• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MST 100 vs NF NSX

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Ok, let the fight start! Some of you know that I have been Die Hard Night Force guy, but I have been looking at building or have built a M110/AR10. I started looking at the optics that i might place3 on her, we the USO MST 100 got my attention and went to go research it, we looks like a real nice scope, till i saw the price. Is there something in this scope that makes it worth 1.5 night force? Does it work better? I understand its fixed power (not crazy about that), but I can get a 5.5x22 for 1600 bucks. What makes it worth so much?

Oh ya, I got lost of popcorn so lets have a good and Dirty fight Gentelmen.
grin.gif

Re: MST 100 vs NF NSX

Uhh, stick with the Nightforce.. The MST-100 don't belong on an AR-10. It has it's place and it's only one, JMO. Yes , it is a fine scope and it will work... if you so desire..

Very hard to manufacture according to USO! Steel tube and pretty soon no matter what the cost you won't be able to get one! BDC is pretty neet too. I think even USO will tell you that NF is superior optically to the MST; but then again the MST is part of history.

If the price tag of the MST-100 is in your price range, I would think a comparison between a NF and a SN-3 would be more prudent. Instead of comparing an apple to a banana.

I guess thats my question, Nightforce IMO, is some of the glass there is, I like the looks of the MST 100, but is there something on that scope that makes it a 1k bucks better?

In a nutshell...no. You have to understand the MST-100 and it's history to understand the price. And yes, it is a bitch to make them..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the price tag of the MST-100 is in your price range, I would think a comparison between a NF and a SN-3 would be more prudent. Instead of comparing an apple to a banana. </div></div>

What he said. What you're essentially comparing here is a new BMW and a replica of a 1972 Barracuda. It's like you're saying "I've got 45K in hand, and I wonder if this 'Cuda will be as nice a ride as this new 330i."

Of course not- it's a fixed 10X whose pricetag comes from its attention to historical detail, *not* in any way its competitiveness against modern scopes. To see what I mean, look at USO's ST-10- that is the modern equivalent of the MST. A fixed, no nonsense 10X. Its pricetag? About $900. You're not getting much more scope for the MST. What you're getting is nostalgia and close to perfect replication.

As many on here will say, the SN-3, the S&Bs, and the new Premiers are probably what you should be comparing against
smile.gif
. Happy shopping!

So it’s nothing special with the scope, its the free market that has prices it there. Just like buying a old car then (all be it a real nice old car) Now the question, is it worth $2700 to have one, or is money better spent in other places, i guess that question is more subjective.

If you are building an M40A1 clone then it's worth having. If not spend the same money (or less) and get a SN-3 SSDS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it’s nothing special with the scope, its the free market that has prices it there. Just like buying a old car then (all be it a real nice old car) Now the question, is it worth $2700 to have one, or is money better spent in other places, i guess that question is more subjective. </div></div>

It is worth every penny of $2700. But there are better choices for your intentions.......Like the SN-3....If your thinking of flopping that kind of cash on the table.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it’s nothing special with the scope, its the free market that has prices it there. Just like buying a old car then (all be it a real nice old car) Now the question, is it worth $2700 to have one, or is money better spent in other places, i guess that question is more subjective. </div></div>

If you consider a '57 Bel Air convertible just another "like buying an old car" then you are correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And an orginal Shelby Cobra is just another muscle car. </div></div>

And that’s why I made the free Market comment, I understand that it’s a Shelby now, while some might want a new style of the Charger, so might want a General Lee and are willing to pay for it. That is the subjective part. Now knowing that, I feel that I might get one as it’s a part of history. Would it be sacrilegious to put one on anything other then a 40?

Bottom line is this... the last batch of MST-100's were built for a select few guys that are building M40 replica's or plan on building one. They will never be built again. Research them and see what they are about. If you still want it, go for it, it's your money. Like I said... for an AR-10 , go with the SN-3 SSDS for that money and let the MST-100 live where it belongs.. I don't want to take away a sale or make you feel uneasy about it, it's great scope but your money is better spent elsewhere for what you want...

I myself, don't like seeing these scopes on anything other than an M40.. And if I do, I think it's retarded but that's just my opinion...
smile.gif
I will say.. It is an investment to have one (just in case) and it's all you got to use then it's all good... You can always unload it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Would it be sacrilegious to put one on anything other then a 40? </div></div>

If I bought one I'd put it away for an M40A1 build and nothing else... but to each their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I myself, don't like seeing these scopes on anything other than an M40.. And if I do, I think it's retarded but that's just my opinion...
smile.gif
I will say.. It is an investment to have one (just in case) and it's all you got to use then it's all good... You can always unload it.. </div></div>

That’s a good point about it being a investment, now it might very well be sacrilegious for a Army guy to own a M40A3 (I like the looks better then a A1) But I never know when I might catch a M40 bug. Thx for all the info.

The MST 100 is a damn neat scope, I really like mine. Comparing them to a modern variable tactical riflescopes such as NXS,S&B,USO isnt really a comparison at all. The NXS,S&B,USO, are much, much better in all aspects.

Is the MST100 worth the billing?- Depends . Do I regret buying my MST100- No.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That’s a good point about it being a investment, now it might very well be sacrilegious for a Army guy to own a M40A3 (I like the looks better then a A1) But I never know when I might catch a M40 bug. Thx for all the info. </div></div>

Naw, I've never even been in the military, but I want to build a spec M40. I just prolly never will b/c I refuse to pay $1k+ for a return stock.... I'm just a history buff, and it strikes my fancy because of it's association with my shooting hobby.

I do plan on picking up a MST100 and mount just incase I run across some parts for a decent price, or decide to build a clone one day.

Yeah, last thing I'll say about this. No offense, Alaskaman, but it sounds to me you don't have enough of a bug to really go after this scope. What I mean is, most guys who buy this particular scope, as far as I reckon, are dead set on it and know well in advance it's what they're after. If you can be persuaded for and against based on this cursory thread, your money is probably better spent elsewhere. There are probably better investments out there for your money (gun or otherwise), and if it's functionality you're after, many, many scopes can give you more for 2.7K. I dunno- seems like chasing a collector's item on a whim is a bit wasteful, don't you think? I say, go for the state of the art unless you lugged one of these around the Mekong for a tour or two
wink.gif

Oh, also, I don't even think you can get them anymore from USO- they're already done, aren't they?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, last thing I'll say about this. No offense, Alaskaman, but it sounds to me you don't have enough of a bug to really go after this scope. What I mean is, most guys who buy this particular scope, as far as I reckon, are dead set on it and know well in advance it's what they're after. If you can be persuaded for and against based on this cursory thread, your money is probably better spent elsewhere. There are probably better investments out there for your money (gun or otherwise), and if it's functionality you're after, many, many scopes can give you more for 2.7K. I dunno- seems like chasing a collector's item on a whim is a bit wasteful, don't you think? I say, go for the state of the art unless you lugged one of these around the Mekong for a tour or two
wink.gif

Oh, also, I don't even think you can get them anymore from USO- they're already done, aren't they? </div></div>

Well them Whims have made me a ton of money in the past, I bought a German pistols turn it around for a bunch of bills. Whims are not always bad. However, I understand what you are saying here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the price tag of the MST-100 is in your price range, I would think a comparison between a NF and a SN-3 would be more prudent. Instead of comparing an apple to a banana. </div></div>

What he said. What you're essentially comparing here is a new BMW and a replica of a 1972 Barracuda. It's like you're saying "I've got 45K in hand, and I wonder if this 'Cuda will be as nice a ride as this new 330i."

Of course not- it's a fixed 10X whose pricetag comes from its attention to historical detail, *not* in any way its competitiveness against modern scopes. To see what I mean, look at USO's ST-10- that is the modern equivalent of the MST. A fixed, no nonsense 10X. Its pricetag? About $900. You're not getting much more scope for the MST. What you're getting is nostalgia and close to perfect replication.

As many on here will say, the SN-3, the S&Bs, and the new Premiers are probably what you should be comparing against
smile.gif
. Happy shopping!</div></div>
Great job with this one big brother!!! I even told this one to my wife. When first getting up some of the cash for this one, she wasn't really onboard, but after the whole last run and me having all the stuff for the build, she was GTG. Telling her this today found her nodding her head.
GREAT POST!!!

PS: I'd take a Willy's Jeep over the present anyday, just for the cool factor.

Hehe, glad to be of service, though I didn't quite get what it helped you buy- an MST, an SN-3, or a BMW?
wink.gif

She wants the BMW....
Next time.
Chad