• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MRAD 338 reload problems

jdppilot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2023
Kentucky
I have been reloading 338L for several years with my RPR with no issues. I purchased a MRAD and the cases get stuck in the barrel. My dies do not compress the case enough to work in the MRAD (new dies)... any suggestions?

Sounds like either that chamber is at minimum spec and the dies are big or you are overpressure and getting too much plastic deformation in the brass wh8ch the die cannot compress enough.

Reactions: diverdon
How much are you bumping back the shoulder right now? This is just something your going to have to work around. Each rifle has its process/recipe some are simple and others are complicated. Bust out the sharpe, paint a case and chamber it. I wouldn't buy anything just yet till you figure out where its sticking.

From the best I can tell it is sticking near the base of the case. The reloaded case is a couple of thousands larger at the base than the new brass and my RCBS dies will not compress it back to original size. FYI..I have fired that brass in the RPR and that may have expanded it to a larger diameter, but I thought that the full case resizer would have narrowed that back down?

From the best I can tell it is sticking near the base of the case. The reloaded case is a couple of thousands larger at the base than the new brass and my RCBS dies will not compress it back to original size. FYI..I have fired that brass in the RPR and that may have expanded it to a larger diameter, but I thought that the full case resizer would have narrowed that back down?

Sometimes cases fired in a larger chamber won’t size down far enough to fit in a smaller chamber.

Get new brass.

I chambered a reloaded round last night and it stuck so bad I had to remove the barrel and take a brass rod and hammer to get the bullet out.

Yeah, I was going to say start over with new brass and likely the dies won't have an issue.

I chambered a reloaded round last night and it stuck so bad I had to remove the barrel and take a brass rod and hammer to get the bullet out.
Where you able to fully chamber the loaded round? Where you able to chamber a empty case? Might not be a bad idea to take a look at the chamber. Sharpe is your friend.

Last edited:
I could not fully chamber a reloaded round, but with new/not reloaded round, it chambered fine.

I am thinking the Barrett has a tighter chamber that the RPS and that is causing my problems with the reloads.

Sorry if I missed this above ... you're full-length sizing ... right? I can tell you with my Reading Type-S FL sizing die ... my 338-LM cases are sized just fine and extract perfectly every time from my Barrett MRAD.

Reactions: Northman623
Problem solved, thanks for everyone's help.
Dumb mistake on my part. I was only neck resizing the cases with my die which worked well while I was only shooting them from the Ruger. The chamber in the Ruger was larger that the Barrett and the reloaded cases had stretched to large for the Barrett.

Reactions: TylerN
Problem solved, thanks for everyone's help.
Dumb mistake on my part. I was only neck resizing the cases with my die which worked well while I was only shooting them from the Ruger. The chamber in the Ruger was larger that the Barrett and the reloaded cases had stretched to large for the Barrett.
So full-length sizing solved the problem ... right?

Full-length sizing worked
Good show ... BTW ... that's the only sizing I do. You'll get lots of debates on the other side, but I've proven to myself that a properly bumped shoulder, case trimmed correctly, and full-length sized ... will always chamber and always extract. Happy shooting !!!