• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mst-100 question

coulthard_west

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
new orleans la
sorry, i know i another one of these threads but i have no need for one, just have 2 questions. why would the military want this scope built with a 1" tube instead of the 30mm? and what is the plug on the lower oft of the scope? always been curious about this. thanks.

Re: mst-100 question

#1 answer is it was the 70's....US scope makers didn't know any better.

As to the plug, I'm guessing that's where they purged the scope with nitrogen or some other gas.

Those scopes aren't in use anymore, if there are any it's a very limited number. They were replaced by the S&B 3-12x50, MTC knobs, GenII mildot.

I am probably wrong but I thought that "plug" had something to do w/ more elevation or coil vs leaf spring or something.

The diameter of the tube has no affect on the amount of light the scope gathers.

The plug is most likely for a spring to add tension to the erector assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The diameter of the tube has no affect on the amount of light the scope gathers.

The plug is most likely for a spring to add tension to the erector assembly. </div></div>
Scopes don't gather light!

ok then, pardon my ignorance but whats the difference between the 1" and the 30mm tube then? more adjustment maybe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gotcha. i guess a few people want an expensive reminder of what used to be. cool </div></div>

a few of us also actually used these scope in the marine corp and realize how well they work and continue to appreciate them for what they are. are the newer more modern scopes on the market better? in many ways yes but i think i speak for most of the guys who have used the scope by saying the unertl is a great scope and is much like an old pair of undies , it just feels right . 3000 bucks is a lot of money for one but i would buy one in a heartbeat if i had the money and for 3000 i would still feel i got the better end of the deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok then, pardon my ignorance but whats the difference between the 1" and the 30mm tube then? more adjustment maybe? </div></div>

Yes. More adjustment range for the erector

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gotcha. i guess a few people want an expensive reminder of what used to be. cool </div></div>

I bought one because I wanted an M40A1 like the one I carried. The only scope mounted on an M40A1 was a Unertl 10x and some MST100 replacements. Since I can't buy one of the originals, THIS is the only option for an exact clone.

That is why it's worth the money.

It won't go to work with me. It won't fly to any competitions. It will just be for my enjoyment on the range. There are much better options out there and if I was going to war I would not be running a MST or Unertl 10x.

I have often thought that the US Optics SN-3 1.8-10X would make a great replacement for the MST-100. A similar scope, but with variable power. In urban use, having variable power scope gives one more field of view. In most cases, 10 power is more than enough.

true, ill have to agree with you on that one. but like lonewolf said, it works and there awesome scopes. now what i would like to see, (probably wont happen) is us optics make a unertl with a 30 mm tube just to see how how it would work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">true, ill have to agree with you on that one. but like lonewolf said, it works and there awesome scopes. now what i would like to see, (probably wont happen) is us optics make a unertl with a 30 mm tube just to see how how it would work.</div></div>

It would work exactly the same, just would need a different mount. This wont happen because it is pointless and it defeats the purpose of a "replica". It's fun to speculate, but that is not what the MST100 is for.
If you want a Modern 30mm fixed 10x then USO has their ST10 for you at about 1/3 the price of the MST100.

Does anyone have or know of someone who has a mount for the US Optics / Unertl MST-100 scope for an M40A1 build ???

Just a bit more info , the USO version of the Unertl has the plug sticking out at 45 degrees , and is the change wanted to allow the newer MST-100s to have enough elevation to zero when mounted on the new 30 moa rail they changed to , so in short if you see one with the plug/cap at 45 degrees , it has more E than the older Unertl .

Also the often sighted more light in a 30mm over 1 inche , maybe , maybe not , it would be the case if the wall thickness was the same , but mostly when on the MK4 , it was because they used a very thick wall , ie 0.10 inche .

RE : The amount of erector travel , yes & no , its relates to the tube dia , but ALSO the erector housing , ie look at both Zeiss & the MST-100 , and you will see a stepped design , to allow for the travel .

Also bare in mind that the MST-100 is Steel and not Aluminium , so it can be thiner and be just as strong as the usuall thick wall 30 & 34mm current Tac scopes .

Later Chris

Badger makes some 30mm to 1" adapter rings, both narrow and wide.

Why would USO make a MST-100 with a 30mm tube? It has enough elevation with a 1" tube and sales are about military history, not a modern scope. LoneWolfUSMC said it best.

A 30mm steel tube would just make it heavier and there are 1" mounts around for the MST-100. If you want a real Unertl mount or a USO replica, you'll have to look for one or wait until USOmakes more of them.

The plug on the erector housing is for the erector spring. It's not built like a ship in a bottle!

you guys got me wrong. im not in the market for the mst-100, nor am i looking to get something like it custom built. i was just curious about a few things and didnt want to call us optics for these stupid questions so production isnt slowed because of i am an owner of one of there fine scopes and i know just how ling we need to wait for them, thats why i asked you guys.