• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MSAR VS. PS90

gryphthemyth

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Arion, Iowa
Anyone in here owned both the MSAR and the PS90? I am looking for some opinions on comparison of the two weapon systems, not the rounds they fire, the weapons themselves.

Re: MSAR VS. PS90

PS90 is shorter and lighter. The magazine does not protrude. The optic can be a weak point in a comparison but there's a company that makes an LED add on to light the reticle, or you can replace it outright with a mini-acog and be good to go.

The MSAR has the ability to switch barrels. However if you want to SBR either of them you will still end up with a shorter weapon with the PS90.

Completely disregarding the ammunition angle I prefer the PS90. However, if I was heading into a gunfight, I'd grab the MSAR because of the increased power and availability of 5.56 over the 5.7x28.

MSAR on left, with the PS90.

001027071754.jpg

Thats some good info thanks. Is there any cons between the two that are notorious problems? What is the reliability between the two (Jamming, mag problems, etc.)?

I haven't had reliability issues with either, they both seem to be very reliable platforms.

In the same day I got to fire a Steyr AUG in Full-auto and a P90 in Full-auto. Not that it means anything to this post but the P90 was far easier to keep on target because of lighter recoil and a larger, both-eyes-open optic to look thru. By the time I had the AUG zeroed I had already almost emptied the mag! The P90 was like aiming a hose... Marvelous!

Had a PS90 and loved it, but sold it after Obama got elected for fear of magazines being too expensive.

I just sent payment off yesterday for my MSAR E4 black optics rail carbine. The one thing that I really like is that my supply of Pmags will work with the MSAR and my AR's.

I still may eventually buy another PS90, but am not sure if I want to hassle with 5.7 ammo.

Thats a point I did not know. I thought the MSAR mags were specific. It takes AR mags? I have a few PMAGs laying around but I tend to stay a bit old school and usually use my steel mags.

MSARs are fantastic rifles. the E4 takes ar mags and has bolt hold open. The barrels are quick change and a breeze to clean up. I would not get the factory optic, there are too many better aftermarket optics out there.

The 5.7 ammo to me is a limiting factor.

The 16" MSAR is just about the same OAL as an 11.5" AR15. It also is pretty light shooting and the 5.56 is a much more powerful round than the 5.7. I really want to like the PS90 (I've owned two), but it just isn't worth the money.

The MSAR also suppresses really well.

How about the ejection port? The ejection of the PS90 is down through the weapon and the MSAR is up opposite the face. Any problems or concerns there?

The ejection port is not an issue on the MSAR until you transition to shoot weak side or in my case left handed then you better remember to cant the weapon or get brass in the face.

cool thanks. I am really starting to lean towards the MSAR. It is just the "thats different" factor that still clings with the PS90.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gryphthemyth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the ejection port? The ejection of the PS90 is down through the weapon and the MSAR is up opposite the face. Any problems or concerns there?</div></div>

What's your use for the weapon? I've never had ejection port issues with either one; with the PS90 you can use it with either hand, with the MSAR you would need to set it up to shoot lefty.

In almost every situation 5.56x45 > 5.7x28

I prefer Steyr AUG for many reasons, and think that MSAR comes closest to the original - capabilities, reliabilities, design and ergonomics. So in PS90 vs. AUG/MSAR my vote is for MSAR. <span style="font-style: italic">Caveat: I haven't tried PS90 myself.</span>

I've got both. The PS90 is great fun. It's also a fantastic gun for wives, kids and new shooters. It's easy to operate, very compact, reliable as hell, fully ambidextrous, fairly quiet and has minimal recoil. I'd be comfortable trusting it for home defense. Putting multiple rounds on target with speed and accuracy is a breeze.

Fair warning......if you let a bikini clad woman shoot it, the downward ejection will probably leave a burn or two on her sixpack or thigh (or worse). If you smell burning nylon/spandex/flesh tell them to do 5 jumping jacks as an immediate action drill.

The MSAR is not truly ambidextrous...but that can be overcome with technique and practice. You CAN shoot it from your weak side if you have to.

The E4 version is compatible with mags you probably already have. It's compact...adequately accurate and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. There's also the possibility of caliber conversions if MSAR ever comes through with them. One of the reasons I bought the E4 was the possibility of 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 6.8SPC conversions.

I love them both but if I had to choose one it would be the MSAR.

Thanks to everyone for the great info and opinions. I think I am swinging towards the MSAR E4 and maybe try and pick up the PS90 down the road. Luckily I still have time to think about until my guns sell that I have chose to part with. Besides if I went with the PS90 it would only be responsible to get the pistol to lol.

Was at a gun show and saw an MSAR. The dealer there told me that the brass can be made to eject the other way, and there does appear to be a port on the other side that is plugged. Anyone know about the switch?

Doesn't help the weak hand problem in a pinch, but certainly does make the option attractive for daily lefty shooting.

The MSAR can easily be switched from left to right side ejection, no tools required.
You do, however, need to purchase a "left handed" bolt.

wish they made the ps90 in 5.56 but the mag would be huge on top haha

LMAO immediate action drill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58MOD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got both. The PS90 is great fun. It's also a fantastic gun for wives, kids and new shooters. It's easy to operate, very compact, reliable as hell, fully ambidextrous, fairly quiet and has minimal recoil. I'd be comfortable trusting it for home defense. Putting multiple rounds on target with speed and accuracy is a breeze.

Fair warning......if you let a bikini clad woman shoot it, the downward ejection will probably leave a burn or two on her sixpack or thigh (or worse). If you smell burning nylon/spandex/flesh tell them to do 5 jumping jacks as an immediate action drill.

The MSAR is not truly ambidextrous...but that can be overcome with technique and practice. You CAN shoot it from your weak side if you have to.

The E4 version is compatible with mags you probably already have. It's compact...adequately accurate and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. There's also the possibility of caliber conversions if MSAR ever comes through with them. One of the reasons I bought the E4 was the possibility of 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 6.8SPC conversions.

I love them both but if I had to choose one it would be the MSAR.

</div></div>

I took mine to our family range today with my brother in law. I have the 16", he has the 20". I hadn't been in a while and I was pretty amped up.

I think the gun can do better with some love to the trigger and less coffee in the shooter. This is 100yds with 75gr TAP.

gallery_15_92_129663.jpg

The range

gallery_15_92_25734.jpg

16" and 20" E4's

gallery_15_92_93034.jpg

My nephew eating goldfish

gallery_15_92_186090.jpg

View of targets at 5x

gallery_15_92_78004.jpg

6" shoot n' c

gallery_15_92_130244.jpg

This was pretty average for the day. I'll do better next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wish they made the ps90 in 5.56 but the mag would be huge on top haha </div></div>

Well there is the FN FS2000, but I did not like it very much at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MSAR can easily be switched from left to right side ejection, no tools required.
You do, however, need to purchase a "left handed" bolt.
</div></div>

Got it. Thanks!

He was mostly drilling the mini-gongs with the 20" gun. When he did shoot one of the shoot n' c targets it was about the same. 2" or so with black hills.

Those are some nice shooters. Well I have started to try and snoop some trades. Since I do not have snough posts to throw my guns up in here yet I threw it on Cheaper than dirt ads and Texas Gun trader. I'm hoping to see an MSAR in my future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gryphthemyth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone in here owned both the MSAR and the PS90? I am looking for some opinions on comparison of the two weapon systems, not the rounds they fire, the weapons themselves. </div></div>

I would much prefer the MSAR. The reason being the PS90 fires a puny little round that I don't feel is adiquate for self defense. Especially in a semi auto. The MSAR is a 5.56 which is much more powerfull.
Pat

Shane,

I understand if you're restricted on your comments by employment or similar, but with so many people looking to buy the E4 it would be a heck of a public service to let people know what you know.
smile.gif

I know this is an older thread, but, Shand45 could you please answer the question? I'm thinking about getting an E4 in the very near future, so if there is something awry in the company I would really like to know.

Thanks,
Marty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: looty24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is an older thread, but, Shand45 could you please answer the question? I'm thinking about getting an E4 in the very near future, so if there is something awry in the company I would really like to know.

Thanks,
Marty </div></div>

I am looking at an E4 too and would like to know if there is a issue or if it is just your gut feeling that something may not be right about the company.

I don't think Shane45 would openly discuss anything over a public forum, however if you PM him MAYBE he might spill the beans on his opinion about the MSAR and its future.

Company bashing on this forum is strictly enforced as to not "start rumors". I think that's why he won't reply here.

Just PM him or email, thats the easiest way.