• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mueller APT 4-14x40

cmh2007

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Katy TX
Ok guys, i did a short review of the apt. first observations were that this scope is very well built, with a one piece tube, and nicely made target turrets. i ordered it from Dennis at Mizzou mule guns out of alaska. shopping took exactly 2 days out of their shipping facility in Missouri. the rings were Tacsol, but they look exactly like warnne, rings. they appear to be very high quality, and are of the quick release type. i mounted it to a Porter Precision custom 20 MOA Picatinny rail.

The glass easilly beat out my nikon prostaff, and beat my old simmons 44mag by leaps and bounds. at 14 power it was clear enough to easilly see .308, .223, and .17 bullet holes at 100 yards. the scope is incrediblly bright, even more so than an old redfield, and my nikon again. last night i took the scope outside on a cloudy night, with light from the end of the street, immages were crystal clear. the cross hairs are thin enough that at that late hour even at 4.5 power it was becoming difficult to see. im sure that at dusk and dawn they would be just fine. the fast focus ring, is much better design than that of this scopes predecessor, being fast focus rather than the whole bell moving.

when i popped the turrets off, they are sealed with an O-ring, and have a brass tooth apparatus that the knob attaches to. they are held down by one slotted screw, and an oring, great set up except for the only allowing zero to the half MOA. this worked out fine for me, as my adjustments ended up on zero. the turrets are .25moa and the clicks are very tactile and audible. they are also repeatable. the adjustable objective is fairly close in its markings, so there should be no major issue if it is played with to get the best sight picture. the zoom ring is easy to use, but not so loose as to allow the zoom to be changed by brushing it by an object while on the sling.

the reticle is a mildot reticle, it is standardized. the milling setting is the 10 power instead of max, which would have been better. the reticle is made out of wire, which i believe will be sufficent for most calibers up to and just above the .308 which i mounted mine to. the scope by my calculations has approximately 80 minutes of elevation and approxmately the same for windage.

I did a box test after getting sighted in, initally being 9 inches high at 100yds. once i got it on the paper correctly at 100 yards, resetting the zero was as easy as spinning a screw, lifting the turret, and dropping it on the right tooth. in the box test, i fired 3 shots at the center, dialed 4MOA up/right fired 3, dialed 8MOA down, 3 more, 8MOA left, 3 more, 8MOA up, and then 4MOA down/right. it worked out good. the first 3 were a little low do to me forgetting to put my rear rest under my gun and shooting only off the bipod.

My overall opinion of this scope is its an excellent buy for the money.
here are some pics of the scope on my model 700 and the box test
IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

Ps. forgot to state that scope is in shooters MOA

Re: Mueller APT 4-14x40

UPS is holding mine for randsom I think. Hope it gets here soon. Thanks for the review.

I concur with the review - excellent buy for the money. I purchased the Mueller APV 4-14x40 for my daughter's xmas 10/22 and couldn't be happier...

Thanks for the review. Looks like a lot of scope for the money. What is the overall length?

ill have to get that tomorrow for you, its in the safe right now, still holding onto my .308

Thanks. Been considering an APT to go along with my APV. For low-budget optics, they're not bad...

I have two of the mueller, one on my .308 and one on slug gun
great scopes

glad i could be of some help. i enjoyed doing it, now if only i could get Rich at Mueller to send me a 8-32x44 to test

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pvfd304</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the review. Looks like a lot of scope for the money. What is the overall length?

</div></div>

Length is 14 inches from bell to bell, and the sunshade is 3 inches. it comes with some covers, but i plan on sticking some buttler creek flipups on it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTriever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Been considering an APT to go along with my APV. For low-budget optics, they're not bad... </div></div>

I like it better than the APV on Megan's 10/22. the turrets, and the adjustment range, do it for me.

I have looked though 8 different Mueller's thus far and seen 1 tortured for 20 rounds on a Barrett 50 BMG and have yet to see the weak link for the price . The 1 on the 50 ran out of elevation at 900 yards and the 1/8th MOA clicks can be a turnoff but the glass is outstanding even for scopes priced 4-5 times higher and most will resolve parralax down to 10 yards which is imperative for a rimfire scope . I have 2 in posession and 2 more in the works . These scopes aren't just great for the money they are just flatout great little scopes .

has it lost zero on the 50? and what model do you have on it?

on a side note on another forum, this same review found one guy that just can not either stand the scope, company, or me the indipendant reviewer. what is it about people that cant be happy with anything

because you cant have a good scope for less then 1500 bucks. I bought one knowing its not a Nightforce, I dont plan to compare it to or say its close to a nightforce. Some guys have to stroke ther E peens by downing a decent product.

Its a good scope for a budget rifle and a great price.

Howdy

My pard put it on his Barrett Model 99 bore sighted it and ran 20 rounds through it . He then returned it to its original zero and bolted it on whatever rifle he pulled it off of and drove on . It was more of a ,"Lets Bolt that thing on the .50 and see if it breaks." kind of moment . He figured if it broke he would send it back and get a new one . It is not something He or I would run on that rifle permanently due to a lack of elevation but for varmint rifles and .22's the Muellers simply cannot be beat .

I actually have an 8-32 mounted on my Les Baer AR just because I didn't have any other scope and the price was what I could afford . When I can afford to replace it I will move the scope to either my .223 bolt gun or one of the many .22's that seem to sneak their way into my safe .

The 4.5-14 APV we put on my Daughters 10-22 however failed about 10 rounds into its life when the mueller logo popped off the side
wink.gif
I superglued it back on and it seems to be working fine
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pard put it on his Barrett Model 99 bore sighted it and ran 20 rounds through it . He then returned it to its original zero and bolted it on whatever rifle he pulled it off of and drove on . It was more of a ,"Lets Bolt that thing on the .50 and see if it breaks." kind of moment . He figured if it broke he would send it back and get a new one . It is not something He or I would run on that rifle permanently due to a lack of elevation but for varmint rifles and .22's the Muellers simply cannot be beat .

I actually have an 8-32 mounted on my Les Baer AR just because I didn't have any other scope and the price was what I could afford . When I can afford to replace it I will move the scope to either my .223 bolt gun or one of the many .22's that seem to sneak their way into my safe .

The 4.5-14 APV we put on my Daughters 10-22 however failed about 10 rounds into its life when the mueller logo popped off the side
wink.gif
I superglued it back on and it seems to be working fine
grin.gif
</div></div>
That APV you daughter has must be total crap
grin.gif

as for the one you had on the 50, that was the apt? by my estimates, on the one i have it has roughly 80-90inches adjustment elevation wise and close to the same for windage, which is much better than the apv which i think is somewhere in the range of 60

Sorry I thought you wanted to know which model of Barrett it was , my Pard put the 8-32 Target Dot on his .50 .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wish they made it with a side focus, whats the price on one of these? </div></div>

SWFA has them for 144.95 + SH ...... Link to scope on SWFA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1/8th MOA clicks can be a turnoff </div></div>

This one is 1/4 MOA.

If it was mil adjustment then it would be great!

It seems like I heard verticle adjustment is 60moa which is a little short you would think for a 30mm tube. Can anyone confirm actual travel?

it will do a full 6 rotations plus a little at each end, at 15" per rotation. i mounted it to a 20 moa rail, so it will definately get plenty of travel.

I have a new Nikon 4.5X14 buckmaster, I'm considering selling it to buy an 8x24 mueller to put atop my DPMS LR-308.

Is the glass really better than the Nikon? I plan to spend much of my time shooting around 500 yards, and between 500 and 1K once or twice a year.

I'd like more magnification than the Nikon so, are these things good enough to sell a quality piece of glass like the Nikon?

Ive heard (not seen yet) that the Mueller glass is comparable to VX2 glass, on there Tac II model it compares to the VX3 or a little better. Again this is second hand on reviews ive read.

howdy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: howdydoit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive heard (not seen yet) that the Mueller glass is comparable to VX2 glass, on there Tac II model it compares to the VX3 or a little better. Again this is second hand on reviews ive read.

howdy </div></div>

I have had two Muellers in the recent past, a APV and an Eradicator. Bother were well worth the money spent. I tell people all the time any Mueller is going to be better than a VX-1, even the lower end ones like the APV. I have compared them side by side and the Muellers are clearer.

I have never looked through the TacII model but everyone who I have talked to who owns one loves it.

Muellers customer service is great also. I sent the Eradicator in after it developed a problem. Got the replacement back in about a week with and extra sunshade for my trouble.

I will own another Mueller and the APT is added to the list of "wants" because of this review. Thanks for taking the time to review and post pictures, I appreciate it.

Dolomite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a new Nikon 4.5X14 buckmaster, I'm considering selling it to buy an 8x24 mueller to put atop my DPMS LR-308.

Is the glass really better than the Nikon? I plan to spend much of my time shooting around 500 yards, and between 500 and 1K once or twice a year.

I'd like more magnification than the Nikon so, are these things good enough to sell a quality piece of glass like the Nikon? </div></div>
to my eye, it blows away the prostaff that i have. its brighter, and appears clearer too. what i would say is to keep the Nikon if you really like it, and order the Mueller, and compare side by side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dolomite_Supafly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: howdydoit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive heard (not seen yet) that the Mueller glass is comparable to VX2 glass, on there Tac II model it compares to the VX3 or a little better. Again this is second hand on reviews ive read.

howdy </div></div>

I have had two Muellers in the recent past, a APV and an Eradicator. Bother were well worth the money spent. I tell people all the time any Mueller is going to be better than a VX-1, even the lower end ones like the APV. I have compared them side by side and the Muellers are clearer.

I have never looked through the TacII model but everyone who I have talked to who owns one loves it.

Muellers customer service is great also. I sent the Eradicator in after it developed a problem. Got the replacement back in about a week with and extra sunshade for my trouble.

I will own another Mueller and the APT is added to the list of "wants" because of this review. Thanks for taking the time to review and post pictures, I appreciate it.

Dolomite </div></div>
Like i said, it was no big deal, and i kind of enjoied doing it...thanks for the kind words

got mine today. I havent looked at it very hard yet but im taking it to work where ill ring it out a bit. lol

howdy

Okay just checked and centered my reticle. Ive got 84.25 moa elevation and 92 windage.

I looked at an eye chart with the AO set on 10 yards, (standing about 8yds away from chart). I could see the made in china writing and the bottom line was crisp/clear. When i moved the power up to around 7x I could read 'the made in china' clearly and it stayed clear all the way to 14 power. Havent checked anything at distance yet as im at work righ now.

howdy

thanks for verifying the elevation and windage movments. i am at work and wont beable to get to mine for another 3 weeks

Well, if anyone is curious, here are my HD videos taken through a Mueller TacII on a rainy day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-jkgqDg-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJZYIg9qTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A2VXAsKZs8

I used a custom base that Precision Rifle Solutions built for me to attach the scope to a video tripod. Then I used the Orion Steady Pix Deluxe to stably hold my HD camcorder to the scope.

If anyone will volunteer their APT, I'll gladly do HD videos of that too
grin.gif

Little update...put another 135 rounds down the tube. ranges were from 200-600 yards. out to 400 yards on max power a 30 cal hole was barely visible, but when i shot at a shoot and see, it was clearly visible...then at 600, the shoot and see made the non visible holes were barely visible. mind you this is a 14 power scope, that cost 150 bux. it keeps impressing me more

here are some through the scope pics for comparison of new and old
old simmons 44mag, set at 20 power, ao set for proper range
IMG_2705.jpg

here is the APT
IMG_2704.jpg

you wouldnt believe how hard it is to hold a camera, align it with the scope, and hold a 15pound rifle steady all at the same time

forgot to say in the original post that the eye relief is fairly generous, i think some 3.5 inches, and does not change with power

Got mine today, going to mount it on a remington 40X with 20moa base. Looks good so far, range report later.

you will enjoy it...and the best part is mueller's customer service, is second to none.

I am going to order one of the Mueller APT 4-14x40 scopes to go one my Remington VTR .308. Sounds like just what I am looking for. Thanks for the review.

no problem...i dont mind yall posting up your findings when you play with them either...that way if anything is wrong, nothing is misleading or incorrect.

Ive had mine for a couple of weeks. I love it. The rifle will be going off to the smith soon so wont have anything to post. But the Optic is one hell uva deal.

howdy

Cool! This thread caused me to register here. However, it leaves me a little conflicted.

On the one hand, I was planning to use some of my tax refund to buy a Mueller Tac II for my AR-15. I also have an APV on my 10-22 and I'd like the glass to be a little better.

On the other hand, the APT is 30mm, has an AO, better turrets, and a sun shade.

The Tac II seems to be the better scope, but I get the nagging feeling that it might be an orphan. Mueller hasn't done anything with that product line. I wish I could sit down with both of them on a range and compare.

i have not played with the TAC II, but i can tell you that you will not be disappointed with it.

Got my Mueller 4.5x14 apt in the mail yesterday, put it on my rifle and went to shoot today. Man was I surprised,the glass is very clear the adjustments are crisp and precise. The scope is worth more than I payed for it to me,I am a very happy customer and everyone that has seen it was amazed that it only cost 145.00 with the sunshade.With this scope on my Remington .308 VTR i was consistantly shooting 3/4" groups at a 100 yds.I want to see just how small of a group i can get with it, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Mueller makes a great scope! thanks Seaaggie for the review it helped me make up my mind on this scope.

I got mine from Mizzou Mule, great price and I had it in three days . They have great service so far as I can tell.

i order most of my stuff from him...infact i think i am acutally going to order another APT for my ar and give my wife my Nikon for hers...and in the next year or so i will also write up a review on the Mueller 8-32x44 target dot scope...so stay tuned later in the year.