• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MRAD reticle with capped turrets, does it exist?

x2cross

Joe Dirtè
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Mathis, TX
    I'm trying to challenge myself and learn to shoot with just the reticle. Is there a scope out there that is 5-25 power and has capped turrets? FFP. Christmas tree reticle, or even a basic mil-dot would be fine. I've looked at the Sighttron models, but they're only offered in MOA or duplex as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, I know I could just keep my grubby lil fingers off the turrets, but really want capped turrets. Will be replacing a Razor HD 5-20 on my Bergara 22

Yup, and also would be protected from accidental bumps. And lemme stop you before you say just get locking turrets. When I beat someone at a match, I need to be able to prove I did it no-dial

• Haha
    Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    Just wrap the turrets with tape.
    That would be my suggestion.

To the OP..I wasn't going to go the "locking turret" route, as I believe locking turrets are a cure for a problem that doesn't exist.

But I learned a training trick from Jake Vibbert where you tape your turret and have a partner give a slight spin to your windage and elevation. You then fire a shot at a distant target with a good backdrop and fire a second shot using only your reticle to correct. Then try to answer your partner on how much he dialed your turrets.

80% of shooters don't use enough correction while doing this drill and answer incorrectly what their partner dialed.

You want to be reticle dependent? Throw a couple wraps of electricians tape around your dial. Trust me, it'll work.

Reactions: x2cross

To the OP..I wasn't going to go the "locking turret" route, as I believe locking turrets are a cure for a problem that doesn't exist.

But I learned a training trick from Jake Vibbert where you tape your turret and have a partner give a slight spin to your windage and elevation. You then fire a shot at a distant target with a good backdrop and fire a second shot using only your reticle to correct. Then try to answer your partner on how much he dialed your turrets.

80% of shooters don't use enough correction while doing this drill and answer incorrectly what their partner dialed.

You want to be reticle dependent? Throw a couple wraps of electricians tape around your dial. Trust me, it'll work.

The first time you pull the rifle out if a case and hear the turrets zip, you'll know why I only buy locking turrets...

So you want capped turrets for bragging rights? That's a solid don't care from me.

You can use any scope without using the turrets. Seems like you're asking for exactly what nobody else wants so you'll never find it.

The first time you pull the rifle out if a case and hear the turrets zip, you'll know why I only buy locking turrets...

So you want capped turrets for bragging rights? That's a solid don't care from me.

You can use any scope without using the turrets. Seems like you're asking for exactly what nobody else wants so you'll never find it.
    I've done it all of once in 8 years of avid competition and hunting. In 3 gun you pull your AR in and out of your bag all day. Same with hunting, I have horses and the rifle is in and out of the scabbard all day.

I spun a windage turret once but caught it in my pre stage check. I've never spun an elevation turret. And capped windage offerings are becoming common.

Locking turrets are obsolete to anyone who takes one second to look at their turrets. And I suppose I'm a little jaded over it. The only scope I've ever busted was my Leupy MK8 CQBSS. The locking mechanism broke in a 3 gun match and I couldn't unlock it to turn the turrets. Took forever to get it replaced. Its actually the reason I bought my first Burris and ended up on their shooting team. So maybe it was a good thing 🤣

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Rob01 and RFutch

I'm gonna have to try that drill. Sounds like fun

Maybe locking turrets with the dials taped will work for me. It's just weird that there aren't any capped scopes with just a good MRAD reticle. Only ones are freakin MOA

Reactions: Birddog6424
    I've done it all of once in 8 years of avid competition and hunting. In 3 gun you pull your AR in and out of your bag all day. Same with hunting, I have horses and the rifle is in and out of the scabbard all day.

I spun a windage turret once but caught it in my pre stage check. I've never spun an elevation turret. And capped windage offerings are becoming common.

Locking turrets are obsolete to anyone who takes one second to look at their turrets. And I suppose I'm a little jaded over it. The only scope I've ever busted was my Leupy MK8 CQBSS. The locking mechanism broke in a 3 gun match and I couldn't unlock it to turn the turrets. Took forever to get it replaced. Its actually the reason I bought my first Burris and ended up on their shooting team. So maybe it was a good thing 🤣
    I accidently spun a windage turret on a call out once.
    Locking or capped windage is a must for me.
    Locking/capped or a zero stop for elevation, unless they are very stiff turrets like the Cronus

Sightron Pinnacle. Had one. Tracks fine. Turrets aren't as crispy as I would have liked but... it's a Japanese LOW optic. Glass was good.

You can also go for locking turrets... same "protection from accidental spins" in the end. Doesn't protect the turret itself, I guess, but... never had an issue.

Sightron Pinnacle. Had one. Tracks fine. Turrets aren't as crispy as I would have liked but... it's a Japanese LOW optic. Glass was good.
    It's a shame they discontinued those.
    They were probably one of the best "bang for your buck" scopes out there.
    Very forgiving eyebox, very easy to get behind.

It's a shame they discontinued those.
    They were probably one of the best "bang for your buck" scopes out there.
    Very forgiving eyebox, very easy to get behind.

You can find them out there. I saw one on Amazon a month ago when I sold mine to try and price it... haven't checked since. I sold mine just because I wanted better turrets... I was annoyed during a match or even at the bench having to be so careful about hitting my mark. The feel was a little... light and gummy in a way on mine. Tracked fine, though. Otherwise it was a great scope. Nobody bought them though...

I have a 4-16 Meopta you can buy, skeleton mil dot, mil clicks, lit center. Don't think there is a 5-25 made perhaps a NF benchrest??

OP just get locking turrets. You can wrap them if you want to prove something to someone but locking turrets, especially windage, is a good thing to have. Not so much in the barricade benchrest matches now but if you ever shoot matches that require movement or getting into smaller positions then it will help and until then it will do what you need.

Reactions: x2cross