• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mueller 30mm 8-32x44 target scope question

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
I will be doing exclusively target shooting at 100 , 200 and 300 yards/meters on my Savage 10FCP 5R , at least for a forseable future .
How good is the 30mm Mueller 8-32x44 Target scope ? Seems like I can get away with it and save a ton of money ... It has a target reticle with thin wires and a very small dot... ideal for small grouping on target shooting . I read that it is , for its price and for what I would be using it , a good deal with decent glass ... At least until I can be ready to start doing long range shooting and replace it with a FFP Vortex PST scope.
Am I correct on this ? I will apreciate some comments on that scope from the Gurus here , if possible ... Thanks

Re: Mueller 30mm 8-32x44 target scope question

I personally hate the target dot scopes. I would much rather have just a fine cross hair for a reticle, than a dot in the way.

I have practiced and learned to estimate ranges and holdovers with the Mil-Dot system. That is the reticle I prefer, even for just paper hole punchin. Look at the BSA Tactical from Midway. For the funds, I have been very happy with it so far...

DK

It is the 6-24x44 scope, with Mil-Dot reticle. I have not used the FFP model. I honestly prefer 2FP for target anyway...

DK

I had one. Nice scope for the money. Held zero, clear glass. I used it for bench only so i never really ran the knobs much. I really like the reticle for target shooting. The only downfall i could see is the limited amount of internal travel, especially for a 30mm scope. I would highly recommend the scope for anyone on a budget.

Well, that sounds like it is exactly what I need ... I will be using it only for the bench so no working of the knobs too much . I have a 20 Moa base mounted , but if the internal travel won`t do to 100 yds(which I hope it does)then I will just replace the 20 Moa base with a standard base , which cost $40 , so I am still ahead on many hundreds of dollars on an expensive scope .
I just ordered so I`ll see how it does