm up and get my mind working each morning. It is 10 shots from 3 positions, building each position and transitioning in 90 seconds. Most days I can break all 10 shots with about 6 seconds remaining. I use 400 (1.8), 500 (2.5), and 700 (4.3) mil holds. All winter this was done without thought of the wind. Just learning where those holds are and getting comfortable. Now, I received my MCPT3 on Monday and started live and dry fire practice. Opinions: I really like the reticle! But… nothing will come of it as a benefit without lots of practice and becoming acquainted with it and the small feature that will make it fast. The last couple of days doing my normal drill, I have been over time from 3 to 10 seconds. Why, I am adding a wind value to each range and I must find the hold plus wind. Here is where practice and attention to the detail in the MPCT3 come into play. I am very confident that I will be back to my normal times while holding wind in the next few days and practice with the reticle will be the key.

At my 1.8 hold, there are dots along the bottom at 2.0 mils and there is not a set of dots on the vertical, and there is only 1 open dot above at the 1 mil line. This is fast, I can see with my peripheral vision the above single dot and the line below, therefore I know I am in the 1-2 mil range. FAST. I can use the bottom dots to line my wind. 400 is .6 at 10fv, so the big open dot at 1mil is the low right side of my 1 moa (.3 mil) target and I am good to go. I have a solid reference to concentrate on for my break, and I know by the lack of vertical dots that I am in the correct elevation.

500 yards: 2.5 mil. This is the first set of ranges that have vertical dots below my hold range at the end of each of the 1 mil squares. I can see I have no vertical above the 3.0 mil box, so I know I am in the correct range and I have 2 mils of open dots on the 2.0 line and 3 sets of open dots on the 3.0 mil line. Again this is a fast reference and the small dots give me a wind reference. At 500 a 10 FV is .7 and again peripheral vision shows not vertical lines and 3 dots below, I am in the correct elevation range. My .3 mil target can be the right edge of my target and just either above 2.0 mil dot or just below 3.0 mil dot, or I concentrate on the center section in the open space and the left side of the open dots. Fast references.

700 yards is 4.3 mils elevation. Fast vertical reference is the .1 holds between 4 and 5 mils. This is very visible in the periphery. For a 10fv I am at 1.0 mil. I simple find the .1’s see the first open dot, split the .2 and .4 small dots and I have a solid focus point for my shot. There is also a small “4” right on the vertical and again to the right of the 3rd open dot at 3.0 mils.

Now, lots of folks have expressed concerns with the fast funnel. I have ranged several targets with it, granted I know the ranges of the targets, but I have set the target in the funnel, read the approx. value, held the dope for the read range and hit the targets. I will grant most of these are 1.5 to 2 + moa targets, but I have not had an issue. When shooting, I do not even notice the funnel. It is a non-issue to me. Trace blocking, good question. I shot several rounds at 1300 and 1700, no trace to be seen, not even the spotter in the bino’s so no comment. But if you are holding elevation, with any reticle, you will have reticle in the direct vertical, or if using any hold off reticle, you will have something “in the way”. So to me so far, not an issue. I do like it for fast ranging. I will need more practice since I have been milling targets for years..

Seeing splash. We purposely shot at the 600 yard, 1 moa target with lots of stuff around it to see how the reticle would be for splash. My hold is 3.3 and I had about 1.2 mils of wind. I was able to see every splash, this is with soft dirt around, no big dust signature. We did the same at 900 with a 6.3 hold and 1.8 or so wind. Again, the reticle did not obscure my ability to see the splash in the dirt. This target also has soft soil and no dust plume. We then dialed and shot at 1300 and 1700, the big open area around the center dot allows great vision and I was able to spot all the impacts, both on target and the misses.

At this point I am very pleased with the reticle. I am sure with more training and practice I will become much faster and on targets larger than 1 moa the holds will be very simple.

I like the open dots. I am sold on them. They flat work and are easy to pickup rapidly.

Overall, the entire thought process in the reticle is very good. Great work to the ZCOMP folks for a very well thought out system for the shooting industry.

***Update***

Since the original post I have ~200 rnds live fire and probably ~1000 dryfire with the mpct3.

My experience mirrors @MTETM so I won’t go into super fine detail just to basically reword what he posted (which is excellent review).

Key Points:

Trace: haven’t had a decent day for this yet so unknown

Clutter: basically none. I’ve used the reticle for holds out to 930yds (6.3 mil) and haven’t had a shot yet that I couldn’t account for.

Ease of use: The main reticle windage is superb. Every .2 .5 and 1mil is easily found without counting. Hopefully I’ll be able to get in some mover shooting in May, but I’m expecting it to get very fast.

Tree/grid is probably the best mix of precise and still open viewing. I think @lowlight makes good point on most recent podcast. You don’t see anyone who has time and opportunity (F class benchrest etc) and is at the top of their game using holdovers. So, I think anytime a reticle designer gets too detailed with their tree/grid they are sacrificing FOV for fine measurements that should be dialed and not held.

Holdovers should be faster shots inside 600 or ELR shots when out of adjustments. And both will be have large enough targets that fine measurements aren’t needed.

I think ZCO did a good job of favoring FOV with the dots/circles. Each 1 Mil x 1mil square is wide open inside the square and is very easy to bracket properly.

Since I always like to add a “complaint”, the only one I could find was when using tree and holding 6.3 elevation and .5-.7 mph wind, I had to either double check from the labeled 4 mil vertical or look laterally for the labeled 6mil. Which isn’t a big deal at all. Just something I noticed myself doing. And to be fair, I don’t holdover much. This is likely eliminated through practice.

Ranging Funnel: works as described. The mirage has been pretty bad here. So ranging at 900+ isn’t too realistic (reticle ranging past 600 is always pretty spotty in general for a plethora of reasons). I already knew the ipsc was 930, and I was getting about 950 with funnel. But due to mirage, I can’t honestly say my knowledge of the range was guiding me to that.

Inside 600 I was able to range and make impacts easily. And there is a fudge factor (in a good way) you can exploit. I had an 8” circle that is 309yds. I used the 9” (center line to 18” side) to range it. Came up with 350yds. Alternated between dialing and holding 350 dope and was 100% on impacts. Did this for several targets between 200-600 and was 100% on impacts using the dope the funnel called for.

They could easily stop the funnel at 700 and it would easily accomplish the intended use.

Conclusion: I typically dislike grid reticles. But this one is “different.” So much so that I’ll be spending the money to change over to mpct3 on all optics.

Apologies for bumping an aged thread, but I was curious if you anyone (@Dthomas3523, @MTETM) had a chance to watch trace with the MPCT3. Namely, as some of the other threads have also inquired, does the funnel obscure or make it more difficult to spot trace in your experience or is it a non-issue?

Thanks!

Apologies for bumping an aged thread, but I was curious if you anyone (@Dthomas3523, @MTETM) had a chance to watch trace with the MPCT3. Namely, as some of the other threads have also inquired, does the funnel obscure or make it more difficult to spot trace in your experience or is it a non-issue?

Thanks!

Non issue. Also, very few people consistently see their trace. Though it’s definitely dependent on where you normally shoot.

Would be great to get some long term feedback on this reticle. From what I've seen online here they've only been available to general public for about a month or two (?). Anyone have any real-world shot of it thru the scope? Looks great on paper/ and in overlays of images on the computer.

Would be great to get some long term feedback on this reticle. From what I've seen online here they've only been available to general public for about a month or two (?). Anyone have any real-world shot of it thru the scope? Looks great on paper/ and in overlays of images on the computer.

There should be some through optic pics already posted.

I’ve had several for as long as they have been available. My long term is the same as my initial. Very fast and uncluttered reticle while providing everything you need.

Non issue. Also, very few people consistently see their trace. Though it’s definitely dependent on where you normally shoot.
    Thanks. Yeah, I know its a challenge to see it yourself and depends on target, backdrop, environmentals etc that make it easier or harder...that said given how some of the top shooters see it on most shots that would be the goal to work towards; I just don't want to make it any harder than it already is (if the fatal funnel blocks it).

Through the scope photos can be found in this thread (including some by Dthomas3523): https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/zero-compromise-optic-mpct3-reticle.6981493/

Our MPCT3 is now our top selling reticle. As @Dthomas3523 points out, this reticle has a great balance enhancing speed and efficiency. I've been using mine since we started shipping these reticles and have had to use holdovers a few different times. Spotting impacts through the grid was never an issue, and speed on finding hold points was nice.

They have been available since April of this year, we have tons of happy customers using this reticle and we sell quite a bit of them. Feel free to contact us for more information at 916-670-1103 :)

I've been using the MPCT3 since late May, 2020....maybe early June....anyway...the reticle is the best 'for me'....that I've ever shot with. Everything is in the eye of the beholder...but for me...it is the best thing I've used to date in about 40 years of shooting. The ability to quickly gather and put to use data from shot to shot is leaps and bounds over other tree reticles. The open circles allow you to see more...and gives your brain a better reference point between Mils. The crispness of the reticle is insane if you want to dive down into that level of scrutiny.

The open circles also allow the reticle to blend into the background when you aren't looking for it...to see trace....and at the same time...really pops when you are trying to focus on a holdover with wind hold....it tricks my brain...but all done seamless without me thinking too hard....because good things never happen when I try to think too hard.

To be blunt....you really can't look at pics on the interwebs or take second hand accounts from people you don't really know....you absolutely have to get behind one and see for yourself. It may not be the perfect reticle for you...at this time in your shooting career....it may be something you will revisit years down the road and go with...or it may be one of those tears of joy moment when you've finally found 'the one'.

My only negative advice is....if you truly can't afford one....then don't look through one....I've seen several people look through mine and have that look on their face....I know that look...that look of they just looked through an Alpha class scope...and they want it...they need it...but there is no way they can justify it to their wives...or eat enough Top Ramen...to ever afford it....and now..they will go back to their lessor scope...and shooting won't be as pleasurable as it used to be..... so sad :(

I have 2 ZC scopes mpct 1 and mpct 2 and like them both.The mpct 1 reticle is what I hunt with and it works out great for that.Maybe on my 3rd ZC purchase I will try the mpct 3 those circles look like they would work real nice.

I love my MPCT3 I have had it since the first batch came out. To me it is the best reticle I have found but I have not compared side by side to a couple others that I have liked and sold. I have been torn on getting another one for my next optic to match or a TT gen 3 xr and since winter is coming I have decided to get a gen 3 xr to do a direct comparison over the winter and decide which I prefer along with other small features not related to reticle. But if you can swing it and even slightly like it in pictures I would recommend getting one. It is truly amazing how much of it disappears when focusing on the center dot and wind holds but magically comes into view when you want to use the tree. Fatal funnel... I pretty much forget it has it until someone says something or I decide to look at it in reference to a target.

My *personal* issue with the gen3xr was the way they sized their .2 hash marks.

They way they just increase in size had me counting them instead of using them intuitively. I ran it for about 4 months and was still counting.

Again, that was just my personal experience with it. Others find it very intuitive for them.

My *personal* issue with the gen3xr was the way they sized their .2 hash marks.

They way they just increase in size had me counting them instead of using them intuitively. I ran it for about 4 months and was still counting.

Again, that was just my personal experience with it. Others find it very intuitive for them.

Oh great! That was always my though too, but thought I sold Gen 3 xr down the road too soon. Now I’m second guessing. But really want to try side by side even though my gut says just get another mpct3. I think I’ll move forward as planned and put as many rounds down each as I can this winter and decide by spring.

Reactions: gebhardt02
    Oh great! That was always my though too, but thought I sold Gen 3 xr down the road too soon. Now I’m second guessing. But really want to try side by side even though my gut says just get another mpct3. I think I’ll move forward as planned and put as many rounds down each as I can this winter and decide by spring.

I say go for it. You can’t go wrong with Alpha optics. If you don’t like it, you don’t lose much if you want to sell them.

Reactions: gebhardt02
    I say go for it. You can’t go wrong with Alpha optics. If you don’t like it, you don’t lose much if you want to sell them.

That’s my thought give it a few months while I can run though a comparison shooting local matches and at the house with both and see what is the most intuitive and easiest to use along with best features.