• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Mt. Lion i n the East

Re: Mt. Lion i n the East

I have seen one whial hiking w/my dog in Grafton Notch in Maine about 6 or 7 years ago. I was less than 15 feet from it, beautiful animal. I also was in the mountains of north Georgia about 17 years ago and had a big cat come into camp late at night. I heard it walking around my tent and then it screamed, I never got a visuial but the foot steps sounded pretty heavy (biger than a bobcat). I have heard of sightings in North Georgia for years.

We have the occasional unconfirmed sighting here in Central NY. I believe they are about as plentiful hereby as Champ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have the occasional unconfirmed sighting here in Central NY. I believe they are about as plentiful hereby as Champ. </div></div>

But do they have their own line of potato chips?

I think it's ridiculous to even consider that big cats aren't on the east coast. Hell, they never went anywhere. They've always been here. Just have a lot more places to hide with the many numerous (smallish) mountain ranges and all of the forests. The biggie is the black cat that family members of mine have seen NC over the past few years. I would pay good money to see one in person!

there have been guys here in Va with reports of seeing them, one guy had a picture of one dragging a nice white-tail buck on his trail cam.

Consider how rare bobcat sightings are, and they're native to all the lower 48 states.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSL1078</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have been seen all over Georgia. Tracks most often, but several deer cam pictures all over the state. A hunter killed one in SW part of the state while deer hunting. He was arrested and paid a big fine, I think. They traced the cat back to cats in the Everglades via DNA samples.

http://www.wildfelid.com/p7iq/pdf/Hunter-killed_cat_is_Florida_panther_8-5-09.pdf </div></div>

That's interesting because a buddy of mine told me he was seeing one around his house in middle Tennessee. I called a state game & fish agent to ask about the legality of hunting it. He told me I could expect a long vacation at federal expense if I managed to kill it.

He also told me he knew of two places in Tennessee (Cades Cove and Land Between the Lakes) where there were reliable reports of cougar sightings. His belief was that these aren't native animals but former pets that some well-meaning owner had released into the most game-rich area he could find when the animal got to be more than he could handle.

Coincidentally, I saw a big cat in LBL while I was dirt biking there years ago. It was bigger than a bobcat, plus it had a long tail. I took it to be black but that could have been the play of the shadows.

I have Pictures of a Black Panther but the Game and Fish dont belive me. If some one will tell me how to put them on here i will

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brock62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Pictures of a Black Panther but the Game and Fish dont belive me. If some one will tell me how to put them on here i will </div></div>
If it's a digital image, you can upload it free at The Image Shack.

I have ran hounds my entire life, and me along with about 20 of my closest friends have covered about every inch of the most remote country Va and WVa has to offer in the snow during bear season, and not one of us have as much as cut a track. Seen a metric shit ton of bob cats and as of late dogs, will bump a coyote. They may be here but they are hanging with Sasquatch.

Holy shit I grew up in Milford CT!!

I remember growing up there, deer were few and far between except for a couple farms, and I never saw a turkey until I was about 15.And I lived in the woods as a kid, Slowly everything came back in numbers. In the last 20 or so years everything has done a bang up job of repopulating due to the amount of private property and tree hugging anti hunters.

I remember arguing with a hunting buddy I grew up with because he would not believe me when I saw a coyote once. One coyote that I saw in the 20 years I lived there before boot camp. Last time I was up in CT I saw a coyote run across the highway at the underpass on 91 near the merge in down town New Haven. We just never saw coyotes except on TV, and a mountain lion, would be like seeing a unicorn.

The deer population was so good when I left that if you hunted every season, private, public, archery ect, ect, you could take 12 deer. There is definitely plenty of feed for the predators there, and enough private property that few hunters would see them.

Verry cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brock62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Pictures of a Black Panther but the Game and Fish dont belive me. If some one will tell me how to put them on here i will</div></div>
What exactly is a "Black Panther"? State wildlife officials usually disregard sightings of big black cats - for a reason.

There was one spotted near Homer Alaska too, somewhere there aren't any..

We have a bunch in Idaho and i spend more time than most out in the woods playing. I have only ever seen 1 when we weren't hunting them with dogs but have seen tons of tracks. They are smart and the east has some thick woods.

A Black Panther is actual a Spotted Leopard. The game Dept says that if they are any out there they were released buy people that got tired of them. They say they aren't out there but one retired Game warden told me if i shot it i could probably get in trouble for it, I said how can i get in trouble if you all say they don't exist. If you type in earl dotson and find my site called Usefilm.com i think there some pics on there of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brock62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If some one will tell me how to put them on here i will </div></div>

Post your pics to an image hosting site and then copy and paste the image code in a new post here.

Melanistic jaguars and leopards are known to exist, but if you have evidence of an actual black panther(cougar, mountain lion, puma), you will be the first.

In the first post with the close up shot measure the width of tire track to the right of the Panther to the width of the Cat.

There have been several sightings (some even confirmed) here in the Adirondacks... I believe the cats are around for sure. The habitat of the Adirondacks offers them everything they need! Including, places to HIDE!!! lots of wilderness here for them to get lost in.
Just like any cat, when they do not want to be found, they wont be...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brock62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Pictures of a Black Panther but the Game and Fish dont belive me. If some one will tell me how to put them on here i will</div></div>
What exactly is a "Black Panther"? State wildlife officials usually disregard sightings of big black cats - for a reason. </div></div>

Biologically speaking, black panthers do not exist. In other words a melistic moutain lion, florida panther, puma, etc. is not a color morph of that particular species.

If it was in fact a big black cat, the correct term would be a jaguar. Most often they are released pets or in the extreme SW reports show jags. to possibly be present.

AL officials refuse to believe they are here, but as a wildlife biologist, I can assure they are. They mainly do not want to deal with the changes that would occur to acknoledge them...

There have been reported sightings here in Southern VA for years, but nobody's produced any proof yet. It will probably happen soon enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There have been reported sightings here in Southern VA for years, but nobody's produced any proof yet. It will probably happen soon enough. </div></div> I dont see why they wouldnt be, Im just waiting to see one!

Holy shit... Thats the same cat I saw here in Eau Claire, WI!!!

News link

I thought it was yellow lab at first, but it was partially behind some trees... then I got a better look, and about shit myself!

I am only speaking on WV due to my experiences but have to agree with Jon here!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They may be here but they are hanging with Sasquatch.
</div></div>

grin.gif

Too many hours/days/months/years in the places they would call home in all times of the year. Ginsenging in late summer, brook trout fishing year round, hunting October to February in all terrains/covers. Mud, snow, dusty summers, never an unusual scat or track that would make me beleive something big cattish was in the neighborhood. Been in the woods from the four bowhunting only counties, to the central mountains and now in the eastern half of the alleghenies where there are a lot of people who "see" them, but no one can find you one. I have seen shit that didn't make sense myself as well, but can tell you its easy for your eyes to fool you upon further investigation of the phenomenon.

I think they are a lot more abundant than the state wildlife departments disclose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they are a lot more abundant than the state wildlife departments disclose. </div></div>

you KNOW thats a fact!!

california has so many lions!! why they wont let us hunt them; i have no clue!