• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing MSC promo code (expires tomorrow) & question

Stringer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
PRK
MSC/J&L is having promotions on measuring tools (code MEAS30WA) and power transmission (code PT35WA), and the offer ends tomorrow. MSC link

Since I am getting tired of using the generic common-use tools at the shop, I thought this would be a good time to invest in some quality measuring instruments. When I need to do something better than +/- 0.005, I borrow other guy's Mitutoyo and Starrett calipers and micrometers. I'd like something of comparable quality, and I will buy Mitutoyo or Starrett if that means I just cry once. Of course, if I can get away with cheaper, I'd like to do that
smile.gif

What are your brand name recommendations for:
Calipers
Micrometer
Edge finder
Combo square

Would I be wasting my time with Fowler, Browne & Sharpe, or SPI?

Thanks in advance! Hope someone besides me gets to take advantage of this deal.
smile.gif

Re: MSC promo code (expires tomorrow) & question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would I be wasting my time with Fowler, Browne & Sharpe, or SPI?</div></div>

All would be money well spent.

Starrett is outdated on most tools.. Mitutoyo isn't Chinese, but Japanese..and the difference is directly related to US made cars VS Japanese cars..(Chevy vs Toyota).. Buy the Mitu stuff and have no fear.. BS is shit since the early 90's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stringer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What are your brand name recommendations for:
Calipers - <span style="font-weight: bold">if digital, Mitutoyo</span>
Micrometer - <span style="font-weight: bold">if digital, Mitutoyo, need to pick friction or ratchet thimble</span>
Edge finder - <span style="font-weight: bold">Starrett</span>
Combo square - <span style="font-weight: bold">Starrett, need to pick cast or forged body</span>
</div></div>

CDi,

The Mitutoyo and Starrett combo squares are pretty much the same price at MSC where he's shopping - I've been unfortunate enough to buy/use the Chinese and generic USA ones and they've all sucked. What's the point of a square that isn't? The Starretts on the other hand have been square and the chrome scales are nice. I do admit to having more time than money once and buying cheap import "precision" squares and grinding them to a couple tenths per inch, but then the insides were still off...

That Hermann Schmidt looks nice, too rich for me though.
smile.gif