• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MST-100 Scope Covers?

ODCMP

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Why weren't flip-up scope covers used on the MST-100's? I've never seen them in field pictures of M40A1s or M40A3s.

You see them on the Schmidt and Benders and the Army had them on all the M24 Ultras. Even the Ar Tels and ARTIIs had them, so why not on the MST-100's?

Thanks,
Dave

I think a soft cover was issued that wrapped around the scope and action.

I also think someone was reproducing them at them at one point, but the users apparently hated them and they all ended up in land fills (or latrines) soon after they were issued.

Ive been looking for them at the couple surplus places near me but haven't found one.

I saw a fair number of Butler Creek type caps on these over the years. For a long time I thought they were purchased by the Corps and issued. As I found out later they were not.

Since I originally saw this there have been a couple on the CMP auctions that shows signs of having scope covers. One had a BC cover and some others looked like they had been painted with a scope cover in place.

Dave

We never had scope covers for the Unertls while I was carrying one from 95-01, I don't even think there was a scope cover NSN that was part of the SL3 at all, and being "SL3 Complete" was a big deal to pass inspection prior to deploying so if one existed, we would have had it at one point or another.

The #1 scope cover used by us was an old sock with a slit cut in it and a knot tied in the end, with its mate being filled with sand, beans or rice to be used as our rear elevation support. The second most popular cover was a cravat wrapped around and tucked in between the scope and the action. I fashioned up a sort of box made out of riggers tape, 550 cord and isomat for mine that I used for a while, it at least kept the water off it better and provided some minor padding. I never saw anyone use Butler Creek or similar covers on theirs, and any paint marks would more likely be from the tape used to protect the lenses during painting than from a scope cover. That of course doesn't mean some didn't use flip covers, we bought a ton of stuff for our kit that wasn't on the NSN list, just saying I never saw it in my time.

100 Mile an Hour Tape is your cover , tape em up, cut a slit in it like noted above LOL

No scope covers, no bipod, it was a long time ago, in a land far, far away,

Wasn't it an aftermarket thing to get Butler Creek covers? Seems to me that was the first place I saw flip up covers...?

Redmanss, that is great information and confirms what I suspected. I appreciate hearing a first hand report!

I may try out that sock solution, I'm already using one for the support you mentioned.

Thanks,
Dave